41 replies to this topic

#41 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostAnakam, on 12 June 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

re: cargo containers, I forget what the stats are but in the past I was under the impression that only a small percentage were adequately inspected.

This. Ships usually only get stopped and searched in the open water prior to entry into the harbor if somehing is deemed "unusual" about it. Far too many ships go in and out every day to search every one. Basically, 90% of what you buy that is imported from outside the US comes in through the port of LA.

It would be fairly easy to slip on a ship with a device, and as it enters into the mouth of the port to set it off. It would not only destroy all the infrastructure, it would block entry into the harbor for every other ship, rendering it useless untill they can clean it up. Which might be a long time if its radioactive.

#42 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

^Good, I'm not imagining things.  I think the 'bomb on a ship at/near a harbor' scenario gets tossed around occasionally.  Sometimes as a reason all ships should be inspected, though I can't see that happening any time soon.  I'm not sure how our inspection rates compare to other countries.

AFAIK there isn't anything particularly new going on with the search--I think the next, longer search phase might be scheduled to start in August?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Malaysian missing 777, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users