Proposal: 2 + 2 does not equal 4

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:44 AM

I awoke at 2:22am. I remember because I looked at the clock radio, and that's pretty easy to remember. My first thought was 2 + 2 does not equal 4.

I don't know if it came to me in a dream, or was just something my subconscious had been working on in the background for years and suddenly decided to spit out. Either way, the thought persisted. 2 + 2 does not equal 4.

My reasoning was that only in pure theoretical mathematics do we have something without entropy. Nowhere in the actual universe can you add two of one thing to two of another thing without expending some energy. Something is lost. 2 + 2 = 3.9999999999999

I was curious what someone else might think of this strange 2:22am thought, so, I posted it here.

This is my first post. Hello :)

- Hambil

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:40 AM

Welcome Hambil

in pure mathematics, 2+2 doesn't have to actually make 4

You see 1.5 rounded up is 2 for purposes of presentation, but when calculating with it it is still 1.5

so '2' plus '2' can be three, as long as you are willing to accept that the number presented doesn't have to be exactly that number.

And yes, in the curent universe every increas of something costs energy. SO you are probably right in your theory, but i have no way of proving it

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:06 AM

It depends on what physical thing you're measuring. If it's the energy you could get from some kind of chemical reaction or the time the reaction would take if you doubled all the ingredients, maybe so. But two apples plus two apples is still always four apples, with just as much energy as they contained before; the energy your arm uses to put them together doesn't take anything away from them. MOST things in the universe are like this.

#4 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:45 AM

Godeskian, on Feb. 06 2003,05:40, said:

in pure mathematics, 2+2 doesn't have to actually make 4

You see 1.5 rounded up is 2 for purposes of presentation, but when calculating with it it is still 1.5
That's not "pure mathematics", that's engineering! :p

In pure math, 2 is 2.  If it was 1.5, you'd use 1.5.

Engineering, and other disciplines making use of math, do use a lot of approximation.

I did a math degree at a school with a big Engineering faculty, and one of the running Engineer jokes was "2 + 2 = 5, for large values of 2".  The funny thing was that while the Mathies laughed at it, the Engineers believed it. :)

Rhys, BMath

"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#5 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:22 PM

Well, as this turns to a "pure mathematics against all others" thread, I would like to add, from a physicists point of view, that Delvo's apple theorem is only valid when the apples are spherical  ;)
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:10 PM

Now you see, I could argue it either way...depending on who wanted to pay me the bigger retainer.....;)

Welcome to Ex Isle Hambil!

Posted Image

#7 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:45 PM

Enmar, on Feb. 06 2003,12:22, said:

Well, as this turns to a "pure mathematics against all others" thread, I would like to add, from a physicists point of view, that Delvo's apple theorem is only valid when the apples are spherical  ;)
Does this somehow apply to spherical cows?

--Jon, idly wondering where Anarch is...

;) ;) ;)

"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#8 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:57 PM

Delvo, on Feb. 06 2003,15:06, said:

But two apples plus two apples is still always four apples, with just as much energy as they contained before; the energy your arm uses to put them together doesn't take anything away from them. MOST things in the universe are like this.
How many atoms did those apples lose while being picked up and moved? Even if they weren't physically touched (which would certainly cause the loss of billions of atoms) then they aged. Everything ages.  ???

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,872 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 09:14 AM

Hambil, on Feb. 07 2003,00:57, said:

How many atoms did those apples lose while being picked up and moved? Even if they weren't physically touched (which would certainly cause the loss of billions of atoms) then they aged. Everything ages.
Ahh, but every apple has a different number of atoms, so you can't define a unit apple by a fixed number of atoms.

We all have hairs and skin cells fall off of us every day, so is any one of us becoming less than one person in the process?

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:43 AM

Rhys, on Feb. 06 2003,08:45, said:

That's not "pure mathematics", that's engineering! :p
Having once worked with a crowd of engineers, just let me take a moment to say ROTFLMAO!  :devil:  :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:50 PM

LOL, I am no Mathmetician (far from), but I love the thought. :)

LOL @ Lil

LOL @ Jon, you read my mind.

Welcome Hambil. :D
Here, have a WelcomeToTheIsleOfInsanity Sparky.

Anja II

Edited by Scatha Arzetyn, 17 February 2003 - 11:27 PM.

Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#12 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:27 PM

I think I could even argue a way for 2 + 2 to equal 2. But I'm not so sure I would even be able to follow that reasoning. Either way, I'm going to give it a try.  Theoratically, 1.5 is 2, just because when you want to get a good grade you tell the teacher you got half wrong instead of 1 wrong. Whoever made the rule of rounding up from 1/2's, might have made it wrong. You could say that 1.5 = 1 just as much as it equals 2. Therefore, 2 + 2 = 2.  Did you follow that? Just wondering because I'm not even sure if I did.
Shiney Happy Pod Person #90

Lets see if I can get this....

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#13 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:31 PM

^I follow you're reasoning.

And I love the idea; even if the accurateness of the statement is debatable.

Anja II :)

Edited because I missed an important sentence.

Edited by Scatha Arzetyn, 17 February 2003 - 11:36 PM.

#14 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:41 PM

Glad you love it. Accuratness? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is debatable. Maybe we should have a poll?

~~~Gina

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#15 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:48 AM

I love paradoxes & twists like that.  :)

Well, we've had a poll for just about everything else as of late. :lol:

Anja II
Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#16 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:06 AM

Thats true. Maybe I'll have to go start one. 2 + 2 = 2.......

#17 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:44 AM

Christopher, on Feb 12 2003, 06:16 AM, said:

Ahh, but every apple has a different number of atoms, so you can't define a unit apple by a fixed number of atoms.

We all have hairs and skin cells fall off of us every day, so is any one of us becoming less than one person in the process?
But again, you are talking in the abstract. One "apple" or one "person". Math works just fine in the abstract. Buy as far as we know, adding anything together in the real world causes change. Chemical or atomic reations, changes in localized gravity, magnetic fields, etc. All these changes require energy, some of which inevitably comes from the things being added - even if the influencing force is external (such as a catalyst or a physical force).

It is this expenditure of energy that to which I refer. It is what makes 2 + 2 = 3.999999~  :blink:

- Hambil

#18 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:49 AM

Scatha Arzetyn, on Feb 17 2003, 11:50 PM, said:

I love paradoxes & twists like that.  :)

Well, we've had a poll for just about everything else as of late. :lol:

Anja II
Democracy, how quaint ;)

Are you familiar with the Alabama Pi ?

http://www.nmsr.org/alabama.htm
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users