24 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Spoilers

Coulson and his team put it all the line to stop Garrett.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Interesting season finale. I still don't see how they're going to be able to rebuild SHIELD with every government agency hunting them down?

The battle with Garret at the end was a little bit too much comic book corny for me. Although I absolutely LOVED May beating down Ward. I'm hoping next season we at least get to see some of the torture of Ward....that would just be icing on the cake.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Well, there's a lot happening off-camera that we are not privy to.

My impression is that with the Admiral witnessing the death of the General at the hands of Garrett, and then being freed by Coulson's people, this might've given out folks a reprieve from the hunt.

That said, it really takes a presidential or congressional mandate to restore/create/dissolve an agency, so Fury's handing over a box and proclaiming Coulson the new Director of SHIELD is ... problematical and still leaves unresolved just what the heck SHIELD is.  OTOH, if our gang are going to continue to fly around the globe on the Bus and/or that other plane, they really did need some logistical support that they wouldn't get by being fugitives.

Fitz and Simmons continue to rock, with Fitz finally managing to express his feelings to Simmons in about as dramatic a fashion as one could get. Good on Simmons for grabbing Fitz on the way out. Then there was their rescue ...

Coulson and Trip's assault on Cyber-Tek was impressive, and Skye continues to rock when they actually give her stuff to do.  After seeing the heroes always being two steps behind the villains, it was nice to see them manage to get ahead of the curve for this finale.  Plus Skye's managing to turn Peterson/Deathlok was certainly good to see.

What surprised me is that they wrapped up Garrett's arc with such finality.

Cyber-Tek has been taken down a notch, but whether it is out for the count is still open to question.  Flowers is still out there, unrepentant, and apparently with Skye's father.  Ward is being given a "Time Out" to think about what he has done -- what surprised me was just how little agency was in him.  He was Garrett's man -- until Garrett went a little funny in the head -- and now he is suddenly without direction, or purpose, aside from an attraction to Skye.

And speaking of going a little funny in the head, was Coulson's diagram identical to what Garrett had sketched out?  Initially it looked like a flow chart, it seemed to become something else entirely.  Is this the result of TAHITI?

Finally, it was nice to see the reprise of Koenig, and a secret base.  Hopefully this time they will not announce where the base is, and they'll keep Koenig around, if not as a regular, then as a recurring character.

All in all, this was a nicely done season finale.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostG-man, on 14 May 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

That said, it really takes a presidential or congressional mandate to restore/create/dissolve an agency, so Fury's handing over a box and proclaiming Coulson the new Director of SHIELD is ... problematical and still leaves unresolved just what the heck SHIELD is.

Well, for one thing, the movies made it pretty clear that it's an international agency, not just an American one.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Coulson's expanded diagram looked like a circuit board to me?   (Though I guess any conglomeration of dots and lines would...)

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostChristopher, on 14 May 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

That said, it really takes a presidential or congressional mandate to restore/create/dissolve an agency, so Fury's handing over a box and proclaiming Coulson the new Director of SHIELD is ... problematical and still leaves unresolved just what the heck SHIELD is.

Well, for one thing, the movies made it pretty clear that it's an international agency, not just an American one.

Except it didn't.  Who were the World Security Council?  Are they with the UN?  This has always been a big hazy question mark that has hung over SHIELD in the MCU.

In the comics, they were definitely a US-led agency.  In the MCU, it looks like SHIELD was a reorganization and repurposing of the old Scientific Strategic Reserve ... which was definitely a US-led agency.

So, when did it stop looking to the US and instead reported to World Security Council?  Just whose subcommittee meetings was Alexander Pierce referring to? Was it Congress, or the UN?  And who was approving its budget?

These are all questions that they have determinedly refused to address, and consequently, If SHIELD was dissolved as a result of the revelations released during Winter Soldier, to the extent that the US Military was seizing all its North American based assets (why Canada didn't protest that intrusion, I don't know) then its reformation should take more than an ex-director handing his appointed successor a box.

Hopefully, Agent Carter will provide some clarification here.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Well, the show pretty much redeemed itself for me with this episode. The conversation between Coulson and Fury was everything I was hoping for-- Fury saved Coulson, not because he is an alien or an 086 or the Chosen One or his coming was foretold in the scrolls of prophecy, but just because he's a really good person. Coulson is the reason I watched this show to begin with and that kind of blue-skies philosophy is what made me love it. I can forgive a few haywire moments for that. And Coulson now has his mandate-- and a mysterious toolbox-- to rebuild SHIELD.

The entire subplot about Fitz and Simmons, from the moment she woke up to Fury pulling them out of the ocean like a Deus Ex Machina, was wonderful. I loved the conversation about the afterlife, I loved them realizing that certain death was a problem they could solve, I loved Fitz's confession, and I loved Gemma's reaction. The only thing I didn't love was the implication that Fitz is not completely okay. They better not screw him up. And if they do, they better have a way to fix him.

I'm glad they acknowledged in-story that Ward is just a puppy dog for Garrett. It's good that he's in custody, but I'd rather he was dead and gone (nothing against the actor-- I feel kind of bad for him). The showdown with May was pretty cringe-worthy, but it was the only bad moment in the episode, really.

I got a big kick out of Deathlok disappearing into the shadows to make amends. That was surely a classic Marvel Comics moment. And it was great when he got that text message from his son and blasted Garrett a fraction of a second later-- that was satisfying to watch. :D

And we've got some stuff to wonder about for next season, other than Fitz's health. Raina apparently knows Skye's daddy. And Coulson seems to understand the symbols that Garrett was drawing-- and he, too, would rather scratch them on a wall than use pencil and paper. I'm thinking Kree.

As for rebuilding SHIELD-- it's simple.  While everybody else was worrying about Congress and the United Nations, Fury registered the trademark-- he owns it, so he can do what he wants with it.  :lol:

Anyway-- really nice. I'll rewatch it when I get the chance. And I'm back to getting the DVD set again. :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 14 May 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

The showdown with May was pretty cringe-worthy, but it was the only bad moment in the episode, really.

I don't understand. I thought the fight was very well-executed, hard-won, and ultimately satisfying. How was it "cringe-worthy" and "bad" in your opinion?

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Agreed. It was extremely satisfying. I particularly liked the way she hits him like a bolt of lightning at the start.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

The fight was okay, I guess.  I was talking about the "You slept with her and she's pissed" and "You were never on top."
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Why does everyone assume the person Raina was meeting is Skye's father? We saw the back of a head at a medium distance, and a close up on a mucky hand :D Ok, I re-watched the scene and the shoulders are a bit broad, but not really enough to go by, I know some broad-shouldered women. But whether her parents are aliens, cryptid-like, or the 'next step' in human evolution (natural or otherwise) there is no reason to expect them to closely match human sexual dimorphism much less gender expression. Other than they have to get human actors to play them since it isn't comic books ;) Is the actor in that scene referenced or cited somewhere? :)

Edited by sierraleone, 15 May 2014 - 10:03 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Why does everyone assume the person Raina was meeting is Skye's father?

Umm, because Raina told him "I found your daughter." Didn't she?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostChristopher, on 15 May 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 15 May 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Why does everyone assume the person Raina was meeting is Skye's father?

Umm, because Raina told him "I found your daughter." Didn't she?

"Your" is gender neutral. Did Raina say something else? Has it been stated/implied previously that the mother died in the fighting when Skye was a baby 084?

- Masha Gessen

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Oh, I see. You're saying we don't know that the person we saw is male. I guess it just looked that way from the build.

Facebook Author Page

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

I can't remember exactly what was said in the show but I know that I read somewhere that it was Skye's father....whether that is correct or not or they assumed I don't know

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

I think I read that, too, but I can't remember where either. In any case, there's got to be a mommy out there somewhere.  :D

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostTricia, on 16 May 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

I can't remember exactly what was said in the show but I know that I read somewhere that it was Skye's father....whether that is correct or not or they assumed I don't know

I think they have assumed. I've glanced at a number of reviews/recaps and all but two assume it is the father, but they don't say anything else to substantiate that. One review said Raina told someone that they found their daughter, and another actually said parent, and that we don't know whether it was Skye's mother or father. I assume, unless there ends up being a story about one being dead, that we will meet both sooner or later (whether on the same 'side' or not is another matter). Reportedly they were both willing to tear apart a town for her so I don't see either being dissuaded easily from pursuing her :D

- Masha Gessen

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

And speaking of going a little funny in the head, was Coulson's diagram identical to what Garrett had sketched out?  Initially it looked like a flow chart, it seemed to become something else entirely.  Is this the result of TAHITI?

And Coulson seems to understand the symbols that Garrett was drawing-- and he, too, would rather scratch them on a wall than use pencil and paper. I'm thinking Kree.

One of the side effects mentioned for the GH drug was "Hypergraphia".  I'm thinking this qualifies.  :eek:

SFG

edited to add link

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 18 May 2014 - 12:06 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Oh, and about the May / Ward fight.  Ward's beat-down was long overdue, but I had to cringe at everything involving a power-saw.  Just ... *shudders*.

Though I did love when she nailed his foot to the floor!  :oh: :lol:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#20 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 17 May 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

And Coulson seems to understand the symbols that Garrett was drawing-- and he, too, would rather scratch them on a wall than use pencil and paper. I'm thinking Kree.

One of the side effects mentioned for the GH drug was "Hypergraphia".  I'm thinking this qualifies.  :eek:    
Yeah, but why a wall rather than paper?  :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents Of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users