• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

^ In the current enviroment, a few dead law enforcement officers in an incident that occured years ago probably would hardly be a blip on most peoples radars. And it would be way old news.

#42 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostDarthMarley, on 27 August 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on 22 June 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

There are plenty of rotten Democrats, too, of course - always have been, always will be.

That said, three top GOP 2016 hopefuls turn out to be criminals? Out of how many? Five? This is what you get when you have a political party that fetishizes snakeoil and eschews credentials.

So, at this point, how many of these "criminals" have had a guilty verdict returned against them?

Update: McDonnell found guilty of 11 out of 13 charges. He's going to jail. Recall that as recently as 14 months ago, he was considered a top contender for the GOP presidential nomination.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#43 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Sure wish I could find a link for that fb post that went something like Orange is the New Black for GOP Presidential Hopefuls.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#44 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

McDonnell To Lose Pension Because Of Law He Signed
http://www.theeverla...w-signed-video/

While he was in office, McDonnell signed into law, House Bill 2095:

Virginia Retirement System; loss of benefits for certain felony convictions.  Provides that a member of any of the retirement programs administered by the Virginia Retirement System forfeits his retirement benefits if it is determined that he has been convicted of a felony that arose out of misconduct in any position covered under the retirement programs administered by the Virginia Retirement System.

Now that's shooting yourself in the foot.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#45 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 04 September 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

There are plenty of rotten Democrats, too, of course - always have been, always will be.

That said, three top GOP 2016 hopefuls turn out to be criminals? Out of how many? Five? This is what you get when you have a political party that fetishizes snakeoil and eschews credentials.

So, at this point, how many of these "criminals" have had a guilty verdict returned against them?

Update: McDonnell found guilty of 11 out of 13 charges. He's going to jail. Recall that as recently as 14 months ago, he was considered a top contender for the GOP presidential nomination.

Going from memory, this was the VA gov? Yep, he looks guilty as charged.

But I find it amusing to read that those who advocate tolerance are willing to conflate indicted with convicted. Before that, they are "accused."

I get that it can be difficult to refrain from chuckling when it happens to "the other side" though.
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#46 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostNonny, on 08 September 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

McDonnell To Lose Pension Because Of Law He Signed
http://www.theeverla...w-signed-video/

While he was in office, McDonnell signed into law, House Bill 2095:

Virginia Retirement System; loss of benefits for certain felony convictions.  Provides that a member of any of the retirement programs administered by the Virginia Retirement System forfeits his retirement benefits if it is determined that he has been convicted of a felony that arose out of misconduct in any position covered under the retirement programs administered by the Virginia Retirement System.

Now that's shooting yourself in the foot.

Seems like sound policy to me. He does not deserve the pension.

#47 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 28 August 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

http://watchdog.org/...on-prosecutors/

Subpoenas also demanded the conservatives’ bank records, “emails from every major private email provider” and other information in what some have described as a mini-NSA (National Security Agency) operation in Wisconsin.

In the two months since I wrote that post? None. Justice takes time. On the other hand, Rick Perry has been indicted since then, and Bob McDonnell's trial proceeds apace. It should conclude before too much longer and it seems pretty likely he will be convicted and sent to jail.

So now it's 4 of the GOP presidential hopefuls, not 3, and let's not forget that Rand Paul has had some fairly embarrassing (if not exactly criminal) revelations re: plagiarism in his speeches.

Seems like a pretty motley crew to me. Is Jeb Bush gonna run? I think we all know the Bush Brand is still toxic on the presidential level and will be for a generation.

This is why you have Mitt Romney starting to walk back his "never!" comments on running again in 2016. "Circumstances can change," it seems - by which he means: behind the scenes, establishment Republican leaders are freaking out. Their bench is filled with unserious contenders. And they are begging Romney to run again - at least he's not under indictment! Those are the standards.

Meanwhile, on the other side, Hillary Clinton. Be afraid, GOPers. Oh? You already are? Sensible.

What happens when Dems are described as fetishists in unflattering terms around here?

The GOP does eschew credentials and does fetishize snake oil. I'm sorry if you feel personally stung by the comment, but what's true is true - see: "GOP and evolution," "GOP and climate change," "GOP and science," generally… not to mention: GOP and equal rights for LGBT people, GOP and how we would be greeted in Iraq, et al ad nauseum.

I would like to see that change, BTW. It would be nice to someday go into my polling place during a presidential election year and have an actual choice of who to vote for.

Meh. No one I know feels bothered about HRC winning the DEM primary. I think she wouold have been a better prez than Obama.
And I think she is beatable, yet if "the people" vote otherwise, those are the breaks.

The last bit seems stereotypical. I don't identify GOP, but am certainly more conservative than most other posters here.
We can talk about climate change, admit the carbon cycle is a thing, and still not see eye to eye about what to do. I have a better grasp of science than many, and from my point of view, many on the left parrot what they are told about science, but do not have any in depth knowledge about it, as conversations reveal.
And plenty of the GOP footsoldiers are just as wrong. They might parrot what their preacher or parents taught them about science rather than the last HufPo article they read that is more issue advocacy than science.

Evolution is a fair criticism. We could make plenty of Xians and Muslims uncomfortable by mocking their faith claims.
Is that the same kind of tolerance we should extend to those out of the sexual mainstream?
That is the kind of thing that gets me about the liberal response.
Certainly, we are going to think the "other side" is wrong, and sometimes for non-rational reasons.
But flipping the script is useful to prevent becoming what we hate about the "other side."

#48 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

I am not a big fan of Reason.com lately, as their writers tend to be young idiots of late, but this just crossed my feed:

http://reason.com/ar...ct-barack-obama

With his federal trial now over and former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell likely heading off to prison, the nation must now ask: Is it time to indict President Obama?
The question arises because Obama has done much of what McDonnell did, and in some cases to a greater degree. Let’s compare and contrast.

#49 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

It troubles me that big campaign donations translate into access to the candidate but let's be clear that there's a difference between campaign donations and extravagant personal "loans" and gifts given to the candidate and his wife. We typically call those bribes.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#50 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

The only real difference between what McDonnell did and what every other Washington politician does is Mcdonnell was stupid. If he'd put a little distance between the donation and the favor, he'd have been untouchable.

#51 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

I think the former VA gov is guilty, from what I have read. I expect politicians to behave better.

That said, there is a heavy flavor of "Oh, look, a Republican is up on charges! Tee-hee!" And I should probably start a thread about the case in which Dem bribery charges were quashed after a new DA got elected, who claimed the fact that the only people being charged were black Democrats meant the prosecution was racist, even though the sting targetted Republicans who didn't take the offered bribes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wisconsin, Scott Walker, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users