• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 31 January 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

I agree that Bush did run up debt with Iraq...

Most of the Bush deficit was because of the Bush tax cuts. A good bit of the Obama deficit, too, since those tax cuts are still around. What is the GOP still advocating? More tax cuts. So you're still cheering on the policies that caused a lot of what you're railing against.

#22 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 31 January 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on 31 January 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Are you kidding?  The credit rating was lowered over the debt ceiling crisis in 2011 which was caused by who?  If you said House Republicans threatening to default on the full faith and credit of the United States in a brazen attempt to extort the President, you'd be right.  Fast-forward two years and they actually DID shut down the government.  How did that work out for them?

I guess in your world, Obama can do no wrong.

Hardly.  I've been critical of Obama many times - often right here on this board - but I see no profit in blaming him for things he didn't do and indeed could not do by law.  

You may need to refresh your memory on the debt ceiling in general (must be raised by congress via the legislative process to cover debts already incurred BY CONGRESS during budget appropriations) and the debt ceiling crisis of 2011, in particular.  Note that the cost of the crisis should not only be measured in the credit rating downgrade but also in increased borrowing costs that go with a lower rating - which the GAO put at almost NINETEEN BILLION DOLLARS over ten years.  That was an expensive temper tantrum the House Republicans threw.  I imagine the one from last fall was even more expensive than that.  So get this: in threatening to default over the "out of control spending" it authorized, the House GOP managed to to add another 20 billion to the total.  20 billion here, 20 billion there - pretty soon it adds up to real money.  :).

If you were really upset about the debt, you'd be upset with the GOP over this.  Yet somehow it's Obama's fault.

Just curious, what is the color of the sky in your world?

Right back atcha, buddy.

Edited by BklnScott, 31 January 2014 - 03:25 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#23 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 30 January 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

As far as I'm concerned, what a woman does with her body is her choice. I'm a "man". IMO, no man should tell a woman what to do with her body...at least no smart man would.

Again, what 2 consenting adults do is their own business. None of mine, unless they decide to have their sex on my bed...Which I don't see happening.

Have I mentioned lately that I adore you? :hearts:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#24 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

nevermind.

Edited by Balderdash, 31 January 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Executive Orders, Obama, 2014, Constitution, Government

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users