Veronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan Line

Veronica Mars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

After watching the Veronica Mars movie on DVD I was left wanting more. Sure, I loved that we got the movie and had a chance to see all the characters again and see Veronica back in her element but like the greedy person I am I wanted more. So when I found out that Rob Thomas was continuing the series in book form, with the help of author Jennifer Graham, I bought the book immediately.

The book picks up a short time after the movie. Keith is in recovery and hasn't been able to resume his job. Instead Veronica, along with Mac, have taken over. Keith is still against this as he wants Veronica to have a better life. Veronica is even thinking that maybe she made the wrong choice considering the lack of cases she has been getting. Then a girl goes missing during Spring Break and Sheriff Lamb refuses to investigate. The Neptune Chamber of Commerce hires Veronica to investigate because the bad publicity is hurting their bottom line. Veronica jumps at the opportunity, but the case becomes extremely personal as another girl goes missing, a girl that brings a person from Veronica's past back into her life in a big way.

I loved this book. I was a little apprehensive at first because I wasn't sure how well the show would translate to book form, but Thomas and Graham do a superb job of capturing all of the character's voices. I could see the actors saying and doing the things in this book.

I also thought that Thomas would refrain from making any big waves in the book just in case another movie or TV series materialized, but instead he went full steam ahead. While Veronica doesn't uncover anything about the corrupt Lamb, she is forced to work with him and sees just how far the corruption goes. Keith's reticence about Veronica joining him as a P.I. in Neptune is a driving force of the book, one that is resolved by the conclusion. Veronica also makes a big leap forward with another character but I don't want to spoil anything just in case someone hasn't read the book yet and wants to.

All of the characters that fans would expect to turn up do. Mac has a big part, same as Wallace. Weevil makes an appearance as does Dick. Logan has a small role since he's still out to sea. That was actually a point in the book's favor, since I am definitely not a fan of the Veronica/Logan relationship and think it should have been left dead after season 3. One character that popped up, Norris Clayton, sent me searching Wikipedia to remember who he was.

The mystery is great as well. Plenty of twists, turns, and shocks. It kept me guessing for quite a while.

I highly recommend the book to any VM fan. It's a great continuation of the series and I'm eagerly awaiting the next one due out in October. If this is the way we can see Veronica continue to do her thing than I'm there.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have just started watching this show on Netflix :)

I am about half way thru season one (around the time Logan's mother reported committed suicide).

I like that the story continues! Even though I am not looking forward towards this Logan/Veronica match up that you speak of ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

I have just started watching this show on Netflix :)

I am about half way thru season one (around the time Logan's mother reported committed suicide).

I like that the story continues! Even though I am not looking forward towards this Logan/Veronica match up that you speak of ;)

Glad you're liking the show. It's great. The first season is the best, but seasons 2 and 3 are great as well. Same with the movie. The Logan/Veronica romance works for a while but I felt it had run its course but the fans and writers kept it alive. On a show that didn't have problems killing off or ditching characters and relationships this one is basically a cockroach that won't die.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:31 AM

This is one book I may check out as an audiobook since Kristen Bell recorded the audio. Pretty cool!

http://www.randomhou...n=9780804193511

ETA: Wow, this book was written in the third person? That's a really unfortunate decision on the part of Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham. Veronica Mars should be written in first person to make it feel like she's narrating.

Edited by NeuralClone, 23 June 2014 - 01:43 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

This is one book I may check out as an audiobook since Kristen Bell recorded the audio. Pretty cool!

http://www.randomhou...n=9780804193511

ETA: Wow, this book was written in the third person? That's a really unfortunate decision on the part of Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham. Veronica Mars should be written in first person to make it feel like she's narrating.

I might have to buy my first audiobook since The Lost World.

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with it being in third person. Except for one or two times, Veronica is always the main character and we're privy to her thoughts and inner most snark.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Veronica has always been the first-person narrator of her own story. If they made the choice to write the book in third, they must have had a reason. I'd be curious what, if anything, they've had to say about that. It's an odd choice.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#7 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

BklnScott, on 24 June 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Veronica has always been the first-person narrator of her own story. If they made the choice to write the book in third, they must have had a reason. I'd be curious what, if anything, they've had to say about that. It's an odd choice.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I would have thought writing it in first person would have been a no brainer given that Veronica has always been the narrator. By switching to third person, it creates an odd disconnect that Veronica Mars has never had. If Veronica isn't the narrator, who's telling the story?
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Veronica Mars

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users