• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rodglas

rodglas

Beneath the Surface; Lies the Future

• Islander
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:16 AM

Seeing as this is the replacement for the old AU forum, and given that if or when we get a new title for this board we're it will have a cultural aspect to it as well as science, we need a non-science related debate.

So how do you think the New Commonwealth is working out so far?

Is it corrupt or not?

Do you think Dylan's expectations were to high?

How do you think the relationship between the S-J will working out with the rest of the Commonwealth members, particularly some of the first members (ie Sinti and Castalia)?

Rod.

"Requested items: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of fullerene cable, one low yield nuclear warhead. Stated purpose: birthday party for foreign dignitary." --Argosy Special Operations Service requisition form, CY 9512

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 01:11 PM

Well, first of all, I don't think there's enough story coherence left to give us any material for answering this question.  There isn't a credible universe anymore, one that we can believe has a larger existence than what we see onscreen and can therefore try to analyze; it's just a bunch of stuff made up as they go along.

That said, however, it isn't plausible that the fledgling New Commonwealth would instantly be as stable and noble and perfect as the original.  This is a new, weak entity struggling to establish and define itself -- the early stages of the process are bound to be messy.  There are factions jockeying for position and power... and we can't exclude Dylan as one of them.  He's gone from a free agent to a follower of a command structure, and since he isn't making the decisions he naturally won't agree with every one of them.  Meanwhile there's the need of the new government to survive in a messy and violent universe and avoid being overthrown by its own new subjects, a situation imposing certain realpolitik needs that make it hard to be pure and perfectly ethical.

I'm sure the fledgling US government was similarly messy.  I've been learning a bit more about the Revolutionary era lately, and I gather that the Continental Congress was quite a hotbed of political maneuvering, one-upmanship and backstabbing.  There were politicians and generals who waged a campaign to discredit George Washington and remove him from command of the Continental Army.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 02:02 PM

I haven't watched season 3 and don't remember much of the last half of season 2, but it seems like EVERY time I hear anything about the Commonwealth, it's as an obstacle to the noble goals Dylan had in mind, not an organization in which corruption exists, but a completely corrupt organization without redeeming qualities. I don't find this believable; I think governments without some sense of nobility and interest in peace and prosperity would have little reason to join the Commonwealth, especially since the Magog seem to have disappeared (?), and it sounds like a part of Tribune's mission to invent new enemies everywhere so everyone's an enemy. But if people who cared about good TV were still involved in the show, the infighting could be turned into a good arc theme about how these people who don't trust each other have to come together because of problems bigger than their own conflicts.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users