South Park: The Stick of Truth

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Is anyone else looking forward to this RPG as much as I am? Assuming it actually hits its March 4 launch date (it keeps getting delayed for various reasons), I can't wait to sit down to play this! :D

NOTE: This game is rated for ages 17+ and as such it contains content, language, and violence that one might expect from a game with that rating. Some of the videos linked below contain adult language. Basically, if you aren't a fan of South Park or you're easily offended, I don't recommend watching the videos.

Trey Parker: "I hope we don't get a ****ing 4 on Gamespot!" :lol:

Edited by NeuralClone, 30 January 2014 - 05:17 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

I was looking forward to it when it was first announced, but then it fell off my radar until I heard about the approaching release date, and then it got pushed back again, and then it looked like it might be cancelled, etc. So I forgot about it. Plus I haven't watched South Park in years. The game does look good but I'll probably wait and see what the reviews say and see if anyone here plays it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

The delays have certainly been frustrating. At the same time I hope it means that the game is being given the time it needs to properly finished.

I've already preordered it so I'll certainly be playing it. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting any of the special pre-order bonuses since I ordered it from Amazon instead of Steam.

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

This is extremely good news:

http://www.ign.com/a...oesnt-use-uplay

I've been concerned about this game shipping with Uplay ever since I heard about Ubisoft picking up the publishing rights to the game. Thank goodness it won't be using it and will instead be sticking to the much saner Steam DRM.

Edited by NeuralClone, 05 February 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#5 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

The first 13 minutes of gameplay (contains adult language):

DON'T watch this video if you want to remain completely unspoiled.

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

I've been playing this a lot since it unlocked last night. If you like South Park at all, this game is frakking brilliant. It's like playing through a 20 hour South Park episode. It's very clear that Matt Stone and Trey Parker really put a lot of work into this game. And Obsidian really outdid themselves making this look exactly like an episode of the show.

My suggestion is to not read spoilers for the story. Half the fun is seeing how things unfold. Some really fun twists.

There are a few issues with the game, though. Most of the problems come down to learning and using new farts (yes, you read that right farts are this game's magic). In combat mode, they're easy enough to use. The problem is when you're out of combat and have to use them to distract people or interact with the environment.

The controls for this feel a little buggy and/or clunky. The same goes for the controls for giving your buddy (current party member) commands outside of combat. It uses the same somewhat clunky interface. It's rather odd because everything else feels fairly polished.

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Meant to ask you about this earlier but kept forgetting. Have you finished the game yet? What were your overall impressions? I'm still on the fence about it. It's been years since I've watched South Park. I don't even watch the re-runs of older episodes. So I'm not sure how much enjoyment I would get out of it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I had actually meant to post more about the game after I beat it but I also forgot.

I beat the game in about 20 hours or so. I loved it so much I immediately started a new game the following day. If you like South Park or have liked South Park at some point in the past, then I highly recommend the game. It really is like playing through a 15-20 hour episode of the show. The transitions from gameplay to cutscenes are incredibly seamless. Every scene in the game looks and feels like it fits into an episode of the show. It's really quite impressive.

The game itself is tons of fun. The RPG elements are surprisingly well thought out but at the same time they also make fun of RPGs in general. The game is very self-aware that it's a game, and so are the characters. One of the characters actually complains about the turn-based combat being "lame." All of the rules of combat were thought out by Cartman and the rest of the kids playing the game in town (e.g., only 1 potion per turn. Cartman: "I asked for 5 but this was a compromise.")

Overall the game is one giant love letter to South Park fans. Literally everything in the game is jam-packed with references to the show's 17 seasons. A major plot element even goes back to the very first episode of the show and something related to that becomes a major part of gameplay (hint: "Moo moo moo?"). Cartman's cat, who hasn't appeared on the show in a good long while, even makes an appearance as a "horse" in the Kupa Keep stables. All of the items you can get have amusing descriptions and are often references to things that have happened on the show. Even the "junk" items that you can find throughout the game all have hilarious descriptions. And there are at least 100 or more different junk items. There's also a hilarious rendition of "Blame Canada" from the movie at one point in the game. There's even a fake ending that features a nuke going off that prematurely ends the game and sends you to the end credits. Afterward it prompts you to continue from where you left off.

You can hear various songs from the series on the radio while walking around the different shops in downtown South Park. And there are lots of other fun surprises music-wise at different points in the game. There's one late in the game that I found particularly amusing. Battle music ranges from epic Celtic-like themes to rock themes. All of it contrasts brilliantly with the non-epic nature of the kids LARPing.

I could easily go on and on about the brilliance of the references or the hilarity of the story. The bottom line is that if you like South Park at all and aren't easily offended, then I highly recommend checking the game out. It's very clear that Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and Obsidian spent a tremendous amount of time on this game and wanted to make the best possible South Park game imaginable. And they delivered. It's easily Obsidian's best game to date. There are very few technical problems (I sorted out the control issues I mentioned above) and the game is very stable overall. It goes to show what they can accomplish if actually given time to finish a game properly. It's certainly one of the best franchise adaptations outside of the Batman: Arkham series.

If someone is NOT a fan of South Park, then this game probably isn't going to work too well for them. The game is completely uncensored (if you're lucky enough to live in one of the regions that didn't censor and gut the hell out of it) and they make sure they take full advantage of that throughout. The Stick of Truth is not afraid to delve into uncomfortable territory, all while immediately pointing out just how stupid certain plot elements actually are.

I really hope they release some DLC, expansions, or make a full-blown sequel. I'd love to see them do a Coon and Friends-related story, for example. There's so much potential for this series.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 March 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Good review. I'll have to give the game a shot. Maybe rent it first to see if I'll like it.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Yes, definitely rent it first if you have any doubts! I think that if you like South Park at all you'll have a blast with it, though. If you've played a lot of RPGs and games in general then you'll appreciate it even more because it makes fun of tons of stuff.

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

I'm currently swamped with a big end of semester workload but I think once all that is done I'm going to give this game a go.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Cool! Hope you enjoy it! :D

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

I rented the game today. It's pretty amazing so far. They really took their time with this game and released the best version of it. I haven't played much yet. I'm on the quest to recruit Cartman's three best warriors. Craig is grounded so I'm going to find the other two. I also got the side quest to find the "tri-corder" at the church and I did. Mainly I've been roaming around, going into random houses and looting.

I thought the gameplay would be a turn off since I hate turn based combat but it's actually pretty fun so far. I bet when I unlock more abilities and get better weapons it will be even more of a blast.

You were right about the references NC. There are a ton just by looking at Cartman's and Butter's closets. I was surprised with some of the stuff they've gotten away with though, like some of the items in Cartman's mom's room or the nude woman you come across in a house.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Make sure you try to open Stan's closet! :lol:

They're actually able to get away with a lot more in the game than they can get away with in the show, and they've been able to get away with quite a bit in recent years. Only Islam is off limits based on Comedy Central's censorship. Everything else (including every other religion) is fair game. What you've described is pretty tame for the game. There's FAR more objectionable stuff later on. But it's so damn funny despite the offensiveness!

Edited by NeuralClone, 07 May 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm now on day two and am about to decide whether to ally myself with Cartman or with Kyle. I think I'll pick Kyle just to see what happens. Though I'm afraid that I won't have access to Kenny or Butters. They both have some powerful attacks. Kenny's animal wave and unicorn attack have come in very handy.

Okay, the Al Gore and ManBearPig fights were tough. It sucked that he could regenerate health. The MBP fight took me a couple of tries before I beat him. I ended up using my arrows which were flaming and had a gross attack on them, as well as spamming Kenny's unicorn attack.

This game just throws a lot of curves at you, doesn't it? I couldn't believe it when the aliens abducted my character. That was so funny. Now the government wants to destroy South Park. "It's a Taco Bell." Ha! Though I was glad that I finally figured out what all those devices were around town. They're alien devices that let you teleport. I kept seeing them but could never figure out how to do anything with them.

Make sure you try to open Stan's closet! :lol:

That was hilarious. Did not expect it but I should have. I'm so glad I rented this game. I will definitely buy it once I get the cash.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

I'm now on day two and am about to decide whether to ally myself with Cartman or with Kyle. I think I'll pick Kyle just to see what happens. Though I'm afraid that I won't have access to Kenny or Butters. They both have some powerful attacks. Kenny's animal wave and unicorn attack have come in very handy.
I won't spoil any of the plot but that choice between Kyle and Cartman does have a short term impact on who you have access to for your party. But it isn't a permanent restriction. There's a point in the game where you have full access to all of the characters. Remember that the game is making fun of a lot of other games. So it'll sometimes give a choice and then completely ignore it 5 minutes later to poke fun at games that give the illusion of choice yet don't actually offer any.

Also, beware of the false ending. There's a point where the game immediately sends you to the end credits if you mess up instead of showing you the pearly gates. After the end credits finish rolling, it asks you if you want to continue. It's a pretty devious and, IMO, quite funny attempt to troll players. If you get to that point and don't reload, you miss out on almost 2 hours of additional gameplay, as well as an actual conclusion to the story that you absolutely won't want to miss.

Okay, the Al Gore and ManBearPig fights were tough. It sucked that he could regenerate health. The MBP fight took me a couple of tries before I beat him. I ended up using my arrows which were flaming and had a gross attack on them, as well as spamming Kenny's unicorn attack.
Those two fights are some of the hardest in the game for sure. There are a few near the end that are fairly challenging too but Al Gore in particular is very tough to take down compared to most bosses. I love his opening global warming presentation attack though. :lol:

This game just throws a lot of curves at you, doesn't it? I couldn't believe it when the aliens abducted my character. That was so funny. Now the government wants to destroy South Park. "It's a Taco Bell." Ha! Though I was glad that I finally figured out what all those devices were around town. They're alien devices that let you teleport. I kept seeing them but could never figure out how to do anything with them.
I love how no matter how absurd the situation becomes, the people of South Park still believe that Taco Bell is behind all the craziness. Never mind the government soldiers and men in black everywhere! :D And let's just say that the absurdity has only just begun...

The alien abduction sequence is pretty funny. It was censored to death outside of North America (on consoles anyway -- the PC version is mostly uncensored in most places). While understandable, it's so ridiculous that it's difficult to take it too seriously. The alien probe you get that allows you to teleport around is both hilarious and ingenious in a twisted sort of way. It's one of the more useful upgrades you get.

That was hilarious. Did not expect it but I should have.
Yeah, I didn't expect it either because the Tom Cruise thing somehow slipped my mind. I don't know how that happened. The "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet" plot is one of my favorite things they've done on the show.

I'm so glad I rented this game. I will definitely buy it once I get the cash.
It's definitely worth every penny. I know a lot of people have complained that the game is "too expensive." Yeah, it's $60. So are most games, and there are plenty of games that offer far less entertainment value for the same price. The game has crazy good production values. It isn't the longest game of all time (20 hours if you do almost everything it has to offer) but it really is a giant love letter to South Park fans. It's so loaded with content that it makes the price tag seem far less significant than with games that offer 5 hours of gameplay and 2 hours of cutscenes.

#17 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Just finished the game. OMG. The things that happened in the last bit of the game. All of the girl drama, the abortion clinic, Mr. Slave, Nazi zombies, Clyde becoming a dark lord, Kenny, the underpants gnomes, etc. Seriously, the abortion clinic part had me laughing so hard. Probably the best part of the game.

Also, beware of the false ending.

I never encountered this. When was it supposed to happen?

It's definitely worth every penny. I know a lot of people have complained that the game is "too expensive." Yeah, it's $60. So are most games, and there are plenty of games that offer far less entertainment value for the same price. The game has crazy good production values. It isn't the longest game of all time (20 hours if you do almost everything it has to offer) but it really is a giant love letter to South Park fans. It's so loaded with content that it makes the price tag seem far less significant than with games that offer 5 hours of gameplay and 2 hours of cutscenes.

I totally agree. It may not be the longest game ever but it's pretty amazing. It has basically everything a South Park game should have. It feels like playing an extra long episode of the show. The plot alone is worth the admission simply because it goes in so many different directions and truly had me guessing what would happen next.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#18 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:41 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 12 May 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Just finished the game. OMG. The things that happened in the last bit of the game. All of the girl drama, the abortion clinic, Mr. Slave, Nazi zombies, Clyde becoming a dark lord, Kenny, the underpants gnomes, etc. Seriously, the abortion clinic part had me laughing so hard. Probably the best part of the game.
"Christmas time comes once a year..."

"Glitter!" "Sparkle!"

:lol:

I'm really glad you enjoyed the game! :D This thread is making me want to go back and replay it for a third time. I hadn't had so much fun in a game in at least a year. The Tomb Raider reboot was the last game I played that I enjoyed this much. And South Park probably has the edge just from a pure entertainment standpoint.

I never encountered this. When was it supposed to happen?
If you fail to abort the nuke that's in Mr. Slave's ass ("Oh Jesus. Jesus Christ!"), it detonates. You're treated to a long distance shot of the nuke going off and then it immediately goes to the end credits. It's the only point in the game where an actual death results in it looking like you've reached the end of the game. After the credits roll, it prompts you to reload. It's quite funny, really.

I totally agree. It may not be the longest game ever but it's pretty amazing. It has basically everything a South Park game should have. It feels like playing an extra long episode of the show. The plot alone is worth the admission simply because it goes in so many different directions and truly had me guessing what would happen next.
Yeah, the game is pretty brilliant. Obviously not for the easily offended but I don't know why the easily offended would pick up something South Park related in the first place. The plot is so convoluted and ridiculous that it's actually rather brilliant. It's easily some of Matt and Trey's best South Park work, and that's saying a lot considering how many gems they've produced over the years.

What's great is they could easily do a sequel or expansion to this and change up tons of stuff just by having the kids play a different game. I'd love to see a Coon and Friends based story, for example. I'll be surprised if they do another full game anytime soon since it took so much work to do this one. But I'd love to see a sequel at some point in the future. If not, then at least we finally have a really good South Park game.

Edited by NeuralClone, 13 May 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

What's great is they could easily do a sequel or expansion to this and change up tons of stuff just by having the kids play a different game. I'd love to see a Coon and Friends based story, for example. I'll be surprised if they do another full game anytime soon since it took so much work to do this one. But I'd love to see a sequel at some point in the future. If not, then at least we finally have a really good South Park game.

A Coon and Friends game would be so awesome. Like you, I'd be surprised if they did a sequel anytime soon but I hope they do. There's so much more they could do with the franchise that it would be a crime not to do more. Or at least release some DLC.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

I got the game for my birthday and have started a second play through. I decided to be a Jew this time. I have barely started but the game is just as entertaining this time as it was the first. I can see myself re-playing this game quite a few times.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users