• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

I have always enjoyed one time a year promoting my affinity with the Irish, and clasp hands and lounge in their culture and heritage
;)
now I am not Irish :o but I believe one great great aunt or something was like 1/4 Irish, so I have this small percentage but not much to really speak of it; though my Celtic... I am massively Scottish on both sides, lowland borderers of lower Tweed and Roxburghshire, plus hee-lands of Trossachs and the lochs.
;)
and they came from Ulster! yes, my people came up in that land known as Alba, Alban, like Dalriada type thing, the western mainland over there by those barrier islands, not far from Glasgow, up in those hee-lands up above there on down to the lower shores, think of places like Bute, Loch Fyne, Oban, and Argyle forest. Way back, they came from 'over there' like Derry or Antrim. They conquered lands and intermarried with Picts; romans called them Scoti.

And so this time each year I dont go overboard, I dont yell out that I am from long generations of family rooted in Galway or the green parts of Boston, or Chicago. But I do wear this little green clover pin and on the one day make sure I have on a green shirt
:o

to get anyone who might be interested in getting interested, to be interested, here see this lil thing, some pics, like young girls dancing that Irish dance stuff in the streets with green things stuck on their faces, hey those type photos
;)

http://www.cnn.com/2...-day/index.html

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Cool! :)

I look so Irish that Irish people usually comment on it. Once I walked out of a ladies room as an Irish woman was walking in and she literally stopped in her tracks and said, "You look more Irish than I do!" When I was over there many years ago, the Irish would stop me on the street to ask for directions, greet me in Gaelic, etc. I left a lot of befuddled Irish folks in my wake. :D

My ancestors came over from Dublin in the 1700s--some anyway. Others came from Scotland and Northern England. But my phenotype is apparently 1000% Celt.

Edited by Spectacles, 15 March 2014 - 10:56 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostSpectacles, on 15 March 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

My ancestors came over from Dublin in the 1700s--some anyway. Others came from Scotland and Northern England. But my phenotype is apparently 1000% Celt.

One-thousand percent? Typo or joke? ;) My dad's family is of Irish stock. Not sure how far back they crossed the pond.

I always joke that I wonder why the Irish put St Paddy's day where they did, considering it is in the middle of Lent ;)

But maybe even the strict practicing Irish Roman Catholics needed an excuse to let loose for a spell ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: march, St. Patrick's Day, Holidays, Ireland, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users