14 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Spoilers

Agent Hill returns as the remains of SHIELD come down around Coulson and his team.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Garret and Ward do seem to a screw poose, it's more they're anti-SHIELD rather than true Hydr agents, they don't seem to understand what Hydra represents and I have to wonder if this was true of the turncoats. It was nice seeing Hill again but in reality she's rather powerless now. Greg Clark gave an effective performance although I wished he'd apologized to May, but Coulson is the true keeper of the faith now, but Hill is right SHIELD is gone.

Edited by DWF, 30 April 2014 - 03:16 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Well ... OK, Garrett's psychopathy is showing when he ordered Deathlok to induce a heart-attack in Ward to get Skye to cooperate.  I hope this doesn't mean that Ward is going to return to the team, as opposed to continue being the conflicted antagonist ... especially given that Skye did, effectively, save his life by surrendering the encryption code.

But, yes, Garrett is not a die-hard HYDRA man.  His disregard for the salute, and his confession that he switched sides because he saw which way the wind was blowing, pretty much confirms that he is not a true believer.  Ward isn't so much HYDRA as he is Garrett's man; his own comments about how much he "owes" Garrett pretty much supports that view.

I did like that Skye had managed to almost free herself by triggering a police alert on Ward, pity about Deathlok appearing.  Also, YAY for Skye in managing to inform the team re: Ward's affiliation.

Trip, Fitz and Simmons continue to stand out, and Trip essentially made the same point about May that I did.  Although Fitz's outright question to Simmons "Are you HYDRA?" was disconcerting ... I'm hoping that she's not.

That May went to Maria Hill ... OK.  That Maria Hill brought in Col. Talbot to secure Coulson and his team ... I can buy.  I loved Maria Hill's "Oops" when she discovered just what it was her actions had screwed up.  At least May and Coulson are now talking ... his "I'm glad you're here" is probably the closest to an apology that she's going to get.  I did like that Maria Hill confirmed SHIELD's demise, as well as Talbot's glee over gaining access to SHIELD resources.

I loved Coulson's rescue of Skye ... as well as his astonishment upon hearing that Deathlok was on board the bus.  The tag scene was effective, as was Coulson's "Huh" as he absorbed what he had just witnessed.  Admittedly, that whole revelation concerning TAHITI pretty much raises some concern about the future of Coulson and Skye, though I think Skye's condition being near-death as opposed to dead might mitigate a large number of the psychological factors.

So, all in all, a rather enjoyable episode.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostG-man, on 30 April 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Although Fitz's outright question to Simmons "Are you HYDRA?" was disconcerting ... I'm hoping that she's not.
Yeah, that pretty much sealed the deal that there's SOMETHING she's hiding, doesn't it?  I'm trying to remember her lie-detector test... Was she particularly dodgy in answering anything?

This latest Tahiti reveal kinda doubles-down on Nick Fury's actions being a significant betrayal, and still doesn't explain why he would have gone that far to keep Coulson alive.  I'm now rooting for it to turn out that Phil was revived a bit through other means and actually volunteered.  Since this video shows that there are still things he's mind-wiped about, there's got to be more to the "Why?" that he hasn't remembered yet.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I don't believe Simmons is HYDRA. I think it would be lazy for the show to repeat the same twist and have another member be a mole. Besides, Ward already said to Raina that he got in the team's good graces by saving one of their members, i.e. Simmons, when she jumped from the Bus. If Simmons were another HYDRA agent, why wouldn't Ward know about it? What's the point of putting two moles on the same team in the first place, let alone not letting them in on each other's true affiliation?

What I do think might happen, though, is that Fitz -- who clearly feels a lot of loyalty toward Ward and is feeling alienated now that Triplett is moving in on Simmons -- might end up defecting to HYDRA. That way it wouldn't just be a lazy rehash of the same twist, but would be a new twist that's a logical extension of the first one.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Fitz is questioning whether he can trust the woman we all know he is in love with. I think he can - why would they need to unlock Skye's backup if Simmons is Hydra? Wouldn't she have provided it all to them already?

I don't think Fitz would defect - I do think he may go try to kill Ward, though, based on the gravity of his threat to Garrett last week. (Something about how he plans to be "a very big part" of making Garrett pay for what he's done).

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm paraphrasing an argument I heard on another board, but I don't think Fitz is romantically in love with Simmons (which would be boring and predictable, so I hope he isn't), but rather sees her more as a sibling or possibly a mother figure, would feel lost without her, and feels threatened that Triplett is moving in and disrupting his comfortable status quo.

And sure, he said he wants to be part of taking vengeance on Garrett, but people can change their allegiances and goals with the right incentive.

I mean, let's give these writers some credit. Most of us didn't have a clue about Ward being an enemy mole. They hid the truth from us very effectively. So if the "obvious" interpretation of what we're seeing is that Fitz is loyal and Simmons may be a spy, might that not be deliberate misdirection?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

It could be, sure, and I agree that they played Ward's deception very well. My eyebrows didn't go up when he abruptly hit on May - and only slightly when he bedded the Enchantress. They subverted the libidinous-but-true first officer trope expertly... But a lot of the success is attributable to not knowing that SHIELD had long since been taken over by Hydra.

I'm not convinced there isn't a second hydra mole on the team - certainly they are having fun teasing that possibility out - and I suppose if there was, it would kinda have to be Fitz but it would be hard to justify why they kept him undercover when all Hydra agents got the order to unmask... Why Garrett kept up the cover when he was about to kill them all, etc.

I don't think it's Simmons, though - she had access to a lot of the stuff on the locked hard drive, if not all of it, and we saw her sending the Tahiti goop for further testing... But not to hydra or even an embedded hydra agent within shield.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

Fitz is definitely not with HYDRA now. I'm saying he could defect to them later. (Or rather, defect to Garrett and Ward's splinter group.)

Edited by Christopher, 30 April 2014 - 06:17 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

^^  Actually it was May who hit on Ward.

This was a pretty good episode.  Maybe this new direction will work out, as long as it doesn't last too long. I still don't know if they can get back the original spark that they had.

Skye was great in this one, again.  Leaving a message, playing Ward, tipping off the police, and getting away-- if it wasn't for Deathlok, she would have been successful.  I'm glad May came back and Coulson realized he was being childish-- that was painful to watch. Hopefully he will apologize next episode and it will be dropped.  The exchange between Fitz and Simmons was great-- I really hope they don't make the mistake of making her (or Fitz) HYDRA. That would be really bad writing. I do think that there's something up with her, and it probably has to do with her obsession with the GH drug, but hopefully it will be something more interesting than another corrupt character.

The TAHITI revelation was interesting indeed.  I wonder what happened to all of those people that SHIELD (or whoever) experimented on.  Are they still alive somewhere?  And are Coulson and Skye now at risk for mental breakdown?  Or does his brain surgery and her 084-ness protect them?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hmmmm ... I'm actually under the impression that Fitz does love Simmons romantically, while Simmons regards him more like a little brother, or the like.

Re: the HYDRA angle ... I'm thinking that is a purposeful misdirection.  Rather, what I am witnessing is that the normally gregarious and open and rules-following Simmons has, over this season, learned to keep secrets and question (and defy) authority, while the trusting Fitz has become more suspicious thanks to the events that have unfolded.  IOW, these two characters are changing and growing, and not necessarily in a good way.  Where it will lead is anyone's guess.

Re: May and Coulson, I believe Coulson's "I'm glad you're back" was his apology to May, as much as her literally digging up the secret behind TAHITI was hers to him.   And definitely agreed about the whole mental breakdown thing ... though I think Skye MIGHT be less subject to it, not so much because of her O84-ness, but rather because she hadn't died yet when she got the injection.

It is, as I had predicted, the team is getting ground down as the season closes.  SHIELD is gone, HYDRA is ascendant (despite the losses depicted in Winter Soldier), our gang has changed (Ward is out, Trip is in) and their purpose has lost its legitimacy if not its importance or urgency.  With the Bus still in the hands of the opposition, the team is without its base of operations (nevermind that unless some deals are struck for landing and refueling, the Bus becomes increasingly impractical and expensive to maintain as a base as long as the team is on the run from everybody.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 01 May 2014 - 09:43 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#12 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Regardless off whether Fitz is in love with Simmons or not...she is  his constant--friend and companion and partner in science.  She is someone he trusts above all others and I think they have been working together for some time, much longer than there was a team. And he doesn't like change.  He's said as much.

This whole situation lately has been nothing but change....no more SHIELD, their little team/'family' shattered by Ward's betrayal, doubts about May,  Skye's having been shot and that shot they gave her from the TAHITI project, Coulson's falling out with May, Trip joining them and the vibes between Trip and Simmons....

Poor guy and I think he needs to feel safe in the midst of all that change.  He just needed reassurance that one thing in his world has not changed. (though did he really think that Simmons would confess if she was HYDRA? btw I don't think she is)

I think Fitz thinks he's in love with Simmons but not sure that isn't really familiarity more than romantic love.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostTricia, on 01 May 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

(though did he really think that Simmons would confess if she was HYDRA? btw I don't think she is)

Like he said, he knew it was an absurd question, but he just needed to hear the reassurance.

Facebook Author Page

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

I certainly think Fritz is loe with Simmons, it's reason he's been so jealous of Ward and Trip, but he's clearly afraid to show it openly. Still Fritz can bring himself to think the worst of Ward whish if rather nice.

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Fitz and Simmons have a fascinating relationship.  My take on it is that they are in love on multiple levels, but both of them are too socially stunted to understand how deeply their partnership runs.  Fitz is starting to get it-- he was jealous of Triplett, but didn't know why until Ward talked to him about it.  He almost said something to her on the bus when she brought it up,, but couldn't bring himself to do it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users