• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Amazing how many top GOP 2016 presidential aspirants are turning out to be criminals, huh?

http://nymag.com/dai...prosecuted.html

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

I just read a story on this.  I wonder what will come of this.  Nowadays, it's so rare for a corrupt politician to actually pay for his/her crimes.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

The consequences for walker may just be political - he will never be the GOP nominee, let alone president, with this hanging over his head. Another one down...

#4 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

Source:

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

WOW. I had no idea that so many Republican candidates had so many legal issues.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

It doesn't surprise me. All politicians, whether American or British, are corrupt. They stopped serving the people a long time ago.
Rejected and gone.

#7 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

That's a very sweeping statement. Can't you even consider the possibility that a majority are okay and it is only the bad few that get all the attention?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#8 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

No.  For the U.S. anyway, I'm not sure there are more than a handful that are not bought off and/or only serve themselves and not the people.

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

I don't trust politicians in general.

But I believe ...even if I don't know it for a fact....that there may be some who actually care about their constituents still.

But they are few.  

The whole temptation with PACs and the lobbyists and 'campaign contributions'...well, I believe that most get elected and intend to stick with their noble intentions but all that money and power gets to them.

Yep, the bad ones get all the time attention so it may seem like it's all. But there seem to be an awful lot of 'bad apples' out here.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Exactly.  Too many bad apples.

We should switch to berries... shorter shelf life, but they are sweeter.

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

There are plenty of rotten Democrats, too, of course - always have been, always will be.

That said, three top GOP 2016 hopefuls turn out to be criminals? Out of how many? Five? This is what you get when you have a political party that fetishizes snakeoil and eschews credentials.

#12 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hey, they are investigating Rick Perry too but he seems to be teflon so....

There have been Democrats convicted as well but that was yesterday's scandal and I'd have to research to find those.

Bet they all, both Democrats and Republicans, long for the days when there was no Internet or 24hour news channels.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostChakoteya, on 22 June 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

That's a very sweeping statement. Can't you even consider the possibility that a majority are okay and it is only the bad few that get all the attention?

Resspectfully, no I can't. Well, maybe a couple of the very, very, very new/low ranking/green ones do. But the political system will squeeze it out of them. One too many compromises. The idealists get weeded out very quickly.
Rejected and gone.

#14 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,348 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, no.  Me either.  The U.S. has only two political parties who ever get into office and they both suck.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm quite sure if we added more parties they'd suck too. The Tea Partiers haven't worked out too well, and aren't their own party anyway - just a subset of the Republicans whose job appears to be to say no to any legislation supported by the democrats.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,348 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

That's why I wish we could just get rid of political parties and have each candidate stand on their own merits and what not.  But that ship has sailed, sadly.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Posted Image

#17 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

^This is why I'm such a big fan of approval voting. It breaks the party system, and greatly reduces the advantage of money in elections.

#18 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,348 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I've never heard of that.  How does it work?
Posted Image

#19 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

I'm so glad you asked! :D:D:D

The fundamental problem with our system of voting, called "first past the post" or "plurality", is vote-splitting. If you add a third candidate, that candidate actually hurts the competitor they're most like. It's a whole fascinating field of study, with lots of specialized terms only some of which I understand. But the important one is that plurality is not clone-independent. If you have two candidates, and A is more popular than B, A should win. If you clone A, and have two identical copies of A running against B, one of those copies of A should still win. But that's not what happens. With more than two candidates, plurality voting breaks. It no longer represents the will of the people.

Now, if you can't hold a functional election with more than two candidates, the only sane thing to do is to form two political parties, and have primaries within those parties. And primaries can be bought much more readily than general elections. That's why we're locked into two parties, and why money dominates.

There are a lot of clone-independent voting systems out there. But approval voting is the simplest. Instead of voting for exactly one candidate, you vote for one or more candidates. If you like a third party, but don't want to split the vote away from your preferred Republican or Democrat, great, vote for both of them! If you like everyone except that one insane guy, vote for everyone except him! It's simple, trivial to implement and explain, and fixes almost everything about modern American politics. And it can be implemented locally! It's a ground-up solution that bypasses DC entirely! The only reason we use plurality voting at all is because we always have; there's no law requiring it that I've ever been able to find.

I know that for every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong. But I haven't been able to find the flaw in this one yet. :)

Check out http://www.electology.org/ and https://en.wikipedia...Approval_voting for more info, or read http://www.amazon.co...gaming the vote . I'll buy anyone who's interested a copy. :)

#20 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostOmega, on 22 June 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'm so glad you asked! :D :D:D

LOL.  This IS one of your favorite topics.  It's so cool when people really get excited about policy.  Makes me hopeful that politics in general isn't all bad.

Source:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wisconsin, Scott Walker, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users