• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

http://foxnewsinside...s-hannitys-help

Hannity concluded by asking Greenslate, "If I could get you a job that would pay you $80,000 a year driving a truck in North Dakota, would you take it?"

"No," Greenslate replied.

Your hard earned tax dollars at work, supporting a free loading piece of trash that even when offered a job, he refuses. Guess he just wants to follow Peolsi's advice and follow his passion: to be a free loader and have tax payers pay for his every wish. Greenslate is right up there with Rachel Canning, the teen who sued her parents.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#42 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

People like him make me sick.  I would JUMP at an offer like that.  I should be starting a second job soon, and I will barely make HALF of that salary.  I don't mind working hard for my money... in fact, I prefer it.  I don't have a great deal, but I earned every bit of it.  It's called having pride, something that seems to be missing from a vast number of people in this era.  Pride in making an honest living, pride in doing a job right... it seems to be as distant a memory in the 21st century as privacy.

#43 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

People like him make me sick too.

Sean Hannity also makes me sick because he's encouraging gullible, outrage-addicted people to generalize that MOST food stamp recipients are like this idiot.

As we discussed earlier, they are not.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#44 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 14 March 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

http://foxnewsinside...s-hannitys-help

Hannity concluded by asking Greenslate, "If I could get you a job that would pay you $80,000 a year driving a truck in North Dakota, would you take it?"

"No," Greenslate replied.

Your hard earned tax dollars at work, supporting a free loading piece of trash that even when offered a job, he refuses. Guess he just wants to follow Peolsi's advice and follow his passion: to be a free loader and have tax payers pay for his every wish. Greenslate is right up there with Rachel Canning, the teen who sued her parents.

You take one [probably paid by Fox News] reprobate and then extrapolate that all SNAP recipients are like this guy and feed your rage a little more.  Congratulations for being as gullible as all FOX News viewers.

Do you really think that this guy, who happens to represent the exact problem Fox is trying to illustrate, just fell into FOX News' lap and decided to show the world what an ass he was?  Really?  You think this guy is real?  

You believe it's real because FOX News is always so responsible in their reporting?  Or, just because it fits your idea of how your tax dollars are spent?  Or what?  Because, given the FOX News record for accurate reporting, I doubt he is real at all.  I doubt it because I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to rock his little food stamp boat by announcing and bragging to the world they abuse assistance.  If he were a real FS abuser and a shiftless man who never wanted to work he would remain in the shadows and shut his mouth so his free ride could continue.  "IF" he was.  Which I find hard to believe.  If he's that much of an idiot, then he probably needs the stamps because he doesn't have the intelligence to do anything but surf.

But, you go ahead and believe it, but I am cynic and I just can't believe Hannity got the story.  

Welcome to indoctrination 101.  Take one idea and cram it down the throats of a population.  Make them hate someone.  Then show then someone who fits the description, real or not, and let the mayhem begin.  Rinse and repeat until no one cares what the truth is as long as they can rage against someone.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#45 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Cait wrote:
just fell into FOX News' lap and decided to show the world what an ass he was?  Really?  You think this guy is real?

That was my thought, Cait. Out of all the people on FS, people who prefer privacy as we all do, they found this one guy? This one guy willing to go public and lose his FS for a report?
And if he really was on FS, I'd bet that he isn't now, and the reason he could turn down a job for $80,000 a year is because he was paid very well to do this story.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#46 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

http://www.heavy.com...-lobster-video/
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#47 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Let's be clear about something.  I never said all food stamp recipients were like this douchebag.  I never even said most.  I am certain that there are some.

I just despise people like him who abuse systems to get free rides in everything... I am putting humans in general in that category, because I personally see, every day that I work, people who are lazy and don't give a damn and do abuse whatever leeways a particular job may have.  And for every hard worker I do see, there are 30 lazy asses.  We are simply outnumbered, partly due to so many younger people having a kind of entitlement attitude.

#48 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

^ I really do share your disgust and exasperation with those behaviors. I've seen my fill of them, too. Only I see people my own age who have no shame in trying to get a lot for little or nothing in the way of effort. And I'm old. :) I have colleagues who teach the maximum allowable number of courses--which may be manageable when you teach something that doesn't take forever to grade but certainly not composition--so they can make extra money, the quality of education their students receive be damned. It infuriates me. These mercenaries are making more money than I am, and when I get their students, I have to teach them what they should already know about academic writing. It pisses me off to no end.

I just also have a problem with Fox News trying (and apparently succeeding) in making their viewers think that MOST food stamp recipients are playing the system, that SNAP should be cut because it is a waste of our tax dollars. That's what I have a problem with, not being ticked off at those who do abuse the system.

But I can't imagine anyone who supports scammers nor denies their existence. There are, however, an unfortunately large number of people--mostly Fox News viewers and right wing blog readers-- who tend to think of most SNAP and/or welfare recipients as lazy bums who are living high off the hog. That's just not real.

#49 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 14 March 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Let's be clear about something.  I never said all food stamp recipients were like this douchebag.  I never even said most.  I am certain that there are some.

You were pretty clear.  You never said all.  Your complaint was about the few you see abusing assistance of any kind.  No worries on any mis-understanding.  :)

I just despise people like him who abuse systems to get free rides in everything... I am putting humans in general in that category, because I personally see, every day that I work, people who are lazy and don't give a damn and do abuse whatever leeways a particular job may have.  And for every hard worker I do see, there are 30 lazy asses.  

It's sad that this is what you see.  It gives such a skewed idea of what assistance is all about, and how much it helps people in need.

But, think about this for just a moment.  Sure no one should be wasting our tax dollars, but our outrage seems to be limited to the individual and not at the bigger abuses of tax dollars.  But, leaving that aside, our culture teaches us to scam to get ahead.  Our culture teaches us to cheat, find the loophole, lie to make a sale, walk over anything and anyone to make a buck in the market place.  Our culture teaches these values.  Greed is good, isn't just a movie quote.

So, when that lesson is learned by those that are locked out of the marketplace by poverty and lack of opportunity, where will they turn to demonstrate the qualities of scam, lie, find the loophole?  We ask people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and then condemn them when they find a way to do it we don't like.  What should a hungry person do?  Sit down and die?  Or steal some food? Apply for food stamps?

Sure, sure, I know the answers.  Everyone should find a damn job and work for their daily bread.  But, what if you are a single mother and have 3 children who need childcare while you go out and work two minimum wage jobs?  These circumstances just don't follow any set rule of abuse or need.  People need help or they will find answers someplace else--crime.  This is why it is a state interest to care for those that are in need of food.  We need food to live.  Stay hungry long enough and your instinct for self-preservation will kick in--the law be damned.

And, I have worked with people that are lazy.  I have had to cover their work loads to get my job done.  I know what it is like to see that.  But, again, our culture teaches us to get as much as you can for as low a cost as possible.  We all seem to understand it when it comes to corporations wanting labor and raw material costs to be as low as possible, but suddenly don't understand it when labor decides to do as little as possible for wages.  It's the same coin.

When it comes to labor, the only way for work to cost less to the worker, is to produce less per labor hour.  

It's symptomatic of the entire system.  It's why jobs are eliminated for technology.  The two here are inextricably connected and our culture teaches us to "try and get away with skirting the edges and find the easier way."  We understand the big corp[oration, but condemn the individual.  The individual who has only learned exactly what our culture has taught.

We are simply outnumbered, partly due to so many younger people having a kind of entitlement attitude.

Now, this is the bigger problem.  A problem that will eventually bankrupt the country imo.  Where once, people would actually be thankful for any job, even a low wage one, the up and coming generations refuse to do those jobs.  Before it was only agricultural jobs that "no American would do", but now it is driving a bus, flipping hamburgers, working retail.  All jobs that younger people feel should be done by lessers.

Lower education no longer teaches a trade, or prepares young people for the real world.  The sense of entitlement is palpable.  Now everyone goes to some sort of higher educational facility, and uses our tax dollars to attend, all the while funding the institutions for doing very little in some cases. Colleges, universities, trade schools, design schools, on line colleges, etc have saturated the country so that now young people enter the work force in debt, and needing a higher income job to pay back loans.  

Instead of teaching our new work force how to make a living, we are taking advantage of them and driving them into debt.  And, this is why public education is necessary.  We need to educate our work force.  It's a tax dollar well spent.  There is a state interest in educating our young, not bleeding them dry in student loans. And I am speaking of ALL student loans, not just to your local college.  Trade Schools also will "help you out" with a student loan.  Hell, my niece was nearly bilked for 25 grand from a barely certified design school.  She would have had the debt, for a barely passable education, and the school had our tax dollars in their pockets for delivering sub-standard courses.

What predatory education is doing to our nation should be a crime, but, it's now an industry paid for by taxpayers [because of student loans], and I listen for outrage about this waste and abuse, but hear nothing. But, someone found a way to get tax dollars to pay for practically anything via student loans, and we're all complaining about food stamps?

Source:

#50 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

OMG a couch surfing surfer dude is buying lobster on food stamps!

He buys whatever is on sale.  He lives in San Diego.  San Diego is the home of my favorite, the California spiny lobster, which, being sweet and clawless, has limited appeal elsewhere, but when it's in season, folks buy it on sale at the groceries.  The rest of us flock to our favorite restaurants.  Lobster mac&cheese, anyone?

Here's another OMG for you: a kid born and raised in San Diego doesn't want to leave San Diego for a job in North Dakota.  Imagine that!  Why should all the rich gentrification types take over every good place?  Oh yeah.  Because Fox.   :sarcasm:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostNonny, on 14 March 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

OMG a couch surfing surfer dude is buying lobster on food stamps!

He buys whatever is on sale.  He lives in San Diego.  San Diego is the home of my favorite, the California spiny lobster, which, being sweet and clawless, has limited appeal elsewhere, but when it's in season, folks buy it on sale at the groceries.  The rest of us flock to our favorite restaurants.  Lobster mac&cheese, anyone?

Here's another OMG for you: a kid born and raised in San Diego doesn't want to leave San Diego for a job in North Dakota.  Imagine that!  Why should all the rich gentrification types take over every good place?  Oh yeah.  Because Fox.   :sarcasm:

Oh I don't blame the freeloading surfer dude for not wanting to leave and get a job. Hell, the freeloader himself said it best: "Why would I? I get everything I want and the tax payers pay for it. It's awesome dude." So why would he want to earn his own way, when idiots will gladly pay his way for him?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#52 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

How much do you suppose Jason Greenlobster gets a month? What exactly is he pulling down each month in taxpayers' dollars? Sounds like a lot, doesn't it, if he can do everything he wants and doesn't have to pay.

http://www.policymic...aux-documentary

He reports receiving benefits of $200 a month, which works out to $6.66 a day, or $2.22. And since that the cost of living in San Diego is the ninth highest in the nation, it seems highly improbable that Greenslate is really living the life he says he is based on food stamps alone.
This sensationalized story represents a dishonest attempt to portray food stamp recipients as lazy and deceitful. It distracts from the serious plights of the 78 million Americans who don't have secure access to food. SNAP has been invaluable, keeping 4.7 million people out of poverty in 2011, but the reality is that it doesn't go far enough. The average monthly benefit provides a paltry $1.50 per meal, and nearly one third of food-insecure individuals are not eligible for any federal food assistance at all. Before demonizing the needy, Fox and its affiliates should start looking at the numbers and get the story right.

So he has everything he needs for $200 a month? We're supposed to believe that this guy is living like a king on taxpayer money?

Something smells fishy here, and it ain't just lobster.

#53 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Why would this guy want to give up all the free publicity FOX is giving him by taking a job that while it pays well would not give him the time to play his music?

He wouldn't...but he will allow FOX to give him the attention and use them to promote his band.

(btw  is Hannity going to pay for this guy's CDL license that he will need to drive commercially or the  truck driving school? You just can't get one of those jobs if you haven't ever driven commercially before or don't have that CDL.   I'd think that most everyone would know that but maybe Hannity thinks just anyone can get that job on his say-so)

They give him free publicity and he gives them the terrible person on food stamps to use as an example of the freeloaders that they like to try to pretend all those on assistance are.

He even says he has an album completed, a contract, and I'd be willing to bet that it's release time for that album. And that he got that contract as a result of his earlier appearances on FOX and other places.

Some people think that there's no such thing as bad publicity and this guy seems to one of those types.  Say and do anything as long as it gets his name out there.   And people fall for that :rolleyes:

some more than others.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#54 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostSpectacles, on 14 March 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

How much do you suppose Jason Greenlobster gets a month? What exactly is he pulling down each month in taxpayers' dollars? Sounds like a lot, doesn't it, if he can do everything he wants and doesn't have to pay.

http://www.policymic...aux-documentary

He reports receiving benefits of $200 a month, which works out to $6.66 a day, or $2.22. And since that the cost of living in San Diego is the ninth highest in the nation, it seems highly improbable that Greenslate is really living the life he says he is based on food stamps alone.
This sensationalized story represents a dishonest attempt to portray food stamp recipients as lazy and deceitful. It distracts from the serious plights of the 78 million Americans who don't have secure access to food. SNAP has been invaluable, keeping 4.7 million people out of poverty in 2011, but the reality is that it doesn't go far enough. The average monthly benefit provides a paltry $1.50 per meal, and nearly one third of food-insecure individuals are not eligible for any federal food assistance at all. Before demonizing the needy, Fox and its affiliates should start looking at the numbers and get the story right.

So he has everything he needs for $200 a month? We're supposed to believe that this guy is living like a king on taxpayer money?

Something smells fishy here, and it ain't just lobster.

I don't care how much, per day, he gets. He doesn't deserve a single cent. I would much rather take his $200 dollars a month, along with all those others who just like Greenslate, and add it to the amounts of others who truly do need the help. In other words, if a person who really needs the help, is bringing in the same amount as Greenslate: $200 dollars a month. I would rather take Greenslate's $200, and give it to that other person who really needs it, and let that other person get $400. a month instead.

And the fact that the agency responsible for handing out the $200 hasn't cut someone like Greenslate off the program only proves that they don't mind people like Greenslate gaming the system.

#55 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

And then what happens to him LotS? Are you willing to see him starve to death if he can't find a job in the time it takes to actually die? And what about water? Is he supposed to drink out of lakes and ponds and die of infection? If he doesn't have access to a source of water he has to find a job in three days or so or he'll die.

That's what gets me about people whining about food stamps and UK equivalents... these people are at the end of the line. They have nothing. If they aren't given food they'll either die in a nation where food is plentiful or turn to crime to survive.

Edited by Mikoto, 15 March 2014 - 11:34 AM.

Rejected and gone.

#56 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

This boils down to the same left/right argument - with the left saying it's better to deal with these social ills on the front end and the right going, "ah, f*** 'em," which results in society dealing with these things on the BACK end, where it is much more expensive.  The right is still hung up on WHETHER we as a society should have a social safety net so it's harder to get to the conversation about what is the most efficient, cost-effective way to administrate it.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#57 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 15 March 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

This boils down to the same left/right argument - with the left saying it's better to deal with these social ills on the front end and the right going, "ah, f*** 'em," which results in society dealing with these things on the BACK end, where it is much more expensive.  The right is still hung up on WHETHER we as a society should have a social safety net so it's harder to get to the conversation about what is the most efficient, cost-effective way to administrate it.

Bingo!  As I said before, the state has a compelling interest in taking care of food needs in our country.  Compelling meaning, saving money before the starving, dying and/or destitute hit the hospitals, jails or your front lawn.  Pay a dollar now, or pay 10,000 later.  You don't have to be a person who actually cares about these people to do the math.  

Of course, some of us can do the math and CARE at the same time.

Source:

#58 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostMikoto, on 15 March 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

And then what happens to him LotS? Are you willing to see him starve to death if he can't find a job in the time it takes to actually die? And what about water? Is he supposed to drink out of lakes and ponds and die of infection? If he doesn't have access to a source of water he has to find a job in three days or so or he'll die.

That's what gets me about people whining about food stamps and UK equivalents... these people are at the end of the line. They have nothing. If they aren't given food they'll either die in a nation where food is plentiful or turn to crime to survive.

Personally speaking, I have a problem with people who keep taking advantage of a system like this when an offer to better themselves is handed to them and they refuse because they would rather get something for free.  Using this guy as an example... okay, assuming that he is given the truck driving job and the required licenses and passes those exams, he can start with that North Dakota job and get some practical experience as a truck driver.  After some time, if he likes, he can find a similar job back in an area more local to San Diego.  Having a CDL opens up a LOT if possibilities for you.  I was in the process of getting one at my previous job before I lost that one.  My life would have been a lot easier these last 3 years, financially and physically speaking, if I was able to finish getting it.  He basically wants his cake and eat it too, and life doesn't work like that.

And he can still work with his band on the side... he just has to do what everyone else has to do.  Take care of his responsibilities first and then use the rest of his time for whatever his passion is.

#59 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

:D  Stewart ticked off Fox News by mocking their efforts to paint "millions" of SNAP recipients as bums like Jason Greenlobster. And they did. Look at the video where he mocks them again, this time for "schooling" him:

http://www.washingto...ment-obsession/

#60 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 15 March 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

And he can still work with his band on the side...
How would that work, his band being in San Diego and his trucker job being not?
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SNAP, Food Stamps, The Daily Show, 2014, Fox News, Media, Jon Stewart

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users