• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

All of this is a big part of why the show is struggling to find its sea legs right now.  Marvel is asking us to understand that SHIELD is a complicated, compromised organization that on balance does way more good than bad.  In that way, it is an analog for our own real life military/paramilitary/espionage organizations.  At least, we HOPE so.  So it's good that they have a whistleblower/hacker character like Skye - who is there to question things that the trained agents don't, but that we (civilians) WOULD.  The tension is natural, and obviously it was a big part of the B-plot in The Avengers, too.  None of them trust SHIELD - but they're not like, "Death to SHIELD!" either.  It has its place, as the movie demonstrates.

The show, on the other hand, is not able to drive that home as successfully because the big revelations about SHIELD (how it's run; who runs it; who has oversight - if anyone; whether they really have our best interests at heart; who/what are they protecting people from?, etc) are all reserved for Cap 2.  

Next season, they'll be tasked with leading up to Avengers 2, and will be hamstrung in the same way vis-a-vis plot points reserved for that movie, but at least we'll have a better idea how we're supposed to feel when SHIELD wins one on the show.  Or loses one.  And where the Bus and its crew fit in.  Right now, we have no idea about any of that.

Edited by BklnScott, 15 November 2013 - 06:25 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#42 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 15 November 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

All of this is a big part of why the show is struggling to find its sea legs right now.  Marvel is asking us to understand that SHIELD is a complicated, compromised organization that on balance does way more good than bad.  In that way, it is an analog for our own real life military/paramilitary/espionage organizations.  At least, we HOPE so.  So it's good that they have a whistleblower/hacker character like Skye - who is there to question things that the trained agents don't, but that we (civilians) WOULD.  The tension is natural, and obviously it was a big part of the B-plot in The Avengers, too.  None of them trust SHIELD - but they're not like, "Death to SHIELD!" either.  It has its place, as the movie demonstrates.

The show, on the other hand, is not able to drive that home as successfully because the big revelations about SHIELD (how it's run; who runs it; who has oversight - if anyone; whether they really have our best interests at heart; who/what are they protecting people from?, etc) are all reserved for Cap 2.  

Next season, they'll be tasked with leading up to Avengers 2, and will be hamstrung in the same way vis-a-vis plot points reserved for that movie, but at least we'll have a better idea how we're supposed to feel when SHIELD wins one on the show.  Or loses one.  And where the Bus and its crew fit in.  Right now, we have no idea about any of that.
Basically, what Scott said.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#43 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

I adored this episode. I loved the Ward Fitz character work.  I LOVE LOVE LOVED Coulsen in this and his interactions with both the HUB and with Skye.  Simmons still annoys the hell out of me.  I ADORED Colsen's "conversation" with May.  I loved the contrast between the way Coulsen's team operates and how the HUB operates but also how in the end the HUB realizes it can trust Coulsen's team.  I was intrigued by that one pic we saw from Skye's file.

Most of all....I really want to know what happens next.  I'm finally 100% on board with the show. :D
Posted Image

#44 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Did no one else have a problem with how Skye was written in this episode?  I found her entitled attitude and childish whining about being left out of the loop (when she's still wearing a monitoring device as a reminder that she is NOT a particularly trustworthy person) so offputting that it pretty much killed what little affection I'd developed for the character so far.

No, I did too - but consider it par for the course. I find Skye very immature as a character, she's like a teenager, sarcastic all the time in a totally not funny way. Entitled, arrogant, constantly complaining, always fishing for compliments and surprised when she isn't trusted immediately after betraying them. Sure, they're naive to trust her so much, but she irritates me with her attitude even more.

Melinda May is my favourite, Coulson second. Her scenes are the only ones that have any life in them for me.

I'll watch the next couple of eps but am not remotely surprised at the plummeting ratings. It has nothing to offer. Nothing fresh, nothing original, the characters and plots are clichés and are two dimensional imo. It's losing me.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#45 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

On the topic of the show's ratings, I read today that it's actually one of ABC's top-performing shows. Which suggests that the others' ratings aren't doing much better. TV ratings on the whole are on the decline these days, so any raw ratings number needs to be placed in context.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#46 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I can understand that Coulson has something we of yet unexplained in hjis life but on the other hand he's not celebrating that he is alive, he's obsessive about what happpned to him. Simmons needed a good scolding at the very least for tasering Stillwell. Skye seems to ask the questions no one else seems to interested in and without her interference Coulson would've known that Ward and Fritz were on a one way mission.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#47 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

On the topic of the show's ratings, I read today that it's actually one of ABC's top-performing shows. Which suggests that the others' ratings aren't doing much better. TV ratings on the whole are on the decline these days, so any raw ratings number needs to be placed in context.

While the relatively high ratings for ABC indicate the show is likely to get a second season, it is noticeably hemorrhaging viewers week to week. Other ABC series may have never had SHIELD's initial audience but held on to more of their viewers. What the ratings patterns show is that viewers wanted to like the show, gave it a chance, but this far in are giving up on it.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#48 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well, as I've said before, a lot of shows are slow to find their voices, and audiences tend to bail too quickly these days. I think the show is getting better, and hopefully the audience will come back. Maybe the Thor and Captain America movie tie-ins will help bring people back and give them an opportunity to see that it's improved.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#49 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

While I agree people are many series too quickly, Tues. night at 8PM EST was a terrible night to put Agents Of SHIELD on, But then Agents Of SHIELD is a rather simple show and has very little IMO of Whedon's trademarks.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#50 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 15 November 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Black Widow a true believer?  She herself is a liar and killer and she knows it.  That's the other part of Loki's line - "you're all liars and killers in the service of liars and killers." I think she believes in Fury - not SHIELD.  And Fury himself?  What does he believe in?  Defying his bosses to put together the Avengers - a team so powerful it could take SHIELD out - doesn't suggest his faith in the organization is at an all time high..

But that is just it, she is driven to wipe out the red in her ledger. Yes, she used that to trick Loki but she was able to do it because that is indeed her goal. It's just that BW is just as good as Loki at the manipulation game. She IS a true believer, in thinking that Fury and SHIELD can give her the redemption she seeks.

enTranced
Posted Image

#51 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostenTranced, on 17 November 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on 15 November 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Black Widow a true believer?  She herself is a liar and killer and she knows it.  That's the other part of Loki's line - "you're all liars and killers in the service of liars and killers." I think she believes in Fury - not SHIELD.  And Fury himself?  What does he believe in?  Defying his bosses to put together the Avengers - a team so powerful it could take SHIELD out - doesn't suggest his faith in the organization is at an all time high..

But that is just it, she is driven to wipe out the red in her ledger. Yes, she used that to trick Loki but she was able to do it because that is indeed her goal. It's just that BW is just as good as Loki at the manipulation game. She IS a true believer, in thinking that Fury and SHIELD can give her the redemption she seeks.

enTranced

Somehow I think the new Captain America movie might prove you wrong there.

#52 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

^ Maybe so but that is her goal in The Avengers, she says the same thing to Loki and Hawkeye. She is broken and trying to repair herself.

enTranced
Posted Image

#53 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I agree with all your points, eT.  She does believe in SHIELD, I think, and by the end, in The Avengers... But that said, I think every single thing she told Loki about herself is true, including the bit about how she rolls with the punches when it comes to regime change.  

BTW, we all get that all the best stuff ScarJo gets to do in the movie was stolen brazenly - gloriously - from Silence of the Lambs, right?  Red in the ledger = lambs screaming.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#54 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostenTranced, on 18 November 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

^ Maybe so but that is her goal in The Avengers, she says the same thing to Loki and Hawkeye. She is broken and trying to repair herself.

enTranced

That's what she tells Loki but I think she's got a better hold on things than might think, but I do believe her beliefs in SHIELD will quesitoned in the movie.

#55 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

This link was posted recently on another forum.  It's a very positive review of "The Hub" by somebody who gets it.

View PostG-man, on 15 November 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I suspect this was why no one really came down hard on Sky and Gemma for their actions, because that is what SHIELD had hoped they would do.  
This occurred to me as well.  When Sitwell walked in on Hand toward the end, I expected him to make some comments in that direction.  It felt a bit anticlimactic when he didn't.

View PostChristopher, on 16 November 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Well, that's good news for the future of SHIELD, if not the network in general.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users