National Debt Economics 2014 Finance

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

It's a bit out there, and it will NEVER, EVER, happen...but if they did this, IMO, we could clear the National Debt in no time flat.

You take all the members of Congress, and one by one, you put them in the UFC Octagon and let them fight their counter parts. And then you charge like $100.00 to watch per fight. Also, when that's done, you take all the MSNBC anchors, and put them in the UFC Octagon with their Foxnews counterparts. Charge $150.00 to watch those fights. The National Debt would be paid off within a year. LOL.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,036 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

*LOL* So let's see, 535 congresspeople, giving (assuming the longest possible single-elimination tournament) at most 535 fights. Most of the profits will be from live attendees. Biggest stadium in the world is 250,000 people.
https://en.wikipedia...ums_by_capacity
So that's 250,000 x 535 x $100 = $13.4 billion dollars. So we're off by three orders of magnitude. Of course, then you're pulling $13.4b from the economy, which makes tax receipts lower...

But then, afterwards you don't have Congress. So maybe it pays for itself!

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Love the idea!

Hell, add in Pay Per View, and just from the U.S. you'll get billions of dollars if you even charge just $50 for each fight.  And I'm certain MANY people around the world will want to check out every one of those fights, so that's billions more, particularly if you want to add a charge for viewing outside the country.  I guarantee we kill over a trillion of our debt.

Then we can move on to the senators... rinse and repeat.  Another trillion wiped off our debt.  Add their salaries altogether and we just might pull off erasing our debt in less than 5 years.

Or how about this... instead of all of them fighting each other, they each become runners in a RUNNING MAN like game.  That would likely generate even more money, because you throw in advertisement dollars for each of those running games.  THAT will erase our debt in two years!

Edited by FarscapeOne, 06 March 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

You guys realize that the National Debt is Trillions of dollars, right?  Even with pay-per-view you would never touch it, I'm sure that that is President Obama's fault somehow.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Not entirely his fault, but he has been a big contributor.  So was little Bush.

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

And I know it won't get rid of it, but it will make a dent, which is more than can be said for probably longer than I've been alive.

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Seriously. I don't watch UFC but I would think that those guys are ripped and buff

Most (not all but most) Senators and Congress persons are not ripped or buff or young.  Not being age biaed but I don't want to watch seniors battling it out.

So count me out.  I have better places to put that money....like feeding my family.  No money to throw away

Though I can't say that I would  be against seeing a certain Senator from my home state get the snot beat out of him in such an event.  (especially when he's been running his mouth again) ;)   I might squeeze the budget a lot tighter to pay for such an event but only for him.  Can you tell he's pissed me off?

The truth is that if people thought less about 'me me ME' and more about 'We" when it comes to the national debt, it would not be such a problem.  Everyone wants someone else to make the necessary sacrifice but are not wanting to give up anything themselves.

Edited by Tricia, 06 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostBalderdash, on 06 March 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

You guys realize that the National Debt is Trillions of dollars, right?

Yep. More than 17 of those trillions, And China owns almost all of it.

Anyway, for those of you that might not be aware, check this out.

#9 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

http://www.factcheck...holds-our-debt/
Posted Image

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Does that make Social Security's share twice almost all?   ;)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostOmega, on 17 March 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

MMMKay.  Maybe I should've added AFAIK after "China owns almost all of it.  Just going by what I've heard. :)

Augment:  You got a more recent pie chart?

Edited by Datalyss, 17 March 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#12 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 06 March 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

It's a bit out there, and it will NEVER, EVER, happen...but if they did this, IMO, we could clear the National Debt in no time flat.

You take all the members of Congress, and one by one, you put them in the UFC Octagon and let them fight their counter parts. And then you charge like $100.00 to watch per fight. Also, when that's done, you take all the MSNBC anchors, and put them in the UFC Octagon with their Foxnews counterparts. Charge $150.00 to watch those fights. The National Debt would be paid off within a year. LOL.

You might find the following bit of info from http://www.newsmax.c...3/12/id/559167/ of interest.

As a nation, we currently are carrying a national debt of $17.5 trillion. If we repaid it at a rate of $10 million per day, seven days a week, 365 days per year, it would take 4,700 years to repay.

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 06 March 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

And I know it won't get rid of it, but it will make a dent, which is more than can be said for probably longer than I've been alive.
That statement couldn't be more wrong. Some very basic math incoming.

1 trillion = 1000 billion. The national debt is approximately $17.5 trillion. That's 17,500 billion. The proposed solution in this thread, assuming that the national debt remains as it currently is without interest or additional spending, would drop the debt to about 17,486 billion. That's a 0.08% drop in the total. In 2013, the interest on the national debt was $415,688,781,248.40. For reference, the debt was approximately $17.3 trillion at the end of the year.

https://www.treasury.../ir_expense.htm

In order for the national debt to drop, we would need to spend significantly more than the yearly interest to actually lower the amount we owe. While this is an over-simplification, the overall interest in 2013 works out to about 2.40%. Multiply the amount earned by this solution by about 30 and the interest from 2013 would be covered.

It wouldn't even come close to making a dent. In fact, this solution would do absolutely nothing at all to impact the national debt.

Edit: Fixed a few numbers to more accurately reflect the debt at the end of 2013.

Edited by NeuralClone, 17 March 2014 - 04:29 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#14 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

You all do realize that this whole idea and thread is just a "wishful thinking/let's have fun with a crazy idea" subject, right?

You are all taking this way too seriously.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 17 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 17 March 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

You all do realize that this whole idea and thread is just a "wishful thinking/let's have fun with a crazy idea" subject, right?

Yes, this is a crazy thread full of crazy statements. I was responding to one of them. You might as well have said that you can walk to the moon in a few minutes.

We're taking this seriously because the national debt is actually a very serious problem.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#16 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 17 March 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

I think that this is the first time I've ever been included in an OT "way too seriously" group!  Wow!   :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

My idea for paying off the national debt.
Spend less than you earn
Be frugal
Pay it off piece by piece.

I know, too easy right?

You want to know my amazing two step weight loss program? Eat healthier and exercise more.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: National Debt, Economics, 2014, Finance

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users