• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

When I stop crying from the shock, I'll add the link, but it appears that the pro-life governor of California who compromised with reproduction rights advocates and signed the law that saved my life is ultimately responsible for me not dying of a miscarriage.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

The meaning of "pro-life" has always troubled me.  It basically says that if a woman gets pregnant, she has to carry her baby full term,  and gave birth...no choice to abort it as a result of an unwanted pregnancy.

Pro-choice for all women!

#3 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

And I lost the link.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Here it is.  At least he regretted doing it.   :p   http://www.dailykos....publican-Brains
Ten True Facts Guaranteed to Short-Circuit Republican Brains

4. Ronald Reagan once signed a bill legalizing abortion.

The Ronald Reagan Republicans worship today is more myth than reality. Reagan was a conservative for sure, but also a practical politician who understood the necessities of compromise. In the spring of 1967, four months into his first term as governor of California, Ronald Reagan signed a bill that, among its other provisions, legalized abortion for the vaguely-defined “well being” of the mother. Reagan may have been personally pro-life, but in this instance he was willing to compromise in order to achieve other ends he considered more important. That he claimed later to regret signing the bill doesn’t change the fact that he did. As Casey Stengel liked to say, “You could look it up.”

Posted Image

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

I lost my post, dammit. New laptop.

I remember when he signed that bill, because I was a Freshman in high school (yes, I'm that old :p ), and was encouraged, both at home and via a current affairs class to start reading newspapers and forming our own opinions- and there were a crapload of them. Martin Luther's "I Have A Dream" had been in 1962, IIRC correctly, and the Vietnam War was in full swing. People's opinions were ping-ponging all over the place, and many families were already divided on these two issues, and that division would carry into the 70's.

Reagan was an intensely practical man who took support where he could find it, and then ran for Governor. I can't remember what year he joined the Birch Society (not long before he ran for Governor), a bunch of crazy (and I do mean rabid) conservatives who hated anyone who wasn't a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant. There was still fallout from the Cold War and a lot of clamoring from the Right about "Commies." One of their kids used to plaster posters at my high school saying pasteurization of milk and fluoride in the water were Commie plots.  :p I guess he had to take his amusement where he could get it. :p :p :p

When he got elected he went his own way, which was mostly but not always Conservative, since California is and was then a state that is heavily Liberal.

He did some dumb things, too, like closing the state mental hospitals and turning the marginally (and sometimes more than marginally) mentally ill out into the general population, where they remain a significant part of the homeless population. They were hellholes (I went to Napa State Hospital when I was in nursing school), but I would have preferred reforming them so these people could continue to receive needed care. I moved in August and I'm in a secured building, but it's right across the street from the Jesus Center, which does great work feeding the homeless, getting them needed food, showers, etc. And I get treated to a daily spectacle of a poor schizophrenic who screams obscenities about his woes at imaginary people every afternoon (this past Saturday he started at 6:45 a.m. and then came back in the afternoon). His imaginary friends apparently live on my side of the street :p although he never crosses the street (so far, anyway). I finally called the local cops, who are rousting him on a regular basis, and who are hoping they'll eventually be able to scoop him up and get the poor man a mandatory psych eval. An undiagnosed or untreated schizophrenic can, under some circumstances, be a danger to themselves and others. But I digress. Sorry.

Yep. Reagan really operated far more often out of practicality than his Conservative legend would have it, particularly when he was Governor of California, which was and is heavily Liberal. He used the finesse he learned as a movie star and a crafty mind to get elected. He also learned the art of compromise at lightning speed, something I wish some of his successors had learned.

Edited by Rhea, 15 January 2014 - 02:41 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abortion, reproductive rights

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users