21 replies to this topic

#21 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostChristopher, on 08 November 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Besides, sometimes helplessness is a valid place to send a character. I liked the way they handled Ward here -- he's used to being a man of action, to having straightforward problems he can hit, so we saw here how much it troubled him to face an abstract problem and not know what he could do to help. That was a good bit of character-building.

Exactly this.  I really liked that scene, for every reason you just said.  It was a moving revelation, while making total sense for the character.  We usually see him totally unfazed by any sort of danger, but of course the one that completely unnerves him is the kind of danger he can't hit / chase / capture etc.

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 November 2013 - 01:34 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#22 RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

^^  I also liked the way he put it:  "I can't protect you."  He sees himself as the protective big brother of the group.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 08 November 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

I only had one problem though, with the idea that dropping her in the ocean would somehow contain the contagion.  Sure, it would save the plane, but I think it would have doomed the Earth very quickly.

The virus spreads by electrical current, and water conducts electricity.  And given the variety of species shown to be susceptible to the virus (it jumped from Chitauri to Humans after all), I have to believe that the vast majority of ocean life could be infected, probably even down to the microscopic level.

So if she fell in the ocean, she would have immediately infected the patch of ocean around her, which would quickly have spread to rest of the ocean, followed shortly by the rest of the world.  
That's a good point, and would have been true of any kind of alien disease-- the last thing you'd want to do is let it get into the ocean.  From the perspective of protecting the planet, blowing up the plane would have been the best solution, as it would have offered the best chance of eradicating the disease.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users