• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

It was satisfying in the sense that it was unexpected - for me at least.  I figured it would be something more identifiably Marvel.  Instead, it teases a new question - just how technologically advanced are they?  They can reanimate a 4-day corpse?  Repair or replace a "shredded" heart without aftercare consequences?  What are the implications of that level of medical technology - and the fact that they keep it secret?  Does that inform the larger thematic question of SHIELD's trustworthiness?  

There are other questions, though - why did this necessitate Coulson being declared officially dead?  Giving up the chance at a normal life?  They couldn't say, "Oops!  In the chaos of the battle, we thought he was dead but it's OK now...?"  As you say, they used it as a character beat - it was an attempt to spare him the memory of what was apparently a torturous process.  But Coulson is pretty tough.  Seems like he could have handled the knowledge even if the memory was wiped.  

Also, he was awake and lucid by the time Ron Glass saw him - how did they get to that point?  

This is why I'm waiting for the other shoe.  

I suspect there will be another Sam Jackson appearance before the season is said and done.  (Or Coulson has a secret cameo in Cap 2, but the former seems more likely.)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#22 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Well, they've been saying there's some tie-in between Agents of SHIELD and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, right? I wonder if the process used to bring Coulson back has anything to do with how you-know-who becomes the Winter Soldier...? (Not so much the strength and speed part -- that would be the super-soldier formula -- but the not-dead part, of course.) Also, considering the apparent plot thread of corruption in the ranks, maybe G-Man is right about Fury making sure he has his one good eye back before the dren hits the fan.

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

If they have medical technology this advanced, Fury could have his REAL good eye back.

#24 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,696 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, but Col. Fury KNOWS he is nowhere near as decent a person as Coulson is.

Personally, I think Col. Fury is content with having lost his eye, as it serves as a visual reminder of the cost he's born to come this far.  Which would be suggestive that the loss of his eye might have been the result of a betrayal by a trusted superior, and help rationalize why he is something of a loose cannon.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 09 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#25 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,696 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, it could be that the notification of Coulson's death went out over Fury's objections, especially if it was during one of those procedures.  So knowing that SHIELD effectively screwed up Coulson's homelife, Fury probably felt that the least they could do for his friend whom he was desperately trying to restore, is remove the trauma of the operations and replace it with something pleasing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#26 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Clark Gregg tweeted the following: "How do you recode a man's brain to make it stay alive?  Seems almost inhuman."

Was that coincidence?  Or a huge hint?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumans

#27 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Would Marvel Studios have the rights to the Inhumans? I'd think they'd be part of the Fantastic Four license, which is with Fox.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#28 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

They do, and they're developing an Inhumans franchise.  Supposed to be their answer to NOT having the X-Men license.

http://www.blastr.co...-inhumans-movie

(I was surprised to learn that at first too - maybe the Inhumans are on the share list?  I have to think that if Fox wanted to use Black Bolt, they could.)

#29 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,520 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Many, many Marvel characters debuted in Fantastic Four.  I doubt if many (if any) are part of the Fox contract. I love the Inhumans. I will be psyched if they appear on SHIELD.

View PostAvalon, on 08 January 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

That's what she does. Don't you remember what she did to "Scorch"? He just thought she was hitting on him -- until the people came in to kidnap him. She flatters people and makes them think they have the upper hand with her. They think she's just a pretty woman in a flowered dress.  
Yeah, that's certainly true.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#30 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

I think Fox can use all the characters who debuted in FF though some characters are on the share list.  Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can be used by both Fox and Marvel.  Black Bolt (the main Inhuman character) debuted in FF.  So did Black Panther - Fox could probably use both in an FF movie but that's not stopping Marvel from developing Inhumans and Black Panther features for Phase III or IV.

#31 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 09 January 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Clark Gregg tweeted the following: "How do you recode a man's brain to make it stay alive?  Seems almost inhuman."

Was that coincidence?  Or a huge hint?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumans

Interesting! I think it's a huge hint that might make sense of one of next week's guest characters. That Wikipedia article you've linked says, under the events of "Infinity":
Spoiler

Who's the guest character next week?
Spoiler
The choice seemed really, really weak and random until now. It makes sense if they're setting up a storyline that uses the Inhumans in place of mutants, though.

Now...how that relates to Coulson's resurrection, I'm not sure. Will they say the technology they used came from the Inhumans? I would have thought it was based on the Hydra technology they took.

#32 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostG-man, on 09 January 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yeah, but Col. Fury KNOWS he is nowhere near as decent a person as Coulson is.

Personally, I think Col. Fury is content with having lost his eye, as it serves as a visual reminder of the cost he's born to come this far.  Which would be suggestive that the loss of his eye might have been the result of a betrayal by a trusted superior, and help rationalize why he is something of a loose cannon.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Has anyone wondered if Fury's past has included ... a run in with the Centipede eye-drives? :oh:

Now there's some food for thought.  :eek:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#33 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Wish I could stay, but I can't.  But I couldn't resist dropping in to give my theory here... (also... Hi everyone!)

First - Coulson was DEAD.  And, that "death" was part of what made the Avengers the Avengers.  Coulson can't come back to life (or at least, couldn't - not sure what happened in the movies, as I haven't seen them), because that might demotivate the Avengers team.

Second - I LIKE the idea that Fury might have been an early Clairvoyant victim - why the Clairvoyant knows so much about Shield.  The Clairvoyant apparently can "read" minds - which is all well and good, but I'd bet s/he has to have some access to those s/he is reading.

Third - We are told that the Clairvoyant can't read Coulson.  That seems REALLY significant - and thoroughly justifies Coulson's "specialness" - especially if Nick Fury knows/knew about the Clairvoyant, even maybe before the rest of SHIELD found out.

to wit What if Coulson's brain surgery altered his brain so that it couldn't be read by the Clairvoyant? That would be a pretty huge tactical advantage for the special Coulson team and would explain MUCH more clearly, why the Clairvoyant wants to know how it was done (really? Bring supersoldiers back to life?  That seems lame motivation.  Defeating a tactical advantage that could be spread?  THAT'S motivation).

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#34 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Oh, QT, why did you leave us?  Come back, come back. :( Like your theory.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#35 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Yes - excellent theory

#36 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,520 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Indeed, that makes a lot of sense.

View PostBklnScott, on 09 January 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

I think Fox can use all the characters who debuted in FF though some characters are on the share list.  
That's a pretty generous contract for Fox, given how many characters Stan and Jack debuted in the FF in the 60s.  Good thing they are shareable.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#37 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, between FF and X-Men, Fox has a pretty big bite of the Marvel Universe and they are pretty far along in planning to build a shared universe out of the two.  (It's a foregone conclusion that the forthcoming FF reboot will take place in the same universe as the X-pics.). They had Daredevil, too, but he reverted to Marvel/Disney.

#38 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Of course, Fox had a big headstart on Marvel Studios with the X-Men films, which are now up to six released films, one upcoming film, and an eighth in the works. And despite being of variable quality, they form a surprisingly consistent continuity. Adding the Fantastic Four to that existing universe should expand things substantially.

Meanwhile, poor Sony is struggling to concoct a multi-film Marvel franchise of their own using only characters associated with the Spider-Man license. They're developing Venom and Sinister Six films (presumably without Spidey), and if their effort gains any traction we'll likely see a Black Cat film somewhere down the line, but beyond that it's hard to see where they could go. Silver Sable? White Tiger? Prowler? Rocket Racer?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#39 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I agree that Sony's got its work cut out for it of they want to compete with Disney, Fox and WB, but they do seem to have the right idea.  Another possibility for spin-off is Jessica Drew.

#40 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't know... is it really "the right idea" to create an expanded universe only to copy or compete with Marvel Studios and Fox? Granted, one of the strengths of the Marvel universe is its interconnectedness, and I'm glad to see live-action adaptations finally figuring out how to capture that, but it shouldn't be done just because "Hey, that studio's doing this and profiting so we should copy them." Imitators rarely do as well as the things they're imitating. And Sony doesn't really have a lot to build on license-wise, so it feels kind of desperate in their case.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users