• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I was driving home from the Presidents Day parade in Indio a couple hours ago and listening to a radio commentator complain that there are no parades for Presidents Day!   :freakoutnonny:  :howling:

In Indio, we had marching bands, we had mariachi bands, we had equestrian units, we had a stagecoach, we had politicians and we had DRAMA!  I took pictures.   :)   I tend to take photos of people taking photos of me.   :lol:   That's my favorite state politician and his lovely wife in the last picture.  Most of the drama was about the failed attempt to keep him in a car and us not marching with him.  Yeah, that went well.   :D  I followed the equestrian unit in the first photo to the house where my friends were gathered.  The man and little girl on the horse were somber, but check out the horse.   :lol:

Attached File  Presidents Day 5 parade 2-17-2014 9%.jpg   86.96K   0 downloadsAttached File  Presidents Day parade 20 2-17-2014 6%.jpg   48.53K   0 downloads
Attached File  Presidents Day parade 31 2-17-2014 9%.jpg   86.59K   0 downloadsAttached File  Presidents Day parade 50 2-17-2014 9%.jpg   100.92K   0 downloads
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Nice photos! Where's the snow?!?  Kidding--we've just seen nothing but up here. Good to see sunshine and warmth for a change. :)

The photo of man with his baby daughter on the horse is especially beautiful. They all look so noble.

I forgot it was President's Day. It's business-as-usual where I teach, so it wasn't until after classes when I stopped by the grocery store that it dawned on me that something was different. The store was packed and so was the mall parking lot. Hmmmm. I vaguely recalled hearing something about President's Day and put it all together.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Aside from government workers getting a day off work and lots of sales being advertised, it's pretty much an ignored day for the general public.  Sad really.
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Presidents' Day was a holiday (when I was still working) that the union traded away to help us get two weeks off at Christmas. It was great - we could get work done in the peace and quiet.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parade, mariachi, equestrians

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users