7 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

This Pope is definitely different...  

http://www.rawstory....licy-statement/

The pope lamented that people had “calmly accepted (the) dominion” of money over themselves and society, which he said was expressed in the recent financial crisis and the continuing promotion of consumer-based economies.

“We have created new idols,” the pope wrote. “The worship of the ancient golden calf has returned in a new and ruthless guise in the idolatry of money and the dictatorship of an impersonal economy lacking a truly human purpose. The worldwide crisis affecting finance and the economy lays bare their imbalances and, above all, their lack of real concern for human beings; man is reduced to one of his needs alone: consumption.”

The pope decried the growing gap between rich and poor as a social and political problem.

“This imbalance is the result of ideologies which defend the absolute autonomy of the marketplace and financial speculation,” Pope Francis wrote. “Consequently, they reject the right of states, charged with vigilance for the common good, to exercise any form of control. A new tyranny is thus born, invisible and often virtual, which unilaterally and relentlessly imposes its own laws and rules.”

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

He's a different kind of Pope...but same 'ol same as far as poorly educated liberal windbags go.

“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world,” Pope Francis wrote. “This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system.”
Yeah...much better to put our trust in the absolute power of the STATE right genius? Because that's not run by fallible human beings at all I suppose...

Yawn...
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Poorly educated?  That's the last thing I would accuse a JESUIT of...

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

and yet...
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I think the Pope is addressing a fundamental Christian/Catholic POV, not particularity a political POV, although the POV definitely does resonate politically.  Still, he has captured what is wrong  with the world from a Christian POV very well.  Service/aide to the poor, the sick, etc. are all fundamental Christian/Biblical POV's.  Something apparently this Pope wants to emphasize.  I like the inclusiveness of his words, not just here, but ever since be became Pope.  I'm very encouraged that the Church is going back to being a comfort to parishioners instead of being quite so political.  I suppose it has been a long time coming, after all, they did rule the Christian world for a couple of centuries.

Source:

#6 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Interesting blog on this topic.  He really did provide some interesting charts.

http://www.washingto...hese-13-charts/

Unfortunately, this 84-page apostolic exhortation is woefully lacking in illustrative charts. But Wonkblog is here to help! Here are the pope's comments on economic topics, annotated and charted.

Source:

#7 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

DISPOSABLE

EXCLUSION

these are the two words I see glaringly, here, in his thing

I love the way he's saying this; way to much of this in today's world, this using and then disposing, using people, then disposing

and this economy of exclusion

HELL someone had to say something about this sometime- and glad he is doing, today

http://www.npr.org/b...rginalizes-many

so before I put on the thing about middle east without Christians, I wanted to get this in here! and not just because I feel disposed, and excluded; because so many, so so many, are disposed , and excluded, in our capitalist (and hey I'm not just strictly anti-capitalist) world; it's more in the Way you do Capitalism. Hey let's be HUMANITARIAN in our freaking Capitalism why don't we??
;)
I do think, and I notice this with bosses and with employees, that CAPITALISM causes some, or promotes for some, Mercenary behavior- I know that is often driven by survival, but hey let's make sure we are helpful along with mercenary, not just mercenary; survival makes for the need for mercenary SOMETIMES, but hey not All the Time eh?!

yes, Capitalism drives Mercenary behavior, and not just for survival; it just does, it causes, it drives, what more words, it pushes, it promotes, what more words, gotta be more in there.

I join the Papa in desiring more of what I might say or call it, 'hey I got mine and I'd like for others to get, to join in this too!' ; rather than, 'hey I got mine and I'll just shut up and not jinx, and so I don't care about you, yer on yer own and I'm just happy and glad I got mine!'
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#8 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,032 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

"Economy of exclusion" is a great phrase. Go back to Adam Smith and you'll find his whole thing was to get as many people able to participate effectively in the market as possible; an economy of exclusion is, in fact, the opposite of capitalism. Adam Smith loved the idea of public education!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pope Francis, Catholicism, Capitalism, Poverty, 2013

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users