156 replies to this topic

#141 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostTricia, on 28 June 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

LotS....
I am not a mod but your 'boy' comment added to the situation and not only complicated it but made it worse.  Not one bootable situation but two.  

Honestly LoP can not be blamed for not correctly stating correctly the original cause for your boot because you gave staff one reason then added to it. YOU complicated the situation. In the exact same thread. LoP is only human....not a king or God.  It has been stated what your original boot was for. LoP not writing the right one with the abundance of riches you gave him....well, that doesn't change the original reason, only points out that if possible that would have definitely got the boot. Or worse.

The original post LotS was booted for and the only one he was booted for--

View PostLord of the Sword, on 01 June 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

I honestly never thought I see the day that Exislers sided with dealing with terrorists. this place has truly changed, and not for the good. Agreeing that the US should meet terrorist demands is just something I can't agree with.

"I won't change who I am" is something I would see as a signal that you aren't going to cooperate with anyone.  How can anyone see that as anything else but refusal to cooperate?  Now if you had said "I am who I am but okay I will avoid that sort of comment in the future", that shows some inkling of cooperation.

So yes, bootable.

In the old days that would have got you a warning.  A boot is nothing compared to that and you know it.  Basically a timeout from one little thread. Not a warning and not a ban. Just a timeout, essentially an enforced timeout.  

And staff has always had up to 5 days to do something about any posts. I wish it was sooner but that is the way it has always been.

Btw at one time not so long ago, only pm appeals were allowed to avoid the endless pile-ons so allowing appeals by IC thread only by the one booted is at least making those more visible to them membership now.  But I am sure that staff won't mind if anyone does it the old way either and sends a pm.

Now I am booting myself from this thread.  And if the mods choose to boot me  for this post then so be it.   I can take it.

I'm not going to rehash this thing yet again. But it was longer then 5 days, I think it was like 10 days. And the thread had already calmed down on its own, til staff stirred it all back up again.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#142 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

View PostNonny, on 28 June 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Thanks, LoP.  What upset me about it was the insistence that it was an "attack" and that my explanation was dismissed out of hand, with no consideration of my actual intent.

View PostLover of Purple, on 27 June 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

I will ask that in the future such things be claified with the person first before calling them out.

I have spent most of the years I have posted here stepping carefully around clarification, since a former mod used to insist that my requesting clarification was mockery, which upset me, since s/he would never pay the slightest attention to my explanations of why I was requesting clarification or why I needed to.  For years I have been at a loss as to how to request clarification without using the word clarification, and, in this case, I failed miserably.  I worded my statement the way I did because I was thinking "post, not poster" and that failed too!  I was sure that if I had asked LotS directly if he was aware that 'boy' was racist in the context he was using it that I would be accused of something, but I was shocked that my carefully worded, hopefully neutral statement was taken as an attack.

If I can put this behind me, that will be good, but if anyone tries to pin any of the decisions others have made to leave the board over this on me, well, all I can say is that I print out stuff and discuss it with my VA clinician.  It's what I do to stay as emotionally healthy as I can.

Nonny, I haven't seen anything like that, no one is blaming you for anything.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#143 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

It was 7 days.

And Nonny....no one is placing blame here that I can see.

Members are adults and make their own choices to stay or go.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#144 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostNonny, on 28 June 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Thanks, LoP.  What upset me about it was the insistence that it was an "attack" and that my explanation was dismissed out of hand, with no consideration of my actual intent.

View PostLover of Purple, on 27 June 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

I will ask that in the future such things be claified with the person first before calling them out.

I have spent most of the years I have posted here stepping carefully around clarification, since a former mod used to insist that my requesting clarification was mockery, which upset me, since s/he would never pay the slightest attention to my explanations of why I was requesting clarification or why I needed to.  For years I have been at a loss as to how to request clarification without using the word clarification, and, in this case, I failed miserably.  I worded my statement the way I did because I was thinking "post, not poster" and that failed too!  I was sure that if I had asked LotS directly if he was aware that 'boy' was racist in the context he was using it that I would be accused of something, but I was shocked that my carefully worded, hopefully neutral statement was taken as an attack.

If I can put this behind me, that will be good, but if anyone tries to pin any of the decisions others have made to leave the board over this on me, well, all I can say is that I print out stuff and discuss it with my VA clinician.  It's what I do to stay as emotionally healthy as I can.

Hey Nonny,
believe me I can understand and empathize with your quixotic quest for "clarification" on this board. As a matter of principle I have made post after post in different threads asking for clarification and a reasonable explanation of why your original post of "this is racism" caused you to come under punitive action. I politely asked for clarification on the thread and was condescended to by Rhea and then told the question was no longer up for discussion. Then when I came to IC and questioned the logical foundations of the decision of how the declarative observation "this is racism" was considered an "attack" I was strung along by a moderator whose self assurance in the decision was founded and buttressed only by her evidently universally truthful belief that "I AM NOT WRONG!", deflecting or ignoring any rhetorical evidence presented to the contrary. Then when that moderator wigged out and stormed off the board, characterizing membership as howlers and screamers I hoped that the promised statement or announcement resolving this comedy/tragedy of errors might culminate in some sort of explanation or "clarification" of whether or not your statement, "this is racism" was an attack or the neutral observation of post, not poster that you carefully intended it to be.

It appears that the staff of this board  is much more concerned with setting up a framework of rules to lessen and restrict discussion to effect this sort of clarification, than for any actual clarifying to be done. It is apparent that the moderating staff is more concerned with quieting dissent and those seeking clarification than actually getting to the bottom of  anything of real import or examining in the light of day anything that would illuminate any mod's decision untenable, illogical, or unreasonable. That is rather disappointing to me but nonetheless revealing, in that it shows that in any power structure from Red China's government or Egypt's, to the US Congress or the White House, to the GM board room or even the EI SL, petrified self interest in maintaining the comfort of status quo rejects transparency and acts where it can to stifle public dissent. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. It is what it is. But I thought it does bear pointing out, before the "cone of silence" effect of the new rules descends and renders further consideration of this issue deaf and moot.  

yadda

#145 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

I hoped that the promised statement or announcement resolving this comedy/tragedy of errors might culminate in some sort of explanation or "clarification" of whether or not your statement, "this is racism" was an attack or the neutral observation of post, not poster that you carefully intended it to be.

Yadda - the fact that Nonnys thread boot was rescinded should give you the answer to that question. On review [when all admins were available] it was decided that Nonnys post was not an attack, but a statement....post, not poster.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#146 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

and Nonny, no-one is pinning this on you, we lost a member of staff over admin error/miscommunication/lack of communication.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#147 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostRaeven, on 28 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

I hoped that the promised statement or announcement resolving this comedy/tragedy of errors might culminate in some sort of explanation or "clarification" of whether or not your statement, "this is racism" was an attack or the neutral observation of post, not poster that you carefully intended it to be.

Yadda - the fact that Nonnys thread boot was rescinded should give you the answer to that question. On review [when all admins were available] it was decided that Nonnys post was not an attack, but a statement....post, not poster.

Thank you Raeven. That's all I needed to know. Unless I missed it somewhere there had been no announcement that Nonny's boot had been rescinded, just apologized for. The only prior mention of it being rescinded that I saw was in Mikoto's rant, and that had been till now, unconfirmed. Thank you very much for the clarification. I had argued long and hard about that issue and it is gratifying to see it was borne out to be judged statement, not attack.

#148 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, Rae, that's exactly the outcome I was hoping for.

View PostRaeven, on 28 June 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

and Nonny, no-one is pinning this on you

Thanks for that too.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#149 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 June 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Thank you Raeven. That's all I needed to know. Unless I missed it somewhere there had been no announcement that Nonny's boot had been rescinded, just apologized for. The only prior mention of it being rescinded that I saw was in Mikoto's rant, and that had been till now, unconfirmed. Thank you very much for the clarification. I had argued long and hard about that issue and it is gratifying to see it was borne out to be judged statement, not attack.

Thanks, yadda.  I was waiting for the official announcement before I acknowledged it here.  I received a pm earlier.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#150 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

^^ YOU received a PM, Nonny?! That's earthshaking news in and of itself! :upside:. I'm so glad of this eventual outcome and decision. And I'm very appreciative that a quorum of Admins applied critical thinking to the issue at hand. I guess while beating a dead horse doesn't solve any disputes with the horse's owner, it can provoke a constable to check in to see why the horse is being beaten.

#151 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

^Yep.  I have made it known that I can send and receive them from staff.  I found out a few years ago when I kept deleting old pm to keep it below 1000, but it kept filling up, and I discovered that staff could overflow it.  It's way out of control now.  My attempts to archive stuff I wanted to keep before we made the big switch to private conversations failed because they showed up in my Inbox garbled and unreadable, and nobody was able to figure out why.
Posted Image

#152 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostNonny, on 28 June 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

^Yep.  I have made it known that I can send and receive them from staff.  I found out a few years ago when I kept deleting old pm to keep it below 1000, but it kept filling up, and I discovered that staff could overflow it.  It's way out of control now.  My attempts to archive stuff I wanted to keep before we made the big switch to private conversations failed because they showed up in my Inbox garbled and unreadable, and nobody was able to figure out why.

One thing you could try, if you use Firefox, is FireShot. With Fireshot, you could grab a shot of the entire conversation, take it to paint.net and clean it up, then save it in a folder that you could then zip once you have them done. After that, you could delete all the conversations and maybe get it to work again.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#153 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Why would LoP apologize for Nonny's boot IF it hadn't been rescinded? :huh:

I took his apology as being acknowledgement of that all by itself.

Edited by Tricia, 28 June 2014 - 02:42 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#154 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostElara, on 28 June 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on 28 June 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

One thing you could try, if you use Firefox, is FireShot. With Fireshot, you could grab a shot of the entire conversation, take it to paint.net and clean it up, then save it in a folder that you could then zip once you have them done. After that, you could delete all the conversations and maybe get it to work again.

Once I get past Firefox, I don't have a clue what any of this means.   :freakoutnonny:
Posted Image

#155 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostTricia, on 28 June 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Why would LoP apologize for Nonny's boot IF it hadn't been rescinded? :huh:

I took his apology as being acknowledgement of that all by itself.

I am not privy to LoP's thought processes and his actions and explanations are somewhat confusing to me due to their ambiguity, terse manner of expression, and the small released sample size of his comments for me to compare for context. But it's his board and his announcements so my inability to read minds, read between the blurred lines, or to be able to follow your obviously superior inductive path are my cross to bear, Tricia.

Perhaps I was also thrown off the scent or led astray by the fact I received a communication from someone wondering why they were still locked out of a thread they'd been booted from the next morning after LoP had offered this person an apology for a thread boot. I took that to mean LoP's apology did not necessarily equal rescindment.

ETA---(correction, the communication I received re: denial of booted thread access was sent some 3 hours after LoP's general statement of apology. I didn't read it until it was the next morning.)

Edited by yadda yadda, 28 June 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#156 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

He has been reinstated to those threads. An oversight of the admins, I assume, so I took care of it when he PM'd me.

#157 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

And since this matter has been settled, I am locking this thread.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users