54 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Spoilers

Ward and Fritz are sent on a classified Level 8 mission.

Edited by DWF, 12 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,504 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Level 8. Bah. Mine goes up to 11.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

This was pretty solid, with some good character-building as well as organization-building for SHIELD. We're definitely learning more about Fitz and Simmons now that they're not always joined at the hip. And I liked mixing up the interactions. Skye-Simmons is a fun pairing, and Ward-Fitz worked pretty well too. And it was interesting seeing Coulson mediate between Skye and Hand, sticking to the party line with Skye but being an advocate for his team with Hand. And I see that he's finally starting to realize something's wrong with his impulse to parrot "It's a magical place" every time Tahiti comes up, and to dig into the question. Oh, and Coulson and May's "talk" where she didn't say a word was fun.

When Coulson came to May after telling Skye about the female SHIELD agent dropping her off, I thought for a moment that we were about to get the revelation that May was Skye's mother. But I guess the agent/possible mother was the corpse in the photo.

I think that, with the appearance of Jasper Sitwell (whose name I keep mixing up with Farley Stillwell, the guy who created the Scorpion), the show has now featured every SHIELD comics character who's appeared in the movies and isn't technically a superhero (like Black Widow or Hawkeye). Plus we get a comics character who hasn't been in the movies, Victoria Hand.

That sandwich sounded really good. Tragic that it had to go to waste.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

I liked the Yoyodyne Propulsion sign on the truck trailer, but the plot was fairly predictable and rather simple. Coulson has lost his sense of humor and really doesn't appear to do much on the show though, but then that might a side effect of whatever was used to bring him back to life.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Oh, and there was a bit of foreshadowing for Captain America: The Winter Soldier when Skye said the Hub was impressive and Simmons replied, "Wait until you see the Triskelion." I gather that's the primary SHIELD ground facility in the comics, and it's been suggested that it will appear in CA:TWS. I take this as confirmation.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 12 November 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

:laughlong: :laughlong: :laughlong: :laughlong:
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#7 Psykopsyke

Psykopsyke
  • Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

"Tahiti is a magical place."  I think Coulson has been programmed/brainwashed into not remembering.  The Tahiti phrase/mantra blocks all of his memories of events.  But the real question is why?  The Skye story arc is a reflection of Coulson's arc.

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,694 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

^^^ Essentially.

Skye is Suspicious and apparently must learn to Trust; and
Coulson is Trusting and must learn to be Suspicious of this organization for whom he works.

Of course, considering this is SHIELD which is as much built on lies, deceptions and secrets; and given that they're prone to play games with their own members with the hope that said agents will jump in the right direction; I'd argue that SHIELD really isn't the most trustworthy of organizations.  While their goals may be noble and just; their tactics tend to more closely resemble that of villains.

Then there was the whole military invasion of South Ossetia that SHIELD conducted, which I hope leads to complications for SHIELD viz. Russia if only because some former imperial powers simply do not take kindly to outsiders conducting military operations on territory on or near their own.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Keep in mind that the MCU's SHIELD is apparently a multinational organization, and they seem to have authority to operate all over the world.

Facebook Author Page

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Wasn't there a line in one ep about them not being able to go into China?  I think the idea is - they're Super NATO plus whoever has signed up since the end of the Cold War.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,504 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

^^  I suspect Russia is either a member organization or authorized the mission. They have a big problem with insurgents and probably wouldn't be averse to a little help.

View Postkcsue, on 12 November 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 12 November 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

:laughlong: :laughlong: :laughlong: :laughlong:  
:lol:

This was another great episode-- the only problem I had with it was that there were no repercussions to Jemma shooting Sitwell.  That should have merited a stern talking-to, at least.  If not court martial and incarceration.

But otherwise, it was fun from start to finish.  The mission was just a framework to hang the character interactions on:  Ward and Fitz on a mission and bonding (pun intended), Jemma freaking out over Fitz, Sky leading Jemma astray by using her anxiety over Fitz, Coulson reading Sky the riot act for accessing classified info and then reading Veronica Hand the riot act for keeping him out of the loop, Sky passing up the information she's been looking for all her life in favor of helping Fitz and Ward, Coulson getting her the information as promised, and, of course, Coulson's "talk" with May.

Unfortunately, it looks like the ratings continue to erode week after week, so this show may not be renewed.  At least we'll get one good DVD set out of it, at least.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

That could be.  I suspect the winter soldier will have to make it clear whether Russia is part of their world security council or not.

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Even with eroding ratings, this show has too much synergistic value for ABC not to get a second season, methinks.

Me also keeps getting strong vibes that Skye is the love child of Coulson and May, probably from watching too much Once Upon a Time and reading too many Dickens novels. May could have entrusted the baby to this agent who got killed.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I don't think I want Skye to be May's daughter, because that would make the presence of two Asian-American women in the show's lead cast feel less like progressive, colorblind casting, since the two would be correlated rather than having been independently cast because they were the best ones for the roles.

Facebook Author Page

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

If they had some kind of understanding with Sam Jackson, I'd say it was fury.  Otherwise, my money is on Victoria Hand - at least for the moment.

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,694 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostChristopher, on 13 November 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the MCU's SHIELD is apparently a multinational organization, and they seem to have authority to operate all over the world.

Actually, that aspect is something I'd like to see explored more fully, if only because it'd be nice to see just where SHIELD's limits are, as well as how it was set up.  They kind of touched on it with the Malta matter, but I haven't seen anything else to suggest that SHIELD had any other limitations.

And given that in the Avengers they unilaterally tried to nuke a major tax base for the US, I'd expect that the US government would want to revisit any agreements it had with the organization to prevent a reprise of that incident.

Also, I'd imagine that SHIELD would in turn be under surveillance by any number of intelligence agencies who would be concerned with what they were up to.  In short, SHIELD should have far more rivals/opponents than the fictional Centipede, Hydra, AIM, etc.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#17 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Presumably the Powers Boothe character on the World Security Council, which ordered the nuclear strike, is the American representative...

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,099 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

There have certainly been other works of fiction wherein the US government itself has ordered a nuclear strike on one of its own cities to prevent a far more global cataclysm, such as Fail Safe and The Andromeda Strain. I'm always surprised when people react to the Council's decision to bomb New York as if it were some unconscionable attack on America. It was the only way they knew to close the portal that was allowing an invasion that would destroy the entire planet if it weren't stopped, and Fury's plan to place the fate of the world in the hands of a dissolute billionaire, a defrosted WWII hero, an alien Viking, a couple of ordinary-human SHIELD agents, and an uncontrollable green monster was hardly one that would inspire a lot of confidence in an outside observer. If anything, the Council made the most responsible choice it could've made, and Fury was the one taking an incredibly reckless gamble with the fate of the world.

Facebook Author Page

#19 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,694 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

(shrug)

Andromeda Strain was set in the middle of nowhere with the nuke as a self-destruct in the event of catastrophic failure.  So the intent and design would've had the same equivalent effect of an A-Bomb test in the desert.

Fail Safe was ... well ... stupid.  But, still, you had the POTUS make the decision, not some shadowy council of some extra-national organization that apparently has no loyalty to anyone or anything outside their own ambitions.

Admittedly, given the size of the warhead, SHIELD was probably employing tactical nukes as opposed to their city-destroying brethren; but even so, in the best case scenario there'd still be the collateral damage, fall out, and radiation sickness to be treated, as well as the unexpected shock to the local, if not national or global economies; so, yeah, people would be screaming about that particular decision, and answers would be demanded, whether or not SHIELD was an arm of the US Government.  Just look at the outcry over the NSA's shenanigans as a for instance.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 November 2013 - 02:28 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Isn't that why SHIELD is a clandestine organization?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users