23 replies to this topic

#21 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:47 PM

AS a complete and utter aside,

anyone else see the topic and get reminded of the debate between O'Neil and carter on calling their ship the 'prometheus'?  :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#22 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Tennyson!   I'd forgotten about NERVA and although I was aware of some research into xenon ion drives, I didn't have that much detail on it (just not enough time in the day to research every little thing I want to learn).

--Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#23 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 07:58 AM

You're welcome Corwin. NASA has a project office in Pittsburgh, about 70 miles from where I am , that's tasked with developing the next generation of ion drive. As far as I could tell during thier talk at my university and from what I've read Xenon seems to be the ion drive fuel of choice, finding its way on Deep Space One and pretty much all of the proposed near future missions.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#24 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:44 PM

Prometheus as proposed is a nuclear electric propulsion, as Tennyson described, not nuclear thermal propulsion (as some may have speculated). Specifically Prometheus uses a nuclear reactor (two actually) powering a whole lot of ion thrusters.

For those concerned with safety, the nuclear reactors will be relatively low temperature using uranium. This makes it much safer in the event of a catastrophic launch failure than a plutonium core. The reactor wouldn't even be powered up until on orbit.

Once in space the radiation levels are not that high, although the electronics are kept at the other end of the ship. But the Van Allen belt of radiation around Jupiter is orders of magnitude higher than the radiation from the reactor and a significantly greater concern.

Paul

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users