#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Spoilers

1900026_665702143491392_125302427_n.jpg

Lorelei comes to earth and Sif is set to get her back.

Edited by DWF, 11 March 2014 - 07:36 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hurmmm ... well this was something of a let down.

Once again I couldn't buy into the threat ... partly because of the casting of Lorelei.  Here we had a generically attractive girl who really lacked the expressive voice to convince me that men would immediately fall under her spell.  Had they cast the likes of Jeri Ryan, Tricia Helfer, Claudia Black, or Eva Green, any one of them would have been better as Lorelei.

Then, there was the disjointed nature of the story with everyone off in their own corner doing their thing.  It's like they were setting things up, to set things up for the final confrontation, which really slowed down the narrative.  Not to mention the blatant set-up of stuff that we wouldn't see the pay-off on in this episode.  Oh, yes, of course we have the special guest appearance of Sif, and the complementary exposition.

Most of the character beats just fell flat.  Ward comes across as stiff, even when enthralled by Lorelei.  Malinda May comes across as cold and stiff.  Coulson's personal quest feels a mite too self-indulgent and out of character for him.  The only good part of this was Simmons keeping Skye in recovery as she tries to determine just what it was they used to save Skye's life, and being frustrated by Coulson's denying her access to SHIELD resources; and Fitz actually pointing out to Simmons that Skye does have a point.

The only point where the episode really worked was the climax on the plane, with the guys against the girls + Coulson; and then it falls apart in the snap with Coulson's talk to Skye and the "shocking conclusion".

Again, much of the character beats just didn't work, and the episode felt like it was working too hard to tell a not particularly interesting story, while being overly self-conscious of tying things back into the movies.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 12 March 2014 - 07:25 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Well truthfully it's Lorelei's magic that enthralls men not her real voice, the sword fight between Lorelei and Sif I thought was well done Jamie Alexander is a fairly active and tough performer. And I really iked how they matched up the visual effects to the movies and the general movie references, I also like seeing Sif having some attention and some good action scenes. That said it's a fairly typical television plotline.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

^^^ Yeah, I recognize that.  However, given the nature of TV it has to be sold to the audience, and the actress that they got couldn't sell it to me.  Even putting in magical sparkly SPFX to indicate that she's weaving a spell wouldn't be enough to off-set that actress' blandness.

That was why I was saying they needed an actress who had the innate sultriness one would expect in a siren, along with the voice that could cause men to become flustered and forget themselves.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Fitz continues to be the best thing about the show, consistently IMO - his chemistry with Ward in second place.  Loved when Ward clapped him on the back, and you could tell from his reaction that Fitz had clapped him back at least twice as hard.  (OMG, subtext?  On this show?)  Also loved how Fitz forgave Coulson for slugging him.  He is the breakout should they choose to run with him… and IMO, they should.

The good is that it appropriates the Loki's scepter trope from The Avengers - the not as good is that it doesn't have nearly enough FUN with it.  It was far too deep into the episode when Lorelai finally converted Ward.  I wonder if that didn't happen up front because it would have been too obvious they were pulling a Hawkeye with him.  That said, when all the boys are fighting all the girls on the bus at the end - that was promising near-lunacy and made me think the episode would have been more interesting as a bottle show.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

^^^ Exactly my point, they spent a lot of time setting the stage to set the stage for the conflict.

Heck, had they opened with the boys vs. girls scenario on the Bus, and then unfolded the narrative in a non-linear fashion -- it would've been a far more engaging episode.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 12 March 2014 - 09:52 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Simmons is hte find of the show for me and she's consistly evolving, I liked how she stood up to Coulson about the use of the drug. As for Lorelei's power being similar to Loki's staff in the first Avengers movie, that's all she's got really and it is her power not something she picked up from somebody else. The actress who played her isn't very tall and commanding, but then she always kind of played second fiddle to Amora her big sister. This ep. might've better during a sweeps month though.

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Sweeps?  Not really.  As I've said, the episode was badly put together and too slow paced.

And Lorelei, they really needed someone else cast, given how she was written; or if they wanted to go the "girl next door" look (say Kristen Bell, Brittany Snow, or Autumn Reeser) and voice, they should've written her as coming across as a damsel in distress that men simply want to protect, and that's how she ensnares them.

Consequently, it'd be that much more shocking when she reveals her true colors and is fighting Sif to a stalemate.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

This episode marks the first mention of the Kree.  What were the other possibilities for blue aliens that Sif mentioned?

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Smurfs?
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

:).

Looks like Kree or Centaurian are the best bets...  

http://comicbook.com...ed-by-lady-sif/

#12 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostG-man, on 12 March 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Sweeps?  Not really.  As I've said, the episode was badly put together and too slow paced.

And Lorelei, they really needed someone else cast, given how she was written; or if they wanted to go the "girl next door" look (say Kristen Bell, Brittany Snow, or Autumn Reeser) and voice, they should've written her as coming across as a damsel in distress that men simply want to protect, and that's how she ensnares them.

Consequently, it'd be that much more shocking when she reveals her true colors and is fighting Sif to a stalemate.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Yes a a sweeps month, Feb. is a sweeps month Sif is a major guest star and they could've promoted the Thor: The Dark World DVD, but given Agents Of SHIELD's low ratings they dare not put anyting new against the Olympics. Actaully I thought the pace was rather fast, there was little in the way of other storylines to tell and plenty of action scenes and visaul effects.

Edited by DWF, 12 March 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Wierd double post.

Edited by DWF, 12 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

There were other fun little links to the larger MCU in the ep.  Coulson is told that he can't get a hold of Fury because the Director is "off-grid."  In the commercials for Cap2, we see Fury hollering "get me off grid!" just before his SUV gets bombed.

Sif says that Lorelei got to Earth via one of "Loki's secret passages between worlds" and says Odin (read: Loki) ordered her to take Lorelei alive.  They could have had more fun with that - if Loki sent her there AND sent Sif after her, what was the point?  Did he hope that Lorelei would kill off Sif?  She and the Warriors would be the most likely to find him out...

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

I doubt there's an actual point beyond trying to promote other Marvel products, and doing an absolutely terrible job in the process. Besides, having fun with tie-ins isn't what this show is about. It's about pretending it's a big, important member of the MCU when absolutely nothing of importance ever actually happens on it. Big things can only happen in the movies.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostDWF, on 12 March 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

View PostG-man, on 12 March 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Yes a a sweeps month, Feb. is a sweeps month Sif is a major guest star and they could've promoted the Thor: The Dark World DVD, but given Agents Of SHIELD's low ratings they dare not put anyting new against the Olympics. Actaully I thought the pace was rather fast, there was little in the way of other storylines to tell and plenty of action scenes and visaul effects.

:blink: :blink:

Alrighty then, obviously YMMV.  

I saw any number of plotlines that they sought to braid together in this episode:

The whole Coulson's search for the Truth, and keeping his discoveries out of the hands of SHIELD was a major subplot.  Whose side is Melinda May really on? and what will SHIELD do should Coulson go too far?

Skye's recovery, and Simmons search for a solution as to what it was they had injected into her was also a subplot.  Will her frustrations with Coulson over this matter lead her to turn on him?

There was the whole Ward-May-ship angle, that took a major hit thanks to the main plotline.  Was this simply a fling as May would have it, or did Ward believe there was something more?  Will they get back together, or was this well and truly the end?

(Stay tuned, True Believer, for the answers!)

Then we had the whole Sif-Lorelei storyline that they so clumsily hung those plot points on.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

^^  I got the impression that it was May who was the more serious, despite her claims.

View PostBklnScott, on 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

and says Odin (read: Loki) ordered her to take Lorelei alive.  
I don't understand.  Is Loki impersonating Odin in the movies?

Well, I have to admit that this is the first episode that didn't thrill me too much. The "battle of the sexes" dragged it down to the level of a bad 50s sitcom. It's embarrassing to hear a grown woman say something like, "I'm not saying you're weak, I'm saying men are weak." And to add to that, neither Lorelei nor Sif were very compelling characters. It was sad to see Sif re-imagined as a generic angry warrior.

It was even short on cool character moments, which is always the best part of SHIELD, although there were a few. Fitz slapping Ward on the back, Simmons' comment about Skye's accent, Coulson casually asking Sif about blue-skinned aliens. And the casual mention that May was not who Ward was thinking about-- we're supposed to think it was Skye, but I wonder. And, of course, there was the big conversation between Coulson and Skye. "I know nothing fazes you, but this should faze you." "You had the treatment months ago and you haven't grown a tail or anything." I loved the look on his face-- he's usually the one handing out perspective, but he got it from someone else for a change.

I was a little put off by his "make him pay" statement. Seemed a little over the top. And if he's talking about Fury, does that mean Fury will play a major part in an upcoming episode?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#18 innocentone

innocentone

Here to the next generation

• Forever Missed
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Okay I will admit I just saw Thor the dark world this weekend, and I was looking forward to see the lady Sif come to agents.  I truly enjoyed it.  I was not let down by either ladies.   Woman Warriors is the way to go.  Lol!!!

#19 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 12 March 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

^^  I got the impression that it was May who was the more serious, despite her claims.

View PostBklnScott, on 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

and says Odin (read: Loki) ordered her to take Lorelei alive.  
I don't understand.  Is Loki impersonating Odin in the movies?

Yes.  That was the twist at the end of Thor 2.  Thor refuses the throne of Asgard and goes to live on Earth with Jane Foster.  Odin reluctantly accepts this and you think, "Oh, he's getting soft in his old age."  Then we see that it's Loki.  We don't know what he did with Odin. So it was actually Loki who sent Sif to retrieve Lorelei - alive.

I was a little put off by his "make him pay" statement. Seemed a little over the top. And if he's talking about Fury, does that mean Fury will play a major part in an upcoming episode?

I thought he meant the Clairvoyant (?)  The next episode is a big showdown with him, apparently.  That said, Fury's return seems likely, doesn't it? The way they've chosen to write it (and they didn't have to do it this way), it all boils down to - What did Fury do to him and why did he lie about it? Seems like they need Sam Jackson for that scene, doesn't it?  

I suspect the end of the next episode (airing April 1) leads directly into Cap2 (opens April 4).  The one after that, airing April 8, is called "Turn Turn Turn," suggesting a major change to the status quo post-Cap2 for the last half-dozen episodes of the season.  Whatever the deal is with that blue guy, surely it ties into Guardians - meaning the last episodes of the season will probably end up doing some alien stuff to tease that movie. As NC points out, that's what the show is - and why it is getting a second season for sure - but that doesn't mean it can't be good within that framework. Obviously, season 2 will be one long slow-boil toward Avengers 2. Hope it's a good one!

Edited by BklnScott, 12 March 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,105 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Coulson pointed at Skye's midsection, where she was shot, and said that the first step they'd take would be to find the person who did "this" and make him pay. I take that to mean hunting down either Mike Peterson/Deathlok or the Clairvoyant, or both.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users