June 2014 Board Blowup The Argument

42 replies to this topic

#21 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

I take a short break from the board and come back to this. I apologize for not coming in sooner.

Please everyone, calm down. I saw that comment by QT and in my opinion it was her making a point to LotS, not calling him stupid or any such thing. There won't be any actions taken.

#22 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Rhea doesn't speak for all staff with that remark, I assure you.

I didn't see QT implying LotS as stupid at all. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain why she would bring it up here and now. It has to be just an observation. This isn't her forum so she can't act here.
Rejected and gone.

#23 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

Unfortunately Miko, Chatty the damage is now done. We're down Specs, Yadda, Mark, quite possibly LotS.

It's a bit late to be locking the barn door.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#24 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

It was just an observation, as Miko pointed out.  I was surprised that QT used that particular turn of phrase, as it's very unlike the QT I know.

As for the time lag, I know it's been mentioned several times that I was in the hospital, then got out, then fell and ended up out of commission again.  So the evil time lag is simply the result of the fact that I was gone for quite a while, came back and found a shitstorm of threads screaming at the staff for the sanctions.

I was appalled because this thread (and the other one) reminds me of the bad old days when warnings would be given out and there'd be what seemed like weeks of debate over each warning (well, except for the couple given to me - I asked people not to argue on my behalf).

I apologize for anyone who took my remark to QT as offensive. I still find the idea of God tossing anyone out on the grounds of stupidity offensive, but that's a personal feeling, not a modly remark, I never, anywhere, even remotely implied that QT should be sanctioned, because I never thought she should have. I never mentioned any kind of sanction, and I'm not sure where that idea came from.  And I'll make sure from now on to mark modly remarks with [MOD].

Edited to add: I apologize to QT for the "you can do better" remark. I was out of line.

Edited by Rhea, 21 June 2014 - 10:52 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#25 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

[MOD] Its their choice Gode, and I honour their choices. I was merely pointing out to Yadda that Rhea was making an observation and after coming so far it would be an unfortunate reason to leave.
Rejected and gone.

#26 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostRhea, on 21 June 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

It was just an observation, as Miko pointed out.  I was surprised that QT used that particular turn of phrase, as it's very unlike the QT I know.

As for the time lag, I know it's been mentioned several times that I was in the hospital, then got out, then fell and ended up out of commission again.  So the evil time lag is simply the result of the fact that I was gone for quite a while, came back and found a shitstorm of threads screaming at the staff for sanctions I had nothing to do with but support.

I was appalled because this thread (ansd the other one) reminds me of the bad old days when warnings would be given out and there'd be what seemed like weeks of debate over each warning (well, except for the couple given to me - I asked people not to argue on my behalf).

I apologize for anyone who took my remark to QT as offensive. I still find the idea of God tossing anyone out on the grounds of stupidity offensive, but that's a personal feeling, not a modly remark, I never, anywhere, even remotely implied that QT should be sanctioned, because I never thought she should have. I never mentioned any kind of sanction, and I'm not sure where that idea came from.  And I'll make sure from now on to mark modly remarks with [MOD].

You're appalled!?  Try being a member and seeing Staff totally disregard our (member) opinions as bad ole days, like we're riff raff who should shut up and sit down.  Nonny should not have been booted, she did not accuse LoTs of being racist no matter how staff bend vocabulary.  There won't be anybody for staff to moderate if there isn't some kind of change made in the way members are treated.  It's like none of you have read a single word we've said.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#27 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostMikoto, on 21 June 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

[MOD] Its their choice Gode, and I honour their choices. I was merely pointing out to Yadda that Rhea was making an observation and after coming so far it would be an unfortunate reason to leave.

Coming so far?  Do you really think that we've come far?  :dizzy:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

#28 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

I mean after getting through these threads without quitting like so many others have. Falling at the final hurdle, so to speak.

And while I'm at it, one should try being a Mod where the membership feel entitled to treat one like a tyrant with an avalanche of insults, disrespect, angry contentiousness along with twisting every single word one says to have a sinister meaning.

Edited by Mikoto, 21 June 2014 - 10:38 AM.

Rejected and gone.

#29 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostMikoto, on 21 June 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I mean after getting through these threads without quitting like so many others have. Falling at the final hurdle, so to speak.

And while I'm at it, one should try being a Mod where the membership feel entitled to treat one like a tyrant with an avalanche of insults, disrespect, angry contentiousness along with twisting every single word one says to have a sinister meaning.

I haven't done that.  I am angry and I have been speaking my mind but I haven't been rude to you or anyone.  What's the final hurdle?

#30 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostMikoto, on 21 June 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I hope you're not describing the membership here, because that's just not happening. I've been a mod, and I was personally and maliciously targeted by multiple members during that time. Nothing like that has happened here. There may have been two or three comments out of line, but for the most part we've been respectfully expressing legitimate frustration at injustice, and lack of any apparent respect for our complaints.

Edited by Omega, 21 June 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#31 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Ah, I meant tolerating Rhea's observation a few posts back. After going through all the bickering in the complaints threads it just seems a shame for Yadda to quit over a mere observation. That's all I meant.

Omega. I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree. I acknowledge some members stayed respectful and calm. Others... didn't.
Rejected and gone.

#32 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Oh and if it helps, the Staff have listened to the membership. We're working on something, we just need a bit more time to work it out. I can't say much more than that.
Rejected and gone.

#33 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

"If it helps"? That should have been said the instant that became the case. Like I said, perception problems are real problems.

#34 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

So this is an example of your respect then Omega? Throwing my attempt to be helpful back in my face?
Rejected and gone.

#35 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

I apologize if my phrasing wasn't the most sensitive. Frustration creeps in, as I keep warning everyone else. I should listen to my own advice. Please understand, though, respect is behind all my posts, even if it's not in front of it. I could just leave, like half a dozen others. But I respect the staff enough to believe they may still realize their errors, which is why I keep pointing them out. If not for that respect, you wouldn't see me here. :)

Let me clarify. I felt the need to point out that we actually have two problems. First, the bad calls that were made, which were complained about mightily and broadly, and which we now know are being discussed. (Great!) Second, we have the new problem that the staff isn't telling members that their concerns are being given weight and being discussed, when numerous members are leaving over that very concern. Those are both things that the staff need to address, and I hope they will.

Also, I'm not picking on you, Mikoto. Any comment I make about the behavior of the staff is directed at the entire staff, as a group. You happen to be the one posting. I'm sorry if I've made it seem either personal or angry. It's absolutely not my intent.

Edited by Omega, 21 June 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#36 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

OOPS!---cross-posted with Omega

Please calm down both of you...
And if I am reading this wrong, temper flares where there are none....please forgive.

Mikoto said something as soon she could.  She did say staff is working  on  something...not that they are in total agreement as to the details.  

We can not possibly know how long ago this came together so that she felt comfortable enough to even say anything.

Members should have expected that staff was working on it anyway. And it would not calm folks any if she or any other staff had said something days ago and they were not close to a plan.

Then some folks would be hounding them for details because we are working on it would not be enough for them.

Edited by Tricia, 21 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#37 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Also we have to remember that there are a lot of threads lately in IC and short of repeating themselves in each and every thread  (which they would have to do because not everyone reads every post and might miss it) or starting another thread just to say that they are addressing members concerns, it is difficult.

(BTW 7! threads created since June 9 from the basic first incident in OT that started it all)

Edited by Tricia, 21 June 2014 - 03:15 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#38 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostTricia, on 21 June 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

And it would not calm folks any if she or any other staff had said something days ago and they were not close to a plan.

Then some folks would be hounding them for details because we are working on it would not be enough for them.

Some folks will not be satisfied one way or another. (And I'm genuinely not thinking of names here, so please, nobody get offended.) But you can't worry about legit malcontents; by definition, they're unhappy either way. I for one would have felt much better with "we're working on it, give us a couple weeks" than with what amounts to dead silence. I expect I'm not the only one.

Perception!

#39 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostOmega, on 21 June 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

View PostTricia, on 21 June 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

And it would not calm folks any if she or any other staff had said something days ago and they were not close to a plan.

Some folks will not be satisfied one way or another. (And I'm genuinely not thinking of names here, so please, nobody get offended.) But you can't worry about legit malcontents; by definition, they're unhappy either way. I for one would have felt much better with "we're working on it, give us a couple weeks" than with what amounts to dead silence. I expect I'm not the only one.

Perception!

I had the impression that staff were done and I'm pretty sure that I got the impression from posts made that told me they were done, see list:
1. Get over it. - That's chock full of respect.
2. Deaf ears, not mine - More respect AND a nice dose of couldn't give a sh*t what members say.
3. Agree to disagree. - That tells me that staff is done and I can either agree or disagree or or pound sand.

We had no idea that there was anything forthcoming because we were told that there was nothing forthcoming.  And BTW staff are not the only people on this board who deserve respect.  Omega has been completely gentlemanly, what he wrote wasn't in any way rude.

#40 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Let's please not discuss whether I was or was not disrespectful. I was perceived as such, which is all that matters. Again, my apologies to Mikoto.

Edited by Omega, 21 June 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: June 2014 Board Blowup, The Argument

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users