• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

http://nation.foxnew...ontrol-internet

You know...I've just about had it with Obama's BS. I really have. I'm also actually starting to have serious doubts about whether or not Obama really does have America's best interest at heart. I really am. Whoever the next President in office is will wind up having to spend their first term reversing every disaster Obama has done.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

:o

http://mediamatters....-the-int/198502

;)

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 March 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

http://nation.foxnew...ontrol-internet

You know...I've just about had it with Obama's BS. I really have. I'm also actually starting to have serious doubts about whether or not Obama really does have America's best interest at heart. I really am. Whoever the next President in office is will wind up having to spend their first term reversing every disaster Obama has done.

Do you EVER get tired of being duped?  You're all outraged and there is no there there.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

:howling:
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

Whoever the next President in office is will wind up having to spend their first term reversing every disaster Obama has done.
Imagine that!  Wait, don't have to.  It would be easier, though, without an obstructionist Congress.

Edited by Nonny, 16 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

Whoever the next President in office is will wind up having to spend their first term reversing every disaster Obama has done.

How quickly people forget.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#8 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

POPULAR

Wait, so the latest outrageous outrage is that evil dictator Obama, who sent the NSA to snoop into each and every American's Internet history, is conspiring to arrange less government control over the Internet? How dare he!

Edited by Dev F, 16 March 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostDev F, on 16 March 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Wait, so the latest outrageous outrage is that evil dictator Obama, who sent the NSA to snoop into each and every American's Internet history, is conspiring to arrange less government control over the Internet? How dare he!

I'm not crazy about US government control over the internet, but the one thing worse that having the US control it...is giving that control over to foreign governments...Some of whom have their citizens shouting in the streets: "Death to America." Not exactly the kind of people I want controlling our internet.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Good lord. Read this: http://www.ntia.doc....-name-functions

And stop believing everything you hear on Fox News. It's getting embarrassing.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 16 March 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm not crazy about US government control over the internet, but the one thing worse that having the US control it...is giving that control over to foreign governments...Some of whom have their citizens shouting in the streets: "Death to America." Not exactly the kind of people I want controlling our internet.
What in the world are you talking about? Do a little bit of research about ICANN and how the Internet is managed before jumping into rants about things you don't know anything about.

Here's a good place to start:
https://www.icann.org/
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 16 March 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

While normally my status as a non-American is a footnote to my thoughts regarding issues, in this case it's rather more central.

The US goverment has on several occasions tried and on several occasions succeeded in influencing or directing ICANN policy. The one everyone heard about was the creation of the .xxx top level domain, but there have been others. In that case when it went to arbitration, even the arbiters agreed that the GAC had violated ICANN's neutrality policy towards the internet.

I know it's hard to give up on something that you think of as 'yours', but here's the news flash. The Internet does not belong to the United States anymore, and nor should ICANN.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Mark: Ah, but the U.S. had it for long enough to establish the really imporatant domains for themselves. I doubt we're losing or giving up anything of consequence now that the important stuff is already established. ;)
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#14 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I had no idea about any of this, so I read the article and did a little bit of fact-finding. The Fox News article title is inaccurate and gives the wrong impression on several levels.

That being said, Gode already summed up how I feel. The Internet shouldn't 'belong' to any one country. I'm not even sure if it ever did. The rest of the world is under no obligation to follow any rule the US sets.
Rejected and gone.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

View PostMikoto, on 16 March 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

The Internet shouldn't 'belong' to any one country. I'm not even sure if it ever did.
I agree with the first statement. The second statement is definitely debatable. Regardless, it certainly isn't true in 2014 and the way Fox makes it sound like the US government is "giving up control" of it is downright laughable.

The rest of the world is under no obligation to follow any rule the US sets.
No, the world is under no obligation to follow any rule the US sets but it is under obligation to follow what ICANN sets if countries want to be part of the global Internet. Failure to do so will result in them not being able to connect.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internet, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users