9 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

and the hits just keep on coming...

http://www.huffingto..._n_4639341.html

Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell ®and wife Maureen were indicted on federal corruption charges Monday, the Washington Post reports.

The couple is being charged for illegally accepting gifts while McDonnell was in office.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

This has been in the pipeline for some time of course but - yes - the corrupt republican governor meme is now fully fueled.  McD had presidential aspirations of his own a few years back.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yes, I remember the reports that he was being vetted to be Mitt's VP candidate, but after the corruption story started to unravel that wasn't a possibility.  But, yeah, the GOP sure is a tarnished brand.

Source:

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yes, both McD and Christie washed out of Romney's vetting process, or refused to answer some questions, which amounted to the same thing.  At least we know they WERE vetting, unlike McCain in '08.

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 21 January 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yes, both McD and Christie washed out of Romney's vetting process, or refused to answer some questions, which amounted to the same thing.  At least we know they WERE vetting, unlike McCain in '08.

The whole Palin thing is just too painful to think about.  What a colossal screw up in vetting.  Although, I admire Steve Schmidt for admitting to exactly what happened.  Doesn't excuse it, but I admire his owning up to it.  I like him for that, and of all the GOP pundits, I like listening to him and Nicole Wallace the most.  There is a certain amount of trust that I think forms when someone owns something like that.  I mean that poor vetting could have has some tragic consequences, who would admit to how bad it was?

Source:

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I remember reading about this. It's pretty extraordinary how much the governor and his wife stuck their hands in Williams' pockets.

From the article:

Authorities alleged that for nearly two years, the McDonnells hit up executive Jonnie R. Williams Sr. again and again, lodging near constant requests for large loans, clothes, trips, golf accessories and private plane rides.

In exchange, authorities allege, the McDonnells worked in concert to lend the prestige of the governorship to Williams’ struggling company, a small former cigarette manufacturer that now sells dietary supplements.

The two were charged with 14 felony counts, including wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, obtaining property under color of their official office and conspiring to the do the same.
They were also charged with making false statements to a federal credit union.

McDonnell was also charged with making a false statement to another financial institution, and Maureen McDonnell was charged with obstructing the investigation.

Charges mean the couple could face a maximum of decades in prison, though would likely serve far less if convicted.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostCait, on 21 January 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

But, yeah, the GOP sure is a tarnished brand.

The left has it's share also: Anthony Weiner, anyone?

Having said that....I personally wouldn't mind if they threw this jacka$$ UNDER the prison. Although, I must say...the idea of him being in gen pop, sharing a cell with Bubba, learning all the ins and outs of cellmate bitchery, does appeal to me. Of course, none of THAT would happen. At most he'll be sent to a fed country club, in PC, given a cell by himself with almost all the amenities of home. And that is just truly sad. He deserves to pay for what seems clear he did.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yet again - Things that upset you are not necessarily things that are crimes.  Anthony Weiner is a d-bag extraordinaire, but no one has ever even alleged that he committed a crime.  This guy and his wife are going to jail - probably for decades.  I'd love it if you could acknowledge the difference.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 22 January 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yet again - Things that upset you are not necessarily things that are crimes.  Anthony Weiner is a d-bag extraordinaire, but no one has ever even alleged that he committed a crime.  This guy and his wife are going to jail - probably for decades.  I'd love it if you could acknowledge the difference.

Oh I do acknowledge the difference. And what's even more surprising, having googled this story...It just might be possible that this a$$ didn't break any laws. Apparently Va laws allow for gifts: http://www.slate.com...oliticians.html

Under the “Lax Virginia Ethics Law,” there is no cap on the amount of gifts an elected official can receive, so long as all gifts valued at more than $50 are disclosed annually. Moreover, any gifts to spouses and immediate family members are not counted as gifts to the official. So that when, for instance, Jonnie R. Williams Sr., the chief executive of the foundering nutritional supplements company Star Scientific, paid out $15,000 to cater the governor’s daughter’s wedding in 2011, that was considered a gift to the daughter—even though the governor signed the catering contract and the caterers refunded the overpayment to his wife.

Those laws seriously, seriously, need to be changed and tightened. It's almost like they were written for the sole purpose of bribing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Thanks.  Yes, the particulars on this one are amazing.  Note that he was indicted under Federal law.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virginia, Gov. McDonald, Corruption, Inditment, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users