51 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Spoilers

Coulson takes the war back to Centipede.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'm still processing this one and will have to find it on Hulu or somewhere to rewatch

Just....WOW, didn't see that ending coming.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

This was OK.

May's treatment of Skye seemed rather cowardly and simplistic; of course, she's still uncertain about her whole thing with Ward.

I liked Simmon's (the girl) gushing over the new guy; while Fitz looks on disgusted/jealous.

The developments that Centipede were making with the untraceable transmission from the eye-cam seemed like a load of hooey, as was Centipede's approach to the new guy not being monitored and recorded by SHIELD.  I mean if the NSA can track all cell-phone conversations, why can't SHIELD?

And the whole bit with Ace, I saw that coming the moment the guy said: "There is nothing I wouldn't do for my son."

That they knew about Coulson ... either there is a Clairvoyant running Centipede; or SHIELD has been compromised.  At this stage I am doubtful whether the show would dare show that Centipede happens to be an authorized SHIELD project.  And then, of course, the whole SHIELD is one big happy family ... I really hope they get off that bus soon.

As mid-season cliff-hangers go, however, it wasn't that bad.  It's just that with this series, I have zero interest in rewatching episodes.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

This was a pretty strong episode, with a lot happening. J. August Richards was amazingly good here. He got to show a lot more range and depth than he did as the angry, unstable Mike in the pilot. And though I could see his fate coming a mile away, the manner in which it happened was still quite startling.

One thing that threw me, since it involved my home state, was the "University of Ohio" in Cleveland. There's an Ohio University, but it's much further south in Athens, OH (and Ohio State U. is in Columbus). Cleveland is home to Case Western Reserve University as well as Cleveland State University. I don't know why they felt they needed to make up an imaginary university, since it was such a minor part of the story and they didn't paint it in a negative light.

They used a fictional lottery name too, but that's more understandable, since the Ohio Lottery's logo would be trademarked.

As for Centipede knowing about Coulson, they didn't need a clairvoyant; they had him on camera, both from the Hong Kong facility's security feed and from the soldier's eye cam. So they would've been able to determine that this is a man who's been declared dead and is somehow alive.

Edited by Christopher, 11 December 2013 - 10:23 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Having someone on camera, and then knowing who that person is, and also knowing that he had been killed (which apparently was only cleared for Level 7) is a bit more detailed than one would expect.

Admittedly, the released Colonel(?) might've recognized Coulson, but how would he have known that he had been dead?

I do not believe that either SHIELD nor the Avengers actually did any interviews, which would eliminate the press broadcasting what had inspired them, so that leaves out the public record.  And considering that SHIELD was planning on returning Coulson to the field, chances are that they would've had some cover story about him being "mostly dead"/"clinically dead" and was being brought back by heroic measures just to avoid explaining why this dead man was still walking.

Which again leaves us with either SHIELD being really lousy with information security, or someone on the inside is informing on them, or there is a genuine Clairvoyant that SHIELD in all of its arrogance managed to miss.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostG-man, on 11 December 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Having someone on camera, and then knowing who that person is, and also knowing that he had been killed (which apparently was only cleared for Level 7) is a bit more detailed than one would expect.

Actually Ward said in the pilot that he had Level 6 clearance and was aware that Coulson had died in the Battle of New York; then Coulson emerged and said "Welcome to Level 7." So news of his survival is Level 7 classified, which is why the Avengers don't know. (Although it's odd, then, that he's constantly introducing himself to ordinary people as Agent Coulson.)

And despite what Ward implied about needing Level 6 clearance, we learned here that Coulson's cellist ex was notified of his (apparent) death, so clearly the news isn't limited exclusively to Level 6 and above. Perhaps it's the circumstances of his death that are Level 6.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

We have no way of knowing whether or not Captain America knows if Coulson is alive and we won't know that til his movie comes out, Thor is of course out of town, Banner really never knew him and Tony had his own problems.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Christopher, universities are also corporations and have copyright protections, etc.  If a show wants to set scenes on a campus that is supposed to represent a real university, they have to ask and pay for permission. (This is different from saying, "He got his degree from M.I.T.")  So most shows make up fictional universities. All the Law and Order shows refer to what is clearly Columbia as "Hudson University."

I have a feeling the Clairvoyant has some connection to Coulson's resurrection.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 December 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

(Although it's odd, then, that he's constantly introducing himself to ordinary people as Agent Coulson.)

Yup. This has bugged me ever since the beginning of the show. People talk, and you never know who's connected to who. So if it's such a huge secret that agents have to be Level 7 to know that Coulson is alive, why are we letting everyone else know?

Ron Glass' doctor character didn't even know it was a secret. He had no idea Coulson wasn't supposed to ever know until Hill told him. A secret doesn't stay a secret very long if you don't tell people it's supposed to be a freaking secret.

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostAvalon, on 11 December 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Ron Glass' doctor character didn't even know it was a secret. He had no idea Coulson wasn't supposed to ever know until Hill told him. A secret doesn't stay a secret very long if you don't tell people it's supposed to be a freaking secret.

I didn't take the scene that way. Glass's character didn't seem to be ignorant of the situation, just a bit disbelieving. "He really doesn't know, does he?" That's the sort of thing you say when you were already aware of the situation, were unsure if it was really true, and have now gotten confirmation.

Also, we're talking about two different secrets. The secret that Coulson survived is Level-7 classified, while the secret of how he survived is classified Level 8 or 9 or something, which is why Coulson and his team haven't been told the real story.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 December 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostAvalon, on 11 December 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Also, we're talking about two different secrets. The secret that Coulson survived is Level-7 classified, while the secret of how he survived is classified Level 8 or 9 or something, which is why Coulson and his team haven't been told the real story.

Yeah, I know we are. I just re-read my post and realized I wasn't clear about that, though, so I apologize.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

This was another great episode, and what a cliffhanger.  The only problem I had with it is that SHIELD really should have foreseen that Centipede would use Mike's kid against them and assigned some protection.  I really hope that Mike isn't dead.  He deserves to be a recurring character.

The character interactions really make this show.  I loved the conversation between Ward and Coulson as they were driving.  Also, Simmons' manual measurements of Mike's symmetry.  I was reminded of Skye checking out Ward with the x-ray spex.  Imagine the reaction in the current political climate if the genders were reversed.  :lol:

And, boy, Raina and Edison Po are delightfully creepy.  :cool:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm with RJD. I think this was a good cliffhanger for the midseason. I just want to get some kind of payoff for this regarding Coulson's resurrection. Maybe not all the answers but I think we should be getting SOME of the answers at this point.

enTranced
Posted Image

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

You know, I'm pretty much on the cavalry express when it comes to this show. Ming Na Wen is and always shall be awesome, but goddamit May, just because your casual fling burned you is no reason to snap at Skye, especially in the hypocritical 'leave your emotions at the door' kind of way she did not five seconds after letting those emotions get the better of you.

I expect better of you Agent May.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

I thought this was predictably bad. This is their idea of a mid-season finale? Good grief. It did so little to advance the plot (what plot?) that it felt like a big exercise in wasting time (just like every episode). I didn't have high expectations but this didn't even meet my already rather low bar.

It's impossible not to continue comparing this show to Arrow and how much better Arrow is at pretty much everything. This is especially true after the incredible 2 part season finale. Higher stakes, more developed and consistently written characters, better writing, and some of the best action scenes/stunts on TV. Agents of SHIELD can and should be better than this. The writing just isn't there. The actors (and viewers) deserve so much better than this. Marvel should be above this.

Edited by NeuralClone, 14 December 2013 - 01:03 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm beginning to think one problem is Whedon's using his enormous clout to get his brother and sister-in-law a show-running gig when they are obviously not ready.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostCardie, on 14 December 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

I'm beginning to think one problem is Whedon's using his enormous clout to get his brother and sister-in-law a show-running gig when they are obviously not ready.
They're certainly good writers. Or they have been in the past. But running a show and being able to write episodes of a show are very different skill sets.

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

People keep forgetting that Jeffrey Bell of Angel and Alias is a showrunner here too. He's got plenty of experience. Jeph Loeb is also onboard as an executive producer, though it's unclear how much he contributes to the writing.

Facebook Author Page

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Then the only other explanation I can think of is that there's been a lot of network interference and mandates from Marvel regarding what they can and can't cover on the show. If that isn't the case, then I'm at a loss as why these particular writers and producers think that what they're doing is working. Their previous credits certainly back them up as at least being fairly competent. Neither Alias nor Angel played it safe on a level like this show does. The plot on Alias moved at lightning speed and Angel generally kept things moving fairly well too (albeit far less so than Alias).

The show is obviously working for some people (as evidenced by these review threads) but everyone I personally know that loves the Marvel movies and comic books (yeah, yeah, anecdotal evidence that doesn't really mean much for the bigger picture) in general find this show to be more miss than hit. The ratings are another indicator that people have lost interest. And that's a huge shame. The premise has enormous potential, the pieces are all in place to realize that potential, and the show has a crazy budget.

Edited by NeuralClone, 14 December 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#20 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 14 December 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

They're certainly good writers. Or they have been in the past. But running a show and being able to write episodes of a show are very different skill sets.

Like Sera Gamble of season 7 of SUPERNATURAL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users