#21 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

View Post243Skunk, on 23 April 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on 23 April 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

The Hydra stuff continues to be compelling. Love Tripp. Loved that May sought out her mom - clearly a retired agent herself (albeit for a different agency). Loved "THE lie detector" and everything with Skye (first time ever).

The episodic plot bored me.

I've never been with the Skye hate. She is a young actress, and I believe that this has been her first major American role. She was a semi-popular singer in Hong Kong prior to the show.  Some growing pains where to be had, but she has come around, a lot more quickly than most IMO, given what happened in last night's episode.

It's Skye that people have a problem with not Chloe Bennett. I think she's doing the best she with the materal she's been given. But I do think she's been written alittle inconstistly though.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostCardie, on 23 April 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

And I assume the woman who picked her up in the car is her mother.

Since May called her "mom," that would be a good assumption.

See, I was listening for that, but I didn't catch her saying it, which is why I wasn't 100 percent certain.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Well, I can't speak for others, but I'm not wild about the actress.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

It was great to see Amy Acker.  I was a little surprised that Coulson didn't reveal himself to her, but it makes sense.  At least it served to snap him out of his anger at May.  It was painful to watch him being portrayed so childishly.  But, of course, May went off to find Maria Hill, so the angst must continue.

Skye was great here, in her reactions to finding out about Ward, and coming to grips with it.  Hopefully Ward will just die now, since he's become nothing more than a robot.  I couldn't tell if the story about his childhood was a lame attempt to justify his alliegiance to HYDRA or part of his manipulating Skye.

View PostBklnScott, on 23 April 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

That would be awesome. I hope they're right.  
Actually, that would suck beyond belief.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Technically May is AWOL and we saw Hill taking a lie detector test at Stark Indusrties at the end of TWS. I liked how the radio had the congressional hearings on, letting us know the ep.'s timeline.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#26 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Technically, there is no such thing as AWOL. They all worked for SHIELD. SHIELD is no more. None of them is under any professional obligation to follow Coulson's orders, as Simmons noted in the episode. If they stick together, it's because they choose to do so.

#27 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

^^^ You are right, sir.  However, when the issue arises about someone thinking like a soldier, being loyal to comrades, devoted to their duties, etc., then sticking or skipping becomes problematical.

My issue is that she chose to skip when she wouldn't have to face Coulson.  If she wanted to leave, and told him, I could get behind that, because it is generally common courtesy to let the team lead know when one wants out.  That she chose to leave with no excuse, and avoid having to deal with Coulson, I hold to my contention that she was fleeing from an uncomfortable scene more than that she was selflessly acting in the interest of a higher cause.

Still, in times of uncertainty and stress, mistakes will be made.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 April 2014 - 08:48 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#28 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

She's gotta prove herself. Presumably she does that by getting Hill to vouch for her.

#29 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well, "treason" is a matter of dates.  No doubt, Hill and Col. Talbot would praise her actions as being right and proper, albeit, whether or not Coulson would see it that way, or as yet another betrayal by her, is still open to question ... thus adding more angst to that mill.

Anyways ... I thought it an interesting character quirk that "the Cavalry" would be, if not afraid, very uncomfortable with emotional confrontations.  It's an almost contradictory flaw for a laconical stoic to have -- and it would certainly add some complexity to what had otherwise been a one-note character.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 April 2014 - 10:05 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#30 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

And that's the other part - we'll have to see her being the actual cavalry coming back to save them at a particularly dire moment, thus proving her loyalty and re-earning her place on the team.

#31 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I just think it's uncharitable, and a complete misreading of her character, to think she's just "running away" to avoid facing Coulson. She's not some flighty teenager in a CW show. Coulson has made it clear to her that he doesn't trust her. She's concluded she can't be of any use to him under those circumstances, that it would be futile to keep butting her head against that wall. So she's adapting, seeking another strategy. For all we know, she's leaving in order to help Coulson in some more indirect way. Maybe she wants to talk to Maria so that Maria will connect with Coulson and help him through this now that he won't let May do so.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for a friend or a loved one is to give them space. If they're in a place where they're not willing to let you in, the worst thing you can do is try to force yourself on them. Sometimes all you can do is respect their wishes, keep your distance, and hope they can sort things out. It's a hard lesson to learn, but an important one. I've been in situations like that with friends in the past, friends that I knew or suspected had been through something traumatic, and I learned that trying to push them to let me in was more harmful than helpful, that it was more about what I wanted than what they needed. So I think it is naive to assume that stepping back when a friend isn't willing to let you in is the same as running away from them. Sometimes it's the kindest thing you can do. Sometimes it's the only unselfish thing you can do, for better or worse.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#32 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Heh.

It's not that she left, Christopher, it's that she chose to leave without informing Coulson (her estranged friend, and first line supervisor) that she was doing so.  That isn't doing him any favors.  That is solely for her benefit, because she is not comfortable with emotional confrontations.  As I said earlier, had she told him she was leaving -- for whatever reason -- then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but she didn't.

Yes, sometimes friends need to give each other space, but sometimes friends also need to give each other time and understanding.  She certainly expects everyone to give it to her, but she doesn't extend the same courtesy to them.

As you have pointed out yourself, she didn't give Coulson the time he needed to work through his issues, nor did she try to understand why he had issues concerning her revelation.  At a time when their world was turned upside down, she essentially gave him one to two days, and she was out of there because he didn't instantly understand and forgive her at the moment of her confession.  And that's precisely how the actress played it.

Besides, this isn't a new development for her character.  We've seen evidence of this behavior in past episodes: her impatience with Skye's deliberations (lack of understanding), her uneasiness simply chatting with Coulson when she and Ward were having an affair behind his back (need for instant forgiveness and understanding).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#33 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 24 April 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

And that's the other part - we'll have to see her being the actual cavalry coming back to save them at a particularly dire moment, thus proving her loyalty and re-earning her place on the team.

Heh, that reminds me of a saying ... I think it was the Arch-Duke Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary.  His sentiment was:  "I don't care if he is loyal to the realm, what I want to know is if he is loyal to ME."

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#34 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I wonder if Coulson & co find the dead body whether Coulson will suspect May and reverse his decision to trust her pending further data ;) If they find the dead body before they find Skye's warning (assuming she left one) then the most likely theory is that one (or more) of the three they left behind is Hydra.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#35 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

I think the real May would have told Coulson that he was being a childish idiot and to grow the hell up.  She's been replaced by a Skrull.  Or a Chitauri.  Whatever.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users