Oregon Party Affiliation 2014 Elections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

One can only hope that Oregon is leading the way, both in primary election initiatives, and the desertion of party affiliation.  IMO, only when political parties have to be accountable to the voters,  will we have a chance at real reform.  Non-membership will actually make political parties come a courtin'.  As it is now, they cater to the base.  Maybe as the base gets smaller, we can see some reform.

http://www.oregonliv..._more_than.html

As I played around with the latest Oregon voter registration numbers, I realized that the state entered new territory last year:  For the first time in modern Oregon history, more than 30 percent of voters are no longer registered with either the Democratic or Republican parties.

The rise in voters who register with one of the minor parties or -- more likely, with no party at all -- has been going on for a long time.  Nationally, Gallup last month found that 42 percent of voters identified themselves as independents, the highest percentage the pollster has found since it started asking the question 25 years ago.
That may be due in large part with voter unhappiness with Congress, President Barack Obama and the general state of the economy.  But it's also part of a larger cultural trend, with young voters in particular not wanting to identify themselves as part of a political party.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Nationally, Gallup last month found that 42 percent of voters identified themselves as independents, the highest percentage the pollster has found since it started asking the question 25 years ago.

I think this is great news.

Clearly, both parties are failing a lot of people--for a variety of reasons--and my hope is that one day new parties will form. I so wish we could break away from this two-party formula.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 21 January 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

. I so wish we could break away from this two-party formula.

So do I.  Unless we break away from this model, well, I don't see how the Republic survives politically

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oregon, Party Affiliation, 2014, Elections

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users