• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

http://www.hulu.com/watch/604426
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_3960737.html

Yeah, cause all Americans should support people like Jason Greenslate; who thinks food stamps are awesome cause it's free food.

I have no problem with helping those who really need it. But people like Greenslate, Oh HELL NO! That's why people receiving food stamps should have to work. Put them to work cleaning highways, or other community service jobs. They should also have to pass a drug test, cause if they can afford drugs...then they don't need food stamps.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

I saw the bit on the Daily Show and I had to laugh because it makes the point beautifully that no matter what, FOX will bitch about food stamps PERIOD. They complain if they don't buy wholesome food and then complain if they DO buy wholesome food. If they bought cheap fish sticks they'd complain it's junk food and not wholesome food and then complain if they DO buy real seafood and organic because somehow these folks aren't worthy of buying decent food with it. FOX is  joke, much like MSNBC is a joke.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Do food stamps come with any advice on how to eat healthy and cheap? I mean, it's not that hard. Oats, eggs, fresh spinach, beans, rice, those are some seriously healthy foods for crazy cheap. Not gonna claim that those alone are a well-rounded diet, but I'd bet those cover the vast majority of your nutritional needs.

#5 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Actually, that leads me down a road I haven't seriously considered. If this ends up being a horrible idea, I plead lack of thought. :)

What exactly can you buy with food stamps? I mean, can you go buy a twelve-pack of Pepsi for $5, some $10 frozen pizzas, a $7 tub of ice cream, and the most expensive sushi they've got? Or are there limits? I know I've seen some things labeled "WIC approved" but I think that's a different program, right?

So what if you made food stamps only cover certain things? Only the foods that are both healthy and cheap, and preferably only the store brands. Make food stamps cover literally the bare necessities. You can live off them and get all your nutritional needs covered, but you'd end up eating the same five, six, ten things all the time.

I suspect we'd collectively save money, just because of the cheaper foods being bought. And we'd have better health outcomes, because of the healthier foods being consumed. And believe me, if someone told me I only got to eat the same five things over and over until I get a job and buy my own damn Doritos, I'd find that an effective motivator! Is there a big-picture down-side? Or is this how the program already operates?

I suppose I tend to think that government assistance to the unemployed or working poor should keep them (and more importantly, their children) from permanent damage due to short-term misfortune. Keeping you comfortable is a whole different thing, and probably antithetical to the primary goal.

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostOmega, on 06 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Is there a big-picture down-side? Or is this how the program already operates?

I really don't know exactly how the program works. I know Jason Greenslate, from my link above, was able to buy Lobster with the food stamps.

As for the big picture down side? The only possible down side I can see is if someone on food stamps has allergies to certain foods. They'll need to be able to buy other foods to compensate for not being able to eat eggs, or whatever other healthy food they might be allergic to.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

^Right. Got to handle cases like that. Peanut butter's great, unless it kills you!

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Here's all the info about SNAP, including fraud--which accounts for about 5% of it, contrary to Fox's propaganda that some surfer slacker is "the new face of foodstamps!"

http://www.fns.usda....ce-program-snap

Specific info regarding what you can buy with your average monthly allotment of $130--max $200:

http://www.fns.usda....ible-food-items
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Love that they have a PDF addressing the idea of limiting what you can buy with food stamps to "healthy foods". Thanks!

I'm not sure they address my specific idea, though. Instead of defining all foods as "healthy" or "not healthy" (which would be horribly time consuming and burdensome), I'm saying you define a very narrow "minimum sustenance diet". That should be much much easier.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Is there a link us non-americans can use?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

If you're a real person that needs food stamps to LIVE they don't come close to covering everything that you may need, to be healthy but they damn sure help.  I have known people on food stamps and yes you can buy soda, lobster and other really expensive stuff or really unhealthy stuff but when it runs out you won't be eating again until you get more food stamps.

I get really angry at people that would bitch about other people being able to eat because people DIE if they don't eat.  So please don't be ignorant and make fun of or other wise belittle people (PEOPLE) who are on food stamps.  f*ck FOX news, bunch of hateful assholes, I wish them food stamps.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#12 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 06 March 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Maybe you missed it, I don't know why a non-American wouldn't be able to read this link but Specs provided this a little up thread: http://www.fns.usda....ible-food-items

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#13 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Actually, that leads me down a road I haven't seriously considered. If this ends up being a horrible idea, I plead lack of thought. :)

What exactly can you buy with food stamps? I mean, can you go buy a twelve-pack of Pepsi for $5, some $10 frozen pizzas, a $7 tub of ice cream, and the most expensive sushi they've got? Or are there limits? I know I've seen some things labeled "WIC approved" but I think that's a different program, right?

So what if you made food stamps only cover certain things? Only the foods that are both healthy and cheap, and preferably only the store brands. Make food stamps cover literally the bare necessities. You can live off them and get all your nutritional needs covered, but you'd end up eating the same five, six, ten things all the time.

WIC is a different program and unless things have changed they list what you are allowed to buy and specify what types like you can't get whole milk if it's for a child  1 or 2 yo otherwise you have to buy lower fat milk because it's healthier for women and older children

Here's a WIC authorized food  guide--
http://www.cdph.ca.g...ngGuideFAQs.pdf

I used to work in a grocery store and often saw people buying expensive cuts of meat or things like that.  Things that also weren't healthy. But I also saw people who would use their food stamp money and coupons.  

Which inspired me to use coupons to when my kids were little and we were on food stamps.  Make the funds stretch as far as possible, ya know.  

If you get lucky and are in an area where there is more funding or even volunteers, you can find classes that teach SNAP recipients (sp?) how to use coupons and about nutrition (I taught a class on using coupons to such a group years ago)  Using taking such classes is strongly recommended when you sign up for SNAP, through Goodwill or here in Texas Workforce (which is mandatory when you sign up for SNAP as it signs you up to search for work if you are unemployed and teaches you to write a resume etc for the job search because you have to be actively seeking employment if you already aren't employed.  And they do check that.)

But SNAP is usually not enough to cover the food needs for a family and around here, a lot of people have to depend on food banks to make it through and they usually still run short of food. Some food banks around here have also been having seeds to grow gardens with donated to help people grow their own healthy food (usually associated with a community garden that donates garden plots and classes in gardening to those people)again in areas with funding for said programs

The truth is the cheapest food is usually highly processed and unhealthy

Edited by Tricia, 06 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#14 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 06 March 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I have no problem with helping those who really need it. But people like Greenslate, Oh HELL NO! That's why people receiving food stamps should have to work. Put them to work cleaning highways, or other community service jobs. They should also have to pass a drug test, cause if they can afford drugs...then they don't need food stamps.

Pretty much everyone I worked with at Safeway had Food stamps, including myself. If fact, you have to have a job to qualify for foodstamps.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#15 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Found a few lists I like:

http://www.webmd.com...about-2-dollars
http://www.huffingto..._n_1620154.html
http://www.realsimpl...3188/index.html

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostBalderdash, on 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Maybe you missed it, I don't know why a non-American wouldn't be able to read this link but Specs provided this a little up thread: http://www.fns.usda....ible-food-items

Gode might have been asking about the video link in the OP.  I'm guessing Hulu isn't available outside the US?

Here's the same clip at the Daily Show site.  Does that link work for you Gode?

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Be sure to look at this report--characteristics of households receiving SNAP benefits in 2012:

http://www.fns.usda....ticsSummary.pdf

And of course we taxpayers are subsidizing the owners of McDonalds and Walmart and other retailers because their employees are on food stamps. But let's not make them pay their workers a living wage because they are "job creators!" and their workers should all pull themselves up by their bootstraps and be rocket scientists.

http://money.cnn.com...p-line-workers/

News of the McResource line comes a week after a report found that more than half of fast food workers have to rely on public assistance programs since their wages aren't enough to support them.

The report estimated that this public aid carries a $7 billion price tag for taxpayers each year.
A separate report by the National Employment Law Project released on the same day showed that McDonald's alone was responsible for $1.2 billion of that $7 billion alone.

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 06 March 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostBalderdash, on 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Gode might have been asking about the video link in the OP.  I'm guessing Hulu isn't available outside the US?

Correct. I'm rather bitter about that given how much Hulu seems to get from my American friends.

Here's the same clip at the Daily Show site.  Does that link work for you Gode?

It directs me to the UK site. Which episode was the clip in?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

^ It's from the March 4 episode, and the clip is titled:  "What Not To Buy - What Would Jesus Soil".

SFG :)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#20 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 06 March 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

Greenslate's a jerk.

But please remember, many on food stamps are working, others are disabled and unable to work. People like Greenslate are taking advantage of the system and should be stopped. Yes, he is working, but most people working toward their dream, still have an actual job. As he should.

So, your thought would be to limit people on food stamps to less variety than anyone else? (and your list of foods? Not that healthy) If you truly mean only about 10 items at the most, that is really limiting. You can buy fairly cheap, healthy-ish foods and turn it all into a meal, but that would include more than 10 items.
Bad thing is, generally, people now don't seem to know how to cook, and if they are single, have a part-time or even a full-time job and kids, you've made their lives more difficult. Should people know how to cook? Yes, absolutely, so let's get those free cooking classes, with free daycare, up and running.

I suspect we'd collectively save money, just because of the cheaper foods being bought. And we'd have better health outcomes, because of the healthier foods being consumed. And believe me, if someone told me I only got to eat the same five things over and over until I get a job and buy my own damn Doritos, I'd find that an effective motivator! Is there a big-picture down-side? Or is this how the program already operates?

As Tricia said, cheap foods tend to be the unhealthy foods.
Because the only people on food stamps, are the able-bodied, lazy ones that don't work. Now, I don't really believe you mean that, but that is how it reads.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SNAP, Food Stamps, The Daily Show, 2014, Fox News, Media, Jon Stewart

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users