Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Lunches seized from kids in debt at SLC elementary

Salt Lake City Utah School lunches 2014

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostCait, on 06 February 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

http://ktla.com/2014.../#axzz2sVKLYjOA

And the true humanity of man rears its head... Along with some brains...  This will restore anyone's faith in humanity.

Kids in Utah who had their lunches taken away because their accounts were empty inspired one man to make sure it didn't happen at his school.
Kenny Thompson, a tutor at a Houston school, took $465 of his own money and paid off the account balances of 60 kids. "They don't need to be worried about finances," he said. "They need to be worried about what grade they got in spelling."

Really cool

It would be nice if they could find a better way to make sure kids are fed all the time but short of people just doing this or funding programs to feed kids (like the backpack for the weekend programs), I'm not sure how to do it.  Maybe when I win the lottery....(I wish)

I looked the school district up because he mentioned that that might be the only meal of the day for those kids and I know that Houston ISD gives free breakfast to all the kids.  The school district feeds all kids, regardless of income levels for free.  But thi school was in Spring Branch ISD so I guess they don't.

My kids's last two school districts also had that breakfast program because the belief is that it's important  for kids to eat breakfast. So many other school districts around here do this but not all. I guess. And they were not a wealthy school district either like HISD

Does anyone else know if other schools across the US have this breakfast program?  I'm talking about a school provided totally free-to-every-child breakfast meal.

Edited by Tricia, 07 February 2014 - 08:35 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#42 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostTricia, on 07 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Does anyone else know if other schools across the US have this breakfast program?  I'm talking about a school provided totally free-to-every-child breakfast meal.

We have it here. I don't know if the high school is part of the program, but I know the grade school does this. Last I knew, not many kids actually ate breakfast at the school, but from what I've been told, that has changed.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#43 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's all grade levels here.

It all depends on the day as to how many kids eat breakfast.  Ya know depending on what is served.  Always cereal available but other days it can be breakfast burritos, scrambled eggs, (the least popular day), french toast etc

BTW I'm a huge fan of eating breakfast, to properly fuel the body, so the free to all breakfast at school is something I believe in.  I never used to eat it myself, always made my kids eat breakfast, but I've learned the difference it makes.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#44 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

School bus driver says he lost job for speaking up for boy denied lunch over 40-cent debt

http://www.rawstory....r-40-cent-debt/

He listed his personal phone number and urged the school to call him the next time a child was short 40 cents for lunch.
“We will scrape up the money,” he said.
Cook said he was given an ultimatum the following day by the school district, which he could apologize, update his critical comments online, and accept a two-week suspension or be fired.
The driver refused to apologize and was terminated from his job for violating the school district’s social media policy.
Haralson County school officials initially denied the student was denied lunch, but the school board has since approved a program to serve free breakfast and lunch to all students.
The ACLU has filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the school district on Cook’s behalf, arguing that the driver’s free speech rights were violated.
Georgia this time.   :mad:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Salt Lake City, Utah, School lunches, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users