• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

After not being able to get online for a few weeks due to interr proviupted phone service, I'm finally back online, and I gotta question.

Rats in our attic have chewed through my phone line (which provides my DSL connection, as well as my POTS) only three times since I had my DSL service installed 9 years ago, but still I'm thinkin of getting a wireless connection off my mom's HughesNet.  How would I go about this? Can I just connect a wireless router to my PC via my ethernet cable?  And if so, how can I get Windows 8.1 to recognize it?

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. If your mom has a wireless router already, all you would need would be a wireless adapter for your computer. They come in various shapes and sizes. I have one that resembles a pen drive and plugs into a USB port. It came with an installation disc and all I did was follow the instructions.

Anything else, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have can help you.

#3 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Well, as I understand it, she has wireless device connected to her PC which receives the signal from the HughesNet modem in another room, but I'm not sure what her setup is as I can't physically get to the room where her PC is meaning I can't visually see her setup.

A few days ago, she did plug her wireless device into my PC's USB port...it wasn't recognized.  I'm not sure if the problem is my version of Windows, or my PC.  I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my Dell Optiplex 755 (USB version:  2.0), but something wasn't in gear.

Edited by John R. Sellers, 26 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

It probably didn't have the drivers needed to run it. I don't know how HughesNet works, but we have cable inet from our cable company. There's a modem that the cable wires are hooked to, then there's a router attached to that which receives wireless signals. That's what you need the adapter for, to get into the router which is connected to the modem.

Perhaps she can get someone in there who knows what they're doing to set you up.

#5 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

What do you mean by wireless device?  A router (typically a square box about the size of three dvd cases put together with one or two antennas coming out of the back) is typcially what you'd plug your computer into via a phone line (if it's dsl or a cable line [looks similar to a normal phone chord, but the plug is twice as wide]).

A usb chord/cable has nothing to do with these kinds of setups, unless you're trying to piggie-back a celluar/mobile phone and/or tablet (that has a paid service).  If it's the former, then that is called tethering.  Tethering basically takes a mobile phone, uses it's connection to the internet and allows the hooked up computer to access it via the phone.  A fair amount of service providers won't let you do that (say, Sprint mobile in the U.S.) unless you pay for the service.

It might seem that you're trying to do that via a wi-fi connection from your mom's room (hooked up to a modem).  In which case, it's a difficult ordeal really.  I've never done it and have read on few occassions that it takes some knowin's in order to do it.  Even with that, depending on your device, I'm not sure if you can access the internet like that, as an android (and more than likely an Apple product) would need to open an app that can serve as a translator between your computer and your mom's modem.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#6 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

:sigh:  Nevermind.  I'll just ask HughesNet directly.

#7 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

That's probably the best idea :)

Fnl, what I think he's trying to do is get his computer to link up with his mother's satellite inet. If it's anything like my cable inet, there's a modem, a router and then we use wireless adapters to connect to the router, which connects to the modem. I'm pretty sure it's something similar with satellite inet, but only HughesNet knows for sure.

#8 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostEChatty, on 27 June 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Fnl, what I think he's trying to do is get his computer to link up with his mother's satellite inet.

Correct.  POINTS!

Anyway, after researching this, I think it might be best just to stick with my current setup for now.  Only 3 major disruptions in 9  years?  Not really a bad track record.  Besides, apparently HughesNet prefers you call them rather than e-mail.  I prefer e-mail to calling or online chat.

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Even after reading the disadvantages of wireless connections, I decided to go ahead and order an adapter card just to see if I could get a signal from mom's WAP.  I just hope it doesn't interfere with my DSL connection.

Edited by John R. Sellers, 29 June 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#10 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

I don't see how it should. Just follow the instructions that come with it. With mine I had to install the drivers first, then plug it in.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users