Arrow

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

While Oliver (Stephen Amell) tends to the Canary’s (Caity Lotz) wounds, he tries to get her to talk about where she came from but she refuses. However, after Oliver and the Canary are attacked at the Queen mansion by a trained killer from the League of Assassins, she confesses to how she’s connected with the nefarious group. Meanwhile with Moira (Susanna Thompson) facing multiple counts of murder and conspiracy for her part in the destruction of The Glades, the Assistant District Attorney (guest star Dylan Bruce) offers her a choice – plead guilty now and avoid the death penalty or take your chances in court. Thea (Willa Holland) begs her mother to fight for her life but Moira seems resolute about taking the offer. Meanwhile, Oliver is furious with Laurel (Katie Cassidy) for joining the prosecution’s team on his mother’s case.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Lots of really great character development in this episode. I especially liked the scenes between Quentin and Sara. Fantastic acting, especially from Paul Blackthorne.

And so far, it appears that Sara was saved from possibly being raped by the men on the boat by Professor Ivo. On the other hand, it still doesn't seem like she had very good experiences on there given that she was the one sent to presumably torture Oliver.

Fixed typos.

Edited by NeuralClone, 06 November 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

This was a very strong one. Some really good acting, especially from Paul Blackthorne and Willa Holland. Caity Lotz was pretty good too. I'm disappointed that she's going away so soon -- I hope it's not for long.

I wonder what they have planned for Professor Ivo. I assume he's not a robot maker in this version.

Not crazy about them running a "miniseries" that's really just an extended Bose commercial. At least it's not incorporated into the episodes themselves, although there was a pretty blatant Bose product placement a week or two ago, when Laurel was listening to their speaker thingy in a scene and then the same thingy was promoted in a commercial minutes later.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

This was fine but disappointing v the rest of S2. Laurel is less likeable than before. I don't care what happens to Moira. The actress playing Sara has a perpetually surly facial expression that is off-putting. Not enough Felicity and Diggle. Practically NO advancement of Ollie's back story. Thanks to a fellow geek I've learned a bit about Professor Ivo.

For me Paul Blackthorne was the clear MVP.

More on Laurel...her being anywhere NEAR Moira's is a no brainer of a conflict and I'm disappointed the writers would even go there.  They could have done the "Moira decides to fight" plot without her.

Laurel's feeling rejected by Ollie was just groan worthy.  Gewd gawd woman do you remember that it was YOU who pushed OLLIE away?  Could she be ANY more self involved?  Meh.

Edited by Bad Wolf, 07 November 2013 - 01:48 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Come to think of it, I'm sure Sara/Black Canary will return, since they wouldn't have built the clock tower set if they didn't plan to reuse it. Hmm, maybe they'll set up their own version of the Birds of Prey with Sara, Huntress, and Felicity as Oracle.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Only I hope Felicity doesn't end up in a wheel chair.  That would be tragic.  And they would need to get someone who can act to play the Huntress.

I'm also sure that this Sara thing isn't over.  I won't be surprised if we're heading to a winter finale scene where Sara reveals to a by then addict/alcoholic Laurel and her mother that she's alive.
Posted Image

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have no problems with the actress who played the Huntress, she seems to be doing just fine as Lucy on Dracula. And I'm sure we'lll be seeing more of Sara escpecially in the flashbacks. I just saw the first of Dylan Neal's two Smallville appearances so it was nice seeing him here as well and Jimmy Jean-Louis too.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

She really IS doing fine as Lucy on Dracula.  Some people just do better in different roles.  Witness how dynamic and enjoyable Alex O'Loughlin is in H50 compared to the dull as used dishwater he was on Moonlighting.  At any rate, imnsho, as the Huntress, that actress was painfully bad.  Glad to see her doing so much better on Dracula.
Posted Image

#9 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostChristopher, on 07 November 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Come to think of it, I'm sure Sara/Black Canary will return, since they wouldn't have built the clock tower set if they didn't plan to reuse it. Hmm, maybe they'll set up their own version of the Birds of Prey with Sara, Huntress, and Felicity as Oracle.

Wasn't that left over from either Smallville or Birds of Prey??
Cats will never be extinct!

#10 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 07 November 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Witness how dynamic and enjoyable Alex O'Loughlin is in H50 compared to the dull as used dishwater he was on Moonlighting.

I loved him on Moonlighting!  That and a few Spike episodes are the only vampire things I've ever liked!  And I only discovered Moonlighting by accident between or following something I watched on SyFy.  Different strokes and all that.
Cats will never be extinct!

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

^  Totally.

I would have loved Moonlighting with a different lead. I liked the story quite a bit and all the rest of the cast.
Posted Image

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Moonlight. ;)

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostThemis, on 07 November 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

View PostChristopher, on 07 November 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Wasn't that left over from either Smallville or Birds of Prey??

If you're referring to the clock tower, that comes from the original Birds of Prey comic book series. The BoP television series was a loose attempt to adapt that comic, and Smallville later adopted the clock tower idea itself, casting Chloe Sullivan in an Oracle-like role, although it conflated the clock tower with the Watchtower, the Justice League headquarters. Now that Arrow has introduced its own version of Black Canary, it's brought the clock tower idea with her (since these days BoP is the comic she's most associated with other than Green Arrow). However, all three clock towers have been different sets and different digital models. (In fact, I think the Smallville clock tower's exterior was repurposed from a different, non-clock-tower building in Birds of Prey's digital cityscape.)

Facebook Author Page

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

One of the assassins said to Sara "You think, because you are the prophet, you will be granted your freedom".  What could that mean?  :think:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

^^^ Oooh, interesting! I didn't catch that. Looking forward to seeing what that's all about.

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Are you sure that's what they said?

Facebook Author Page

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm not entirely sure, but that's what it sounded like.  I already deleted it now, but I played that line back several times to hear it better before posting.

It's at the end of the fight in the clock tower, when Sara has the lead assassin (Al Awal?) in a choke hold with her fighting stick.  He says that to her, and she answers something about giving him his "freedom", before snapping his neck with her stick.

It was a little hard to hear what he said, but that was the best I could make out.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

I would say that it was what he said, after checking the scene again.

This was a very good one, especially because of the progress in the Canary story. I like that they are not holding out with it.

I concur with Christopher. Willa Holland was terrific here. But then again, I always thought she was a very talented actress. Caity Lotz was impressive as well.

As for Sara:

Spoiler

Greets
Lambsilencer

#19 Charlie

Charlie
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

I'm sure that Al-Owal called her "the Beloved"  happened at least twice I think.  I'm assuming that the history of the term and Talia Al-Ghul, plus the reference that "the child of Raz Al-Ghul" was waiting for her means that Sara had been acting in a Nanny or big sister type role to Talia.  

It would be interesting in part because it would place this series chronological several years if not a decade before the Batman story starts.  

Charlie

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

No it was the FAVORITE, not the prophet
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users