Dragon Age: Origins Playthrough

Dragon Age

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

So some of my friends and I decided to play DA:Origins at the same time just for fun and see each game progresses since we're all playing as different races, genders, and classes. Mikoto suggested that maybe we start a thread here and do a playthrough together as well. Any other gamers are welcome. The only thing I ask is to try and avoid huge spoilers for events that happen later in the game. This is my first time playing and I don't want too much spoiled.

So I am a human female warrior of the Cousland clan. I've progressed a decent amount in the game. I just fought the battle at Ostagar and am about to set off to build an army.

I'm liking the game so far. I wish combat was a little different (more like what you would find in Fable or Kingdoms of Amalur) but I'm guessing once I level up more and get better weapons and skills I will feel like more of a badass. There's also a lot to take in all at once, especially for someone like me who doesn't usually play RPGs quite like this one. It's been a while since I've had to manage a group of characters and set them different tasks.

I figured once Morrigan showed up she would join my party, and I'm glad she has. I have a feeling I'm going to like her quite a bit. I like that there's a little tension between her and Alistair since he used to be a Templar and hunted down rogue mages. Wonder if that will cause me problems later on?

I'll have more thoughts later I'm sure. Right now though it's late and I think I'm going to go to bed.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Speaking of handling spoilers, has your group discussed play-order at all?  I seem to remember my brother and I had slightly different experiences because we chose to do various quests in different orders.  It may make the judgement of what counts as a spoiler a little tricky.

If I can find my game disk, I may join in.  I've never unpacked my older games from a move a few years ago, so I'm not sure what box it's in.  :p

Edited by Niko, 13 January 2014 - 10:13 AM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yes that's a good point. It can make spoilers a little tricky but the information is well worth having.

For example, I personally would recommend doing the Mage's tower first. To avoid spoilers on what effects it has on certain areas of the story in other places I can't stay much more than that. What I can say though is you gain a healer party member from it which I've always found invaluable unless I'm a mage myself.

Also, a quick heads up about Lothering. You'll want to explore it thouroughly as you can pick up two new party members there which can be easily missed if you blaze through it quickly.
Rejected and gone.

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

I'm fine with people mentioning quests that others might not have done yet. That's what makes talking about our different game experiences fun. I just meant spoilers about stuff that's towards the end of the game. I understand that we will all be doing this at different rates and some will pull ahead of others. That's fine. And helpful hints about maybe do this quest first and make sure to find these characters are good and not too spoiler-y.

I basically just want this to be a fun experience for everyone. While I didn't get to play the game today (darn school taking up my free time) I'm hoping to tomorrow.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

So I went throught Lothering, then went to Redcliffe, and am now about to enter the Mage's Tower. Lothering went pretty easily. I picked up both Sten and Leilanna.

I headed to Redcliffe next because it seemed like the next logical step. I made sure that the militia had all the help they needed, but I lost Murdock and the knight (can't remember the guy's name). Not sure if they die no matter what, or if there was something I could have done. I then went to the castle and discovered that it was the son who was doing all the bad things. I let the blood mage free and he told me about the spell that could save the boy from the demon, but it would cost the mother's life and require Morrigan to do it. So I instead went to the Mage's Tower to get help, and of course crazy stuff is going on there.

I'm liking this game a lot. It took me a while to get used to the tactics and stuff (I had Morrigan set up as a healer for a while even though she didn't have any healing spells) but I'm getting the hang out of it now. I like the cast of characters and have gotten most of them to like me, though I lost a lot of points with Morrigan when I kept agreeing to help people in Redcliffe. I think it's funny that Sten can't reconcile the fact that I'm a female and also a warrior. I'll have to work on that. I'm curious to see who else will join my group next. I usually keep Morrigan and Alistair in my group because it's fun to hear them bicker at each other.

I was playing on normal, but after dying repeatedly doing the Chanter board quests in Redcliffe I switched to casual. Might make me a bad gamer, but it was getting frustrating dying time after time.

I really hope there's a way to expand the number of items you can carry, because I keep filling up my inventory way too fast. There's just so many goodies out there. I was wishing for a house like in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning where I could store stuff.

I was disappointed that my character doesn't speak, really. I thought she would since I got to pick out a voice. But alas, no. Too much to hope for I guess.

I do like how what I do in Redcliffe has affected what I'm doing now in the Mage's Tower. The plots bleed together. I'm guessing if I had done the Mage's Tower first then I would all ready have access to the stuff I need for the boy, but this gives it a sense of urgency so it's fun.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

There are merchants that sell you more inventory space as backpacks. They usually cost 7 sovereigns. There was one that was in Ostagar. I think there is another merchant in the Circle Tower. I'm less sure but I think there is another in the Wonders of Thedas shop in Denerim. I know there are others I just don't remember them right now.

Also, if you buy the DLC pack "Soldier's Peak" it gives you access to a new quest, extra abilities and it does unlock a storage chest you can safely keep extra items in. It also opens up another weapons merchant.

Yes, the fact that if you want to do the good option regarding Isolde and Connor is why I recommended that you go to the mage tower first. Also in the tower you get Wynne and she's spec'd as a healer. That being said as you level up you can train Morrigan to act as a healer somewhat. Personally I don't like Morrigan so I always favour Wynne when I'm not a mage myself. Speaking of the mage tower, it you do get stuck with the Fade section, let me know and I can tell you the quickest way to do it.

My Dalish rogue has advanced quite a bit further into the game but I have a lot of time on my hands right now. ;) By the way several of your party members are romancable if you continue to choose the right dialogue options. Since your character is female, you can choose from Alistair, Zevran and Leliana. Because none of them really appeal to my type of character in a romantic way, my female Wardens opt for a casual fling with Zevran.

Oh and Chatty has started a male human mage Warden too recently, I'll direct her here so we can all share our experiences.
Rejected and gone.

#7 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Ah yes. Taeon Amell. He's doing Lothering right now. I've played enough to know what I need to do.

Virgil-the quartermaster in Ostagar has two backpacks. One before you go into the Wilds and another after you return. His inventory resets then. You can visit him anytime before you go to the meeting with Duncan and the King.

Then you can get two more from Bodahn after he joins your camp. His inventory will reset once I think. And there will be one at the Circle tower and the Dalish camp. If you miss one, I think the game is set up where other merchants might have it for you, but if you do it the way I said it, you'll get all the backpacks. All of them give you ten extra slots each, except for the Dalish one, it gives you five. In other words, hit the merchants up and look for backpacks at the bottom of their item list. You should find them somewhere.

I'll try to keep this thread in mind as I play along.

#8 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

He's just reached lvl 7 and his first Specialization. I choose Spirit Healer and Group Heal. The fight with the bandit group and two Mabari was quite the chore to keep Sten and Leliana from falling. Hopefully that won't happen now. He's already told me he wants his second specialization to be Arcane Warrior.

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

So I'm in the Tower and have reached the Fade part. Up until this point, I was loving the Tower quest. The developers did a great job fleshing out the Tower and the complicated relationship between the mages and Templar. I like that there are different groups within the mages that are opposing one another. I wish that we had come here when there was no trouble and had been allowed to maybe side with one of the factions.

The Fade part is pretty annoying, though. I'm barely into and I all ready hate it. I haven't played the game in over a day because I just don't want to have to deal with that section. I'm just going to have to suck it up though. I might take you up on your offer Mikoto about getting help.

Also in the tower you get Wynne and she's spec'd as a healer. That being said as you level up you can train Morrigan to act as a healer somewhat. Personally I don't like Morrigan so I always favour Wynne when I'm not a mage myself.

I like Morrigan, but I think she's more trouble than she's worth. I lose points with her any time I want to help somebody, and she caused me to get into a fight with Wynne and the other mages. I loaded a previous save because I didn't want to fight them. So maybe I'll keep Wynne around.

By the way several of your party members are romancable if you continue to choose the right dialogue options. Since your character is female, you can choose from Alistair, Zevran and Leliana. Because none of them really appeal to my type of character in a romantic way, my female Wardens opt for a casual fling with Zevran.

I like Alistair and the fact that he's a smart-ass. I might romance him. Haven't met Zevran yet so who knows. Doubt I'll romance Leilana. I like her but she's not a fit for my character.

Oh, thanks to both of you for help with where the backpacks are. I missed the one is Ostagar but hopefully I can get the one in the Tower. I really need more inventory space.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I understand how you feel about the Fade section, its unquestionably the worst part of the entire game. If you're on the PC, I know there is a Mod out there that'll let you skip the entire section and still get all the exp and stuff from it. ;)

When you use a Fade Pedestial it shows you the different islands and they're arranged in a rough circular/star pattern. You have to progress through all but one to gain the different shapeshifting forms, the mouse, burning man, golem and spirit. Use the pedestial to move onto the next area once you've gotten the shapeshifting form.

There's one in the bottom left hand corner-I forget the name of it right now-but you need to skip it and carry on to the next one at first. It has no shapeshifting form and can't be solved until you have all of them.

Once you have all the forms unlocked, you'll have to watch the wide guiding arrow/symbol and use it to navigate your way to the demon mini-boss and defeat it. You clear out the demons from each area, free your companions from the outer islands then eventually you'll gain access to the centre island where the sloth demon is.
Rejected and gone.

#11 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

You're welcome Virgil. As for missing the backpacks at Ostagar (a shame cause they're the cheapest ones), you might find them at another trader. Just check any trader you come across and you might find one.

Taeon is making his way through the tower now. Since he's an Amell mage he opted to leave Morrigan behind since she's an apostate. However, with right dialogue options, if you bring her along, you can still avoid the fight with Wynne. He brought along Alistair, Ervin (Dog) and Leliana. Until they meet up with Wynne.

He's appalled at all the mayhem and dead mages and Templars. He's determined to find survivors, though.

#12 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Now he's in the Fade, going after the Spirit Form. But it's too late to keep going, so I'll crank it up in the morning.

Oh, Virgil. A good Fade Walkthrough is here:

http://www.ign.com/f...t-guide-1066315

If you get stuck. It should be especially helpful in Templar's Nightmare. If you want to find all the fonts, you'll need to find another one that will show you where they are, as many of them are in secret rooms only accessible by either the mouse, spirit or golem. Here's one that might help. I like to get these myself because they give you permanent increases to your attributes. I know other people like to get through there as quickly as possible and only grab the ones that are out in the open, it's your choice.

http://guides.gamepr...ide.asp?ID=8464

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thanks. I still haven't gone back to the game, but that has more to do with the fact that I've had a lot of homework. Still, this Fade section was a bad idea. It completely kills the momentum that the game had going for it up until that point.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

I know what you mean. I just try to get through it and back to the game.

Oh, if you're trying to save the mages, tell Cullen that you can't kill innocents, and then you won't decide until you get up there, then you've made your decision. He's going to want you to kill them all (understandably)

And use that Litany whenever Wynne warns you about it. Even if you have to swap players if it's recharging on your character. I'd put it in another characters quickbar, just in case.

Taeon is about to go into Redcliffe village when I play him again. I had a City Elf female tell me she wanted to play too, so Calleigh Tabris is in camp after finishing Lothering

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

So I finally got through the Fade section. Man, was that a boring, horrible section to get through. If it wasn't for the fact that I was doing this play through with friends in real life and you guys here I probably wouldn't have finished. At least not any time soon. I actually started up a new character in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and I'm having a blast playing that.

Anyways, I finished the Fade, told Cullen I wouldn't kill innocents, went upstairs, used the Littany, and killed Uldred and saved the First mage. Then we went and saved Connor. I had Morrigan confron the demon and beat her back. I had the blood mage that poisoned Eamon locked back up, and promised to find the Urn. That's where I stopped. I wasn't sure if I should have locked up Jowan again or not but it seemed the safer option at the time.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Jowan doesn't have much effect on the game after that. Its's up to your personal preferences what to do to him once Arl Eamon is cured.
Rejected and gone.

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Miko is right. The only thing with him is, if you turn him out of the cell when you first meet him, you can send him away by choosing the dialogue "Run, I never want to see you again." and get another Chantry board request that sends you on a trip to help him defend some people from blood mages, I think. I've always left him locked up and recommended he be sent back to the Circle when the deal with Connor is finished. I read on the DA Wiki that that particular quest is broken anyway, and I never see a reason to let him run away. After all, he did poison Eamon to begin with.

#18 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Taeon is about to encounter him, as a matter of fact, since I switched off after sending them through the windmill tunnel. Since Jowan basically lied to him about being a blood mage and used him to escape the tower to begin with, he has a particular reason to not to let him run away.

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

I played some more last night. Way more than I meant to, but it was a lot of fun. I went and visited the Dalish elves in the forest, and then found out werewolves are involved so I knew immediately that I was going to like this section because I'm a big fan of werewolves. I also bought a backpack at the Tower so that's helped out.

The Dalish are interesting. In some ways they remind me of the quarians from Mass Effect. They're a people without a homeland and carry grudges for a very long time. Seriously,  got the cold shoulder from pretty much every Dalish I met. But they were happy with me in the end because I stopped the curse.

I wanted to help Cammer(I think that was his name) get with his love interest, but couldn't work it out. After I made the forest safe he did say he would try to go hunting. Hopefully he bags an animal and comes back a man.

The werewolves were cool (and hard to beat) and I liked the backstory with them. The Lady of the Forest was also cool. I was able to convince the head Dalish (can't remember his name to save my life) to end the curse, but only after I laid the smack down on him.

The Hermit (or Mad Monk as I kept thinking of him) was different. I traded the Dalish ornament for the Acorn. I wonder if the Hermit will show up again. After I finished the main quest I went back but I couldn't engage him in conversation again.

I added Zevran to my party after he and the other Antivan Crows attacked me. He's a cool character with an interesting backstory.

So I really can't wait to confront Loghain and Howe about their treachery. They deserve a beating and more.

So Grey Wardens only live about thirty more years after they become Wardens because of the taint. Cheery. That should have been in the brochure. :)

I decided to romance Alistair. I tried to get him to come back to my tent, especially after I found out he was a virgin, but he wants to wait. I'm guessing sex is off the table until it's closer to the end of the game.

Leilana admitted her past to me. Did not see that coming. Pretty sad.

I found the fake grimoire and gave it to Morrigan, who discovered how her mother has stayed alive all these years. She sent me off to kill her. Instead I let her live and took the real grimoire. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the butt.

Not sure where I'll go next. Might be time to pay a visit to the dwarves.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

The way you handled the werewolf thing is always the way I do it. As for Cammen, I've always been able to talk them into getting together. The mad hermit...never tried talking to him again after the deal with the acorn. If the tree stump is still interactible you can try stealing something, but then he'll attack you and you have to kill him. As for Zathrian...yes, he holds a grudge for a very long time. But I can never side with either group, I try to reconcile them, generally successfully.

Alistair....yes, he'll have to be at Adore before you can convince him into your tent, or get him to Love and go to camp and he'll invite you to his tent in a most adorable manner. Keep at him.

Taeon is in camp right now after defeating the Desire Demon. So his power matched his boldness ;) He has some conversations with Wynne and the others to catch up to, then we're going after the urn. Then he has to decide if he wants to go for the Dwarves or the Dalish. Probably Dalish first, the Deep Roads, when you finally get to it, is a long trek.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragon Age

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users