• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

http://thinkprogress...ples-marrying/#

The Cache County, Utah Clerk’s office is closed on Monday, meaning that no one who visits that office may obtain a marriage license — whether they are gay or straight. Though the county has not explicitly stated that it closed the office in an act of massive resistance to arecent federal court decision calling for marriage equality in Utah, the county attorney’s office released a statement linking the closure to that decision: “Given the status of the pending motion for a stay and the appeal that will be filed by the state of Utah, the Clerk’s Office will be closed until further notice.”

Both the county attorney’s office and the county executive’s office declined to provide further comment to ThinkProgress on why the county clerk’s office is not open. Nor did they answer the question “do you think the judge’s opinion” holding that the Constitution requires marriage equality “was unclear?” Instead, they repeatedly referred me to the press statement indicating that the clerk’s office will remain closed indefinitely “to sort out the legal issues and confusion created in the wake of Judge Shelby’s opinion.”

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

if they dont provide the services they are warranted to provide; the county executive can open it or fire the county attorney, unless unwilling, then the citizens can get the state senate or the governator involved, fire some folks and do interrim appointments to fill positions. Service must be provide to the public which mandate the services to be provided; sheesh. hell do we just close the whole dang county?! then the public can just fire the whole county, and get the governator to assist in putting new elections for every county office.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

POPULAR

This whole issue just doesn't make sense to me at all. It really doesn't. Same sex marriages aren't for me, they are not my cup of tea. But if two people want to marry, as long as they are consenting adults, I really don't give a damn. It doesn't affect me in the least bit.

I can understand the arguments against Abortion...those against it are arguing for the life of the fetus....even though it really is none of their business what a woman does with her body. But at least they have a valid argument. With Same sex marriages...the ONLY people affected are the two getting married, and perhaps their immediate families. What business is it of anyone else?

This whole world would be a lot better off if people just minded their own damn business, and didn't intrude on other people's business.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

^^^

Good lord LotS, we agree!   :shocked:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Utah, Marriage equality, massive resistance, 2013

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users