Arrow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Bronze Tiger escapes from prison and threatens Starling City with Malcolm's earthquake machine. Meanwhile, Roy refuses to train with Arrow unless the vigilante reveals his true identity, Laurel is disbarred, and Thea tries to get Walter and Moira to reconcile.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

When I thought that they might be introducing the Suicide Squad on Arrow last week I didn't think they'd actually form it this week. I guess I need to move my predictions ahead even more than I already do for this show.

I can't say it's too surprising that Roy is part of "Team Arrow" ("We don't call it that!") already. I think that's a good thing if they want to move ahead with Oliver training a sidekick/helper. Roy's desire to be a vigilante without actually becoming a vigilante had pretty much run its course anyway. I just hope this development doesn't end up diminishing Diggle's role in any way.

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'd say it was Malcolm who paid them to get the prototype and we finally learned how Thea's parentage was leaked although Walter knew too which is interesting. Moria entering the mayoral race might be a good little storyarc for her but I can't see her winning. And while Ollie revealing himself to Roy was problematical at best I hope it doesn't come back to hurt him.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Initially I thought it was Malcolm that paid for the prototype but it seemed more like someone else thought Malcolm's idea was so good that they'd try it in their own city. I'm not sure what Malcolm would want with the device. His plan already worked last season.

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Well the only two choices are Blood and Slade and the prototype was in Malcolm's house and I'd say only he knew where it was. And you can't have the Suicide Squad without Captain Boomerang. :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Pretty good overall, but I still don't care for their version of Amanda Waller. And that line "It's more of a squad" is the sort of thing that only works for those viewers who are comics fans and already know about the Suicide Squad. It's too inside to work very well as a scene-ending line for the audience as a whole.

But Sarah showing up for Laurel at the end there was great. I figured that was who Oliver was calling, but the actual reveal was a cool moment. Hopefully this will be what Laurel needs to get turned around.

Michael Jai White's return was welcome. He has a really amazing voice. Great to see Colin Salmon back too. And even Annie Ilonzeh was back and looking great (except she had too much blush on her cheeks, and so did Laurel). It's old home week. Now they just need to bring back Kelly Hu...
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostChristopher, on 29 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

And that line "It's more of a squad" is the sort of thing that only works for those viewers who are comics fans and already know about the Suicide Squad. It's too inside to work very well as a scene-ending line for the audience as a whole.
I don't think you're giving non-comic readers or the writers enough credit. Generally, a squad has more of a military/police unit sort of meaning. While its meaning can be synonymous with "team" in certain contexts, I think it was pretty clear given A.R.G.U.S.'s military-like nature and her comments about her identity being classified that she's looking to create a classified militant group. Squad has special significance in that context and conveys a different meaning than team.

So while it was clearly a reference to the comics that was put in there for fans, it carried plenty of weight on its own in the context of the series without knowledge of the comics. It also contrasted quite well with Roy's naming Oliver's group "Team Arrow." The fact that Amanda Waller made such a distinction in the scene right before Roy named Team Arrow further establishes that her organized group will be quite different from the Arrow's.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 January 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Yes, of course it conveys a different bit of information, but to the uninitiated, that information about what type of group it was wouldn't be a big enough deal to be delivered with that level of drama and used as the payoff line of the scene.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

I disagree. It's a huge deal. Amanda Waller is known to work for A.R.G.U.S., which is a government entity and has military grade weaponry. Now we've learned that she's recruiting known criminals into a top secret squad. The secrecy of the squad wasn't directly stated but it was implied with her comment about her classified identity.

The scene implies that this new squad will be yet another threat (or a morally ambiguous ally) that Oliver will have to deal with in a season that's already loaded with some pretty serious heavy hitters (literally in Slade's case). I think all of that is enough to warrant the level of drama in the episode without taking the comic book angle into account. The comic book reference was just an added bonus for those that get it.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 January 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#10 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostChristopher, on 29 January 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hopefully this will be what Laurel needs to get turned around.

*winces*

When Sarah showed up, and TPTB said she was part of Laurel's journey to becoming Black Canary, I told my son that Laurel would lose everything and then find Sarah, just in time for her to die in her arms, and that would push her into taking up the mantle herself. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman! Sorry, I'm in desperate need of coffee...) I don't think things are going to improve for Laurel...

#11 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

I suspect things are going to get much worse for Laurel before they get better in the long run. But I do think this development will be the beginning of Laurel's life turning around. We just won't see the results for a while. I don't think Sara had a happy ending in store for her with the League of Assassins after her.

Edited by NeuralClone, 30 January 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostAvalon, on 30 January 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

When Sarah showed up, and TPTB said she was part of Laurel's journey to becoming Black Canary, I told my son that Laurel would lose everything and then find Sarah, just in time for her to die in her arms, and that would push her into taking up the mantle herself. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman! Sorry, I'm in desperate need of coffee...) I don't think things are going to improve for Laurel...

I'm kinda hoping it's the other way around. I like Caity Lotz much more than Katie Cassidy.

Facebook Author Page

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

I'm finding Caity Lotz to be pretty bland. Initially I liked her but she plays every single scene exactly the same way. Katie Cassidy has at least shown that she has some range in her acting abilities if she has good enough material.

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 30 January 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I'm finding Caity Lotz to be pretty bland. Initially I liked her but she plays every single scene exactly the same way. Katie Cassidy has at least shown that she has some range in her acting abilities if she has good enough material.

Caity Lotz seems to act better in the Starling City scenes to me, in the lsland scenes she and Stephen always look wet tired, they're probably freezing and tired in most of those island scenes nowadays.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostDWF, on 30 January 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Caity Lotz seems to act better in the Starling City scenes to me, in the lsland scenes she and Stephen always look wet tired, they're probably freezing and tired in most of those island scenes nowadays.
Oddly enough, I was thinking the exact opposite. I find Caity more convincing in most island scenes because she does the cold and tired thing better (and it's probably not too difficult to convey either of those given that she's probably actually cold and tired). Whereas I find her Starling City scenes to feel rather forced and unnatural. Or at least some of them are. I'm pretty mixed on her, to be honest.

I thought she was great in Sara's flashback episode, though. How she interacts with Katie Cassidy in the next episode will certainly be interesting. We've never seen her play Sara while interacting with Laurel before.

Edited by NeuralClone, 30 January 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users