34 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Spoilers

Coulson races to save the love of his life.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm disappointed that we didn't get the chance to see Clark Gregg and Amy Acker playing off each other. They barely interacted. Hopefully this isn't the last we'll see of Audrey.

So Triplett is the grandson of a Howling Commando? Presumably Gabe Jones. That makes me even more confident that he's going to be a regular. They wouldn't give a pedigree like that to someone they didn't plan to keep around.

Anyone catch the spelling of May's middle name on closed captioning? It was definitely Chinese, but I couldn't quite make it out. And I assume the woman who picked her up in the car is her mother.

I felt Skye handled things well once she figured out the truth about Ward. I liked it that she figured out the purpose of the penny (Ward put it atop the door so he'd know whether the door had been opened) and put it back. I hope she has a plan for dealing with him, though. We saw her looking speculatively at one of the "windows" projecting outside views. I bet she hacked it to display a message for the others after a certain time, something like WARD IS HYDRA -- KILLED KOENIG.

I liked Coulson's sarcastic line about how if Bruce Banner invented the tech, it was bound to work without a hitch.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Given the guy's dark powers they should've made him one of the Lightner family, since Coulson was assigned to the Pegasus project at the start of the Avengers movie. But really only thing that happened in this one was that Coulson relaized he was wrong to attack May the way he did, which wa a big admission for him actually. And Fritz is clearly now jealous of Triplett much as he was of Ward, it kind of weakens him as a character and he's unable to confront his feelings for Simmons for that matter.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

I thought it was a good ep. Those that had been complaining about Skye's character and the actresses' abilities were given reason to re-think those opinions. I thought that she played the role great. The shock and fear seemed real, as did the panic when she realized what that meant and that she needed to calm the flip down, or else she was dead too. Hope she was able to get a weapon.

And Fritz is clearly now jealous of Triplett much as he was of Ward, it kind of weakens him as a character and he's unable to confront his feelings for Simmons for that matter

So what's going to happen when
Spoiler

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Is that an actual spoiler or your speculation?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

OK, I had been thinking that May was a coward, prone to run away when things got emotionally difficult, and this pretty much supports my thinking.  I'd think that May, knowing Coulson, would have anticipated that he'd react badly to her revelations (no one appreciates being played) and also that he'd eventually understand and forgive.  But, instead, once things turned sour she opted to run instead of sticking with the team.  I can't say that it speaks well of her that the ONLY reason she was with the team was her relationship with Coulson.

Now, Fitz ... yeah, he's in love with Simmons, and like most talented introverts he really has no clue how to proceed; but he can be resentful when it appears that Simmons is attracted to someone else who's capable of stuff that Fitz isn't.  Now, I think Simmons genuinely cares for Fitz, but whether she has romantic feelings is still open to question, consequently, I think Fitz doesn't want to blow his relationship with her by confessing to feelings that might not be shared.  IOW, this couple's relationship actually feels real.

Skye ... OK, I'm liking her.  That she'd recognized what the penny was for and replaced it, and has nerved herself to deal with Ward after correctly deducing that he was HYDRA all are to her credit.  I still have no idea at how they're going to play this out.

Triplett, yeah, I'm guessing the grandson of Gabe.  They haven't really given him anything to do, but he is a definite presence in the way that Ward wasn't.  Hopefully, he'll become a regular on the team.  Interesting that he picked up on Fitz's annoyance, and I also liked Fitz's explanation that "he doesn't like change," which is probably as close to the truth as Fitz is comfortable confessing.

Oh, yeah, Coulson and the Cellist ... that was nicely handled.  Especially as Fitz and Simmons realize just who this person is whom they're rescuing.  And Coulson's realization through his own actions and rationalizations in dealing with the Cellist that perhaps he had dealt too harshly with May, was nice as well.  At least this particular drama wasn't dragged out, and by my reckoning, it took about as long to resolve (within days) as it would in real life.  There still might be some hard feelings, but now Coulson is ready to work pass them.  Pity May is apparently one of the instant gratification generation.

So, interesting episode ... my attention did drift a bit during it, but at least I managed to hang in to the end.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 April 2014 - 07:07 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostG-man, on 23 April 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

OK, I had been thinking that May was a coward, prone to run away when things got emotionally difficult, and this pretty much supports my thinking.  I'd think that May, knowing Coulson, would have anticipated that he'd react badly to her revelations (no one appreciates being played) and also that he'd eventually understand and forgive.  But, instead, once things turned sour she opted to run instead of sticking with the team.  I can't say that it speaks well of her that the ONLY reason she was with the team was her relationship with Coulson.

She was with the team because she was following her commanding officer's orders. That's what she's trained to do -- it's all she knows. Once that command structure ceased to exist, the only other reason she had to stay with the team was personal loyalty to Coulson -- and Coulson's anger at her led her to conclude that she couldn't help him by staying. She's not "running away" like a jilted teenager -- she's a highly disciplined soldier who's clearly got a plan to do something useful, a plan that entails tracking down Maria Hill. There's more to SHIELD than Coulson, after all. She has other valued comrades in the organization, friends and colleagues whose well-being she has good reason to be concerned for. She wants to make a positive difference and has concluded she can't do so anymore as long as Coulson shuts her out, so she's made the calculated choice to apply her efforts elsewhere.

Now, Fitz ... yeah, he's in love with Simmons, and like most talented introverts he really has no clue how to proceed; but he can be resentful when it appears that Simmons is attracted to someone else who's capable of stuff that Fitz isn't.

Actually what bothered Fitz here was that Triplett was capable of the same stuff as Fitz -- that he already knew the technical stuff Fitz tried to explain, rendering Fitz irrelevant. Fitz could get along with Ward because Ward was just a big dumb grunt (he thought) and that gave Fitz his own way to contribute. But if Triplett can do the stuff Ward did and keep up with the science stuff, that makes him more of a threat to Fitz, both as a team member and as a subject of Simmons's interest.

At least this particular drama wasn't dragged out, and by my reckoning, it took about as long to resolve (within days) as it would in real life.

Actually within less than a day. Remember Garrett's orders to Ward: If you can't win Skye over in 24 hours, just kidnap her and bring her to us.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostChristopher, on 23 April 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

View PostG-man, on 23 April 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

She was with the team because she was following her commanding officer's orders. That's what she's trained to do -- it's all she knows. Once that command structure ceased to exist, the only other reason she had to stay with the team was personal loyalty to Coulson -- and Coulson's anger at her led her to conclude that she couldn't help him by staying. She's not "running away" like a jilted teenager -- she's a highly disciplined soldier who's clearly got a plan to do something useful, a plan that entails tracking down Maria Hill. There's more to SHIELD than Coulson, after all. She has other valued comrades in the organization, friends and colleagues whose well-being she has good reason to be concerned for. She wants to make a positive difference and has concluded she can't do so anymore as long as Coulson shuts her out, so she's made the calculated choice to apply her efforts elsewhere.

At least this particular drama wasn't dragged out, and by my reckoning, it took about as long to resolve (within days) as it would in real life.

Actually within less than a day. Remember Garrett's orders to Ward: If you can't win Skye over in 24 hours, just kidnap her and bring her to us.

Ri-i-ight.

So she was only on the team because she was following orders?  Ummm ... I'd think there was more to it than that.  If she was a friend to Coulson, that she lacked the patience and understanding to give him a day or two to work through his issues with her revelations, choosing instead to take off almost immediately after fixing the bus because he didn't instantly forgive her, to pursue some other agenda ... no, I'm not buying it.

As for her tracking down Maria Hill, was that actually stated in the episode?  I thought she left without giving any reasons, and then joined up with her mom.  That Maria Hill appears in the previews doesn't necessarily mean that she was brought in by May.  Of course, it doesn't mean that she wasn't, given that Koenig's facilities were so secret that SHIELD wasn't generally aware of it, so it would make sense to have May bring her in.  This would facilitate the team kind of getting back together to go after Skye and Ward and the Bus ... as is, it looks as if the team's being scattered to the four winds.

Now, Fitz ... yeah, he's in love with Simmons, and like most talented introverts he really has no clue how to proceed; but he can be resentful when it appears that Simmons is attracted to someone else who's capable of stuff that Fitz isn't.

Actually what bothered Fitz here was that Triplett was capable of the same stuff as Fitz -- that he already knew the technical stuff Fitz tried to explain, rendering Fitz irrelevant. Fitz could get along with Ward because Ward was just a big dumb grunt (he thought) and that gave Fitz his own way to contribute. But if Triplett can do the stuff Ward did and keep up with the science stuff, that makes him more of a threat to Fitz, both as a team member and as a subject of Simmons's interest.

Good point.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 23 April 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Well, I was half joking here, but its all over the IMDB boards. Some who have accurately guessed previous twists have been guessing that one.

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostG-man, on 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Ri-i-ight.

So she was only on the team because she was following orders?  Ummm ... I'd think there was more to it than that.

I did not say "only." The mistake you're making is that you're thinking of her like a civilian rather than a soldier. You're assuming that the sole motivations for her choices are personal. That's not the way a soldier like her is trained to think. She's trained to place duty and discipline above personal considerations. And so you're talking about her as if she's some flighty emotional teenager rather than a disciplined combat veteran, which I think is rather condescending.

As for her tracking down Maria Hill, was that actually stated in the episode?

Yes, in the very last line in the tag scene. May and her mother (presumably) were talking about the "she" that May was tracking down, and her mother said "I've always liked Maria."

Of course, it doesn't mean that she wasn't, given that Koenig's facilities were so secret that SHIELD wasn't generally aware of it, so it would make sense to have May bring her in.  This would facilitate the team kind of getting back together to go after Skye and Ward and the Bus ... as is, it looks as if the team's being scattered to the four winds.

Again -- there was far more to SHIELD than this single team. May has been part of the organization for decades, whereas she's only been on this team for a matter of months. She has many friends and trusted colleagues whose fates are unknown, who are probably in just as much danger right now as Coulson & co. are. It's perfectly understandable that she'd feel an obligation to more people than just the stars of this show. You're talking about her running away from her obligations, but you're ignoring the other obligations she must surely have beyond this small group.

Edited by Christopher, 23 April 2014 - 09:59 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

View Post243Skunk, on 23 April 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well, I was half joking here, but its all over the IMDB boards. Some who have accurately guessed previous twists have been guessing that one.

That would be awesome. I hope they're right.

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostChristopher, on 23 April 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostG-man, on 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Ri-i-ight.

So she was only on the team because she was following orders?  Ummm ... I'd think there was more to it than that.

I did not say "only." The mistake you're making is that you're thinking of her like a civilian rather than a soldier. You're assuming that the sole motivations for her choices are personal. That's not the way a soldier like her is trained to think. She's trained to place duty and discipline above personal considerations.

Ummm ... really?  She was introduced as being traumatized and asocial.  She was shown to have little patience with those who had other agendas and priorities than hers.  Then "Turn, Turn, Turn" occurred.  What Duty does she have, if not to the people she is currently serving with?  (And yes, that is how a soldier thinks.)  Coulson is her superior, if he chose to bench her, then, as a soldier, she should accept being benched and continue following his orders.  But she didn't.

In the service, being absent from your unit without explanation to your superior is classified as either being AWOL or Desertion, both of which are crimes ... so ... how is she acting like a soldier and experienced veteran as opposed to a willful teenager?  If she thought she could no longer be useful to the team due to the estrangement with her superior (Coulson), then she should have remained at the Hub.

As for her tracking down Maria Hill, was that actually stated in the episode?

Yes, in the very last line in the tag scene. May and her mother (presumably) were talking about the "she" that May was tracking down, and her mother said "I've always liked Maria."

Ah.  I just didn't make the connection.

Of course, it doesn't mean that she wasn't, given that Koenig's facilities were so secret that SHIELD wasn't generally aware of it, so it would make sense to have May bring her in.  This would facilitate the team kind of getting back together to go after Skye and Ward and the Bus ... as is, it looks as if the team's being scattered to the four winds.

Again -- there was far more to SHIELD than this single team. May has been part of the organization for decades, whereas she's only been on this team for a matter of months. She has many friends and trusted colleagues whose fates are unknown, who are probably in just as much danger right now as Coulson & co. are. It's perfectly understandable that she'd feel an obligation to more people than just the stars of this show. You're talking about her running away from her obligations, but you're ignoring the other obligations she must surely have beyond this small group.

Agreed.  But, again, since the whole focus of the series has been on this team as opposed to SHIELD as a whole, and given May's usual laconic stoicism, none of that was made explicit.  

The impression we were given of May was that after "the incident" which may, or may not have traumatized her, she went down to the Records Management Department, where she was largely alienated  from her coworkers, before she was approached by Coulson to return to the field.  Later, we find that she had been approached by Fury to witness (supervise?) Coulson's treatment at TAHITI and then create the requirements for a team for Coulson to lead.

As depicted, she was an asocial loner who doesn't make friends easily, and was just beginning to loosen up with this team.  While they had mentioned that she was considerably different before "the incident" -- more social, etc. -- we hadn't really witnessed anything that would support that she close ties at this stage to anyone other than Fury and Coulson.  

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#13 innocentone

innocentone

Here to the next generation

• Forever Missed
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Interesting show, I have to rewatch it again.  I have no clue as to why they is no longer a shield, I miss something. He I go to back tracking I hope

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

The Hydra stuff continues to be compelling. Love Tripp. Loved that May sought out her mom - clearly a retired agent herself (albeit for a different agency). Loved "THE lie detector" and everything with Skye (first time ever).

The episodic plot bored me.

#15 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 23 April 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Post243Skunk, on 23 April 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

That would be awesome. I hope they're right.

Me too.

Spoiler

#16 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 23 April 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

The Hydra stuff continues to be compelling. Love Tripp. Loved that May sought out her mom - clearly a retired agent herself (albeit for a different agency). Loved "THE lie detector" and everything with Skye (first time ever).

The episodic plot bored me.

I've never been with the Skye hate. She is a young actress, and I believe that this has been her first major American role. She was a semi-popular singer in Hong Kong prior to the show.  Some growing pains where to be had, but she has come around, a lot more quickly than most IMO, given what happened in last night's episode.

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

^I thought that Chloe Bennet (as Wang Keying) was a pop star in Beijing, not Hong Kong.

Facebook Author Page

#18 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,582 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

And I assume the woman who picked her up in the car is her mother.

Since May called her "mom," that would be a good assumption.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#19 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostChristopher, on 23 April 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

^I thought that Chloe Bennet (as Wang Keying) was a pop star in Beijing, not Hong Kong.

You could be right. I was going off my memory. Will check.

edit....acording to imdb, your right. Born in Hong Kong, moved to Beijing to sing.

Edited by 243Skunk, 23 April 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#20 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

View Post243Skunk, on 23 April 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I've never been with the Skye hate. She is a young actress, and I believe that this has been her first major American role. She was a semi-popular singer in Hong Kong prior to the show.  Some growing pains where to be had, but she has come around, a lot more quickly than most IMO, given what happened in last night's episode.

I thought the Skye-hate was more over how the character was written as opposed to how the actress portrayed her.  At least that was my complaint about Skye.  She worked when they let her do her thing, but the whole "little girl lost, looking to fit in" bit just didn't work for me.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users