• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have Kubuntu 10.04 Desktop Edition, which I chose to buy pre-installed on a CD (bought on an Amazon gift card), so it was pretty much free for me) rather than download from Kubuntu.org so I wouldn't have to deal with purchasing a spindle of blank CDs, making the CD bootable, downloading the .ISO, and extracting the .ISO to the CD.

Anyway, around 2:30 this morning, I put the disc in my disc drive, rebooted, and chose "Try Kubuntu without installing.".  Then up came the Kubuntu logo.  When I got up around 11:45 this morning, instead of seeing the Windows 7-style KDE Plasma Desktop, there's the logo while it's still tryin' to load.  Frell!  Ubuntu was also really slow, but it came up after about 5 minutes.

Edited by Datalyss, 17 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#2 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

I'm a mint user, but I'm not really thrilled about it. I don't want to go back to windows, and all my other stuff is apple. Did you ever get your issues sorted out?

#3 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Yep.  I solved the problem by getting Windows 8.1.  I'm currently running the 64-bit version /w Classic Shell installed...works just like Windows 7

I'm also logged in using the "master" administrator account, which can by activated thru the command prompt window in administrator modeby typing NET USER ADMINSTRATOR /ACTIVE:YES.   Normally, users have to log in using their Microsoft accounts, which means they can't even logon (much less use any of the Start screen apps...even the local ones,  such as the Metro version of the Calcutator) if their internet connection is down.

Also, after I installed 8.1, not only did I discover it install the correct internet and video adapter like Windows 7  did, it also detected and installed the driver for my HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer...they were all included.  I didn't need to install an anti-virus program either.  It includes Microsoft Security Essentials (renamed Windows Defender).

Edited by Datalyss, 10 April 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#4 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Crap. :( I might have to pony up the dough then.

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

I bought my copy at Amazon for $107 bucks.  Remember to activate the hidden "master" administrator account and use it as your primary account if you want to use Windows when your internet is temporarily down for whatever reason.

Besides being able to log on locally, the master admin account gives you total access.  Mainly, you won't be bothered by the UACevery time you install an appliction.

Edited by John R. Sellers, 11 April 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I switched my tower system to Linux Mint Maya distribution a couple of months ago.  Have an issue on hard drive boot as it still hangs when trying to connect to a drive for NTFS access, but the boot process resumes fine when I press the 's' to skip.  I'm trying to find where it keeps trying to access the drive during the boot process so I could disable/remove it but having no luck.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#7 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

Finally found it...buried in my fstab (file system table) file.  

I first had to figure out how to get the verbose messages to show up on boot so I could see where the issues on the mount points were at so I could match them in the FSTAB file.  Then, just a matter of editing the FSTAB file, rebooting, and voila....clean boot back.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users