Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Winter Weather 2013/14 - stay warm and safe everyone!

weather winter snow check-in check in

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Elara, on 23 December 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

We got about 6 inches of snow last night/this morning, but the bad stuff is here now, and it's not more snow. It's down to about 3 degrees with 20mph winds, and the expected lows by 6am Monday, will be around -17 degrees. I have a feeling morning chores are going to be a bit chilly. :lol:

Rhys, on 23 December 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Got caught in the Toronto blackout... Took the wife & kids to a hotel last night... hope we have power back today!

Yikes everyone!  :eek:

:hugs: ((((((((((Everyone)))))))))) :hugs:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 23 December 2013 - 10:36 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#22 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,345 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

we have gales and torrential rain, but it's not storm force yet! stay safe all of you :)

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#23 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,996 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yes, stay safe, everyone.

Sorry to hear about the blackout, Rhys.  That happened to me last February.  :no:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,996 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Our blizzard started overnight and is in full swing, with another 24 hours to go.  The good news is that, unlike SFG, we'll get some warmth and sunshine on Saturday.  It's about 15 degrees out there now, but not bad inside despite the high winds.  I think the snow is actually insulating the house.  As long as the power doesn't go out again, I'm fine.  I hope everybody else is.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hope you don't lose power, RJ. That's the worst.

We might get some snow on Saturday, but it's the temps that are getting us. A lot of below 0 and single digit days so far this winter, and tonight they expect it to get down to -17F (possibly setting records). Then a rise in temps, followed by a drop with highs of -10F. The only thing keeping me going is the look ahead, they predict highs to make it into the upper 20's to mid 30's. That will be so great! :D
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#26 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Suprisingly we weren't near records, but we were having the coldest temps/wind chills in 25 years+.

Survived.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#27 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Spectacular photographs show the moment Niagara Falls FROZE in polar vortex

http://www.dailymail...rist-mecca.html

The record-breaking chill across the U.S. and Canada was so frigid it literally stopped Niagara Falls in its tracks.
A collection of spectacular photographs have shown the moment the U.S. side of the famous falls froze before they could reach the bottom.

:freakoutnonny:  Spectacular photos!  

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#28 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

That's awesome Nonny. :D

I was actually thinking back on Monday about when the Mississippi River had frozen solid that people could walk from Saint Louis to East Saint Louis on it.  This was back in the late 1890s or early 1900s.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#29 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

So it's been one storm after another this winter, (unless you're in the California drought).  :oh:

Last week there was the storm that crippled Atlanta, and then last weekend another one slammed NYC, NJ, and Philly etc with, what was it?  10 inches?

Both of those storms managed to miss my region, but I wasn't so lucky with yesterday's storm.  This one traversed quite a large swath of the country.

We knew it would come through here Tuesday night through Wednesday, so on Tuesday we did some last minute errands before the storm.  Bank, post office, gas in the car (and snow blower).  Luckily we didn't need to go the grocery store.  The day before a storm, everyone seems to mob the grocery store, and buy out all the perishables.  It's like they won't be able to shop again for weeks!  When at most, people are stuck at home for a day, maybe two.  Happens every time.  :shrug:

So yesterday morning there was already 4 inches on the ground at dawn, and it was just getting started.  Sometime mid morning I stepped out my front door, and the street looked a slightly dingy white color.  Then a car went by (a Subaru, of course ;) ), and I saw it, but the sound it made, I've never heard a car make so little sound!  It just whispered by, like it was driving on a pillow!  :lol:

At 5pm, I measured 9.25 inches of snow in my driveway, but I think we got closer to a foot by the time it finished.

One thing the weather man pointed out:  the storms we got earlier this winter were during extreme cold, and so light fluffy snow.  This time it was in the 20s F, so the snow is much heavier and denser this time.  So 10 inches of heavy snow is actually a lot more snow, than 10 inches of fluffy snow.

And there's potential for another one this weekend!  :eek:  But they're not sure whether it will turn into something yet, so maybe it won't!

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 February 2014 - 09:39 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#30 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

Cold this morning, freezing with 'wintry mix' which was sleet and some snow but it's not sticking.

I'm soooo ready for spring!  

But it's only early February and we usually get either wet or really cold weather or both later in the month around the time of the trail rides for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo which is March 4-23 so they should be starting the trail rides in the next week or so.  So it's likely to turn messy again.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#31 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Sci-Fi Girl, on 06 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

So it's been one storm after another this winter, (unless you're in the California drought).
We've spent the last week looking at the cloudy sky, hoping for rain.

but the sound it made, I've never heard a car make so little sound!  It just whispered by, like it was driving on a pillow!  :lol:

I remember that sound, from when I was a kid.    :happy:

What we got instead of rain at sunrise yesterday.

Sunrise 2-7-2014 9%.jpg Sunrise 2 2-7-2014 9%.jpg
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#32 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Weather here is back on the whiplash cycle as temps are back up to about 76 F the next few days but due to be back to freezing in a few days.

thought y'all would enjoy this as one school makes a bad weather closure announcement in North Carolina--

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#33 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

photos of east coast,

http://news.yahoo.co...east-slideshow/

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#34 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Still waiting for rain, desperately.
Posted Image

#35 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

I cannot believe it's 8 degrees in March in Western PA.

What a brutal winter. When Spring does come, we'll all be especially ecstatic this year. I personally don't mind the cold, but I worry about the outdoor critters who have to live through it.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#36 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

We could still use some of that precipitation.  We've had rain, but not enough.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weather, winter, snow, check-in, check in

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users