• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

http://www.politico....nts-108347.html

Wow! I'm going to have to google to see how many times the US Supreme Court has ruled unanimously. Personally I couldn't be happier with this ruling. I LOVE that the USSC slapped down Obama's power grab, telling him essentially that he isn't a King or a God, like he thinks he is. Hell, I just might have to get drunk over this one. And I rarely drink.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

The USCC rules unanimously about half the time. The media just likes to report on the 5-4 stuff.

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

Obama believes himself to be a king or a god? More like he believes he's the President of the United States, which just happens to be one of the most powerful positions on the planet. He believes this because it's true.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

The ruling applied to only three of the recess appointments. The other part is that the recess appointments were motivated by the historic obstructionism of this congress to performing its most basic functions - like advise and consent - which was solved by enacting the nuclear option.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

They also ruled unanimously to allow the religiously intolerant to bite, kick, scratch, punch and scream straight into the faces of women seeking health care and the occasional abortion and call it prayer.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostNeuralClone, on 27 June 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Obama believes himself to be a king or a god? More like he believes he's the President of the United States, which just happens to be one of the most powerful positions on the planet. He believes this because it's true.

You're right, I really shouldn't say that since I don't KNOW how he thinks of himself. I can only go by his actions. And in 2008, as candidate Obama he gave speeches against Bush's use of executive powers, and not working with congress...The very same things he is currently doing. Too bad it isn't possible to hear what 2008 candidate Obama would have to say about 2014 President Obama.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

I fully agree that 2008 Obama and 2014 Obama are very different creatures. The Obama that tried to keep us in Iraq longer, and has violated the civil rights of Americans everywhere, is not the Obama that ran in 2008. But I disagree on the specifics in this instance.

We've seen Obama try to work with Congress. He's repeatedly handed the Republicans everything they claim to want, only to see nothing happen. You can't work with a Congress that refuses to do its job.

Given that, Obama is quite justified in trying to get things done without going through a dysfunctional congress, as long as he's exercising legitimate powers of the executive branch. I do think he crossed a line this time, and the USSC was correct in this ruling. There are limits to the power of the executive, any executive, and I'm glad to see them enforced.

Edited by Omega, 27 June 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

The larger nonpartisan question here is - should we support efforts to diminish the power of the executive in some areas? Should the presidency be reduced to sonething akin to a prime minister role? With impeachment as the vote of no confidence?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Won't work as long as you have two houses, each with legitimate power, and often controlled by opposing factions. Without a strong executive to cut through the bull, NOTHING would be accomplished, as anything that passed one house and was seen as partisan would be stopped in the other one.

It works in the UK because the House of Lords is essentially neutered. Sure they can object to stuff that happens in the HoP, but ultimately they can strip any changes the House of Lords makes back out again and carry on.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 27 June 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostNeuralClone, on 27 June 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

You're right, I really shouldn't say that since I don't KNOW how he thinks of himself. I can only go by his actions. And in 2008, as candidate Obama he gave speeches against Bush's use of executive powers, and not working with congress...The very same things he is currently doing. Too bad it isn't possible to hear what 2008 candidate Obama would have to say about 2014 President Obama.

Pretty much what every politician discovers once they get themselves elected into the top job - that the political realities trump their electoral aspirations every time.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#11 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

I wish I could give this ^^^^ more Karma.  

Because that is essentially the truth.  Reality often clashes with intentions and declarations of  When I Am Elected I Will Do  or Not Do (fill in the blank)

Obama has bent over backwards in the past with the Republicans in Congress.  In fact, he has tried too hard to compromise only to have them get even more stubborn.  I swear he could say okay to all that they have asked for in the past--smaller government, etc--- only to have them say they want the opposite now. :rolleyes:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostNonny, on 27 June 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

They also ruled unanimously to allow the religiously intolerant to bite, kick, scratch, punch and scream straight into the faces of women seeking health care and the occasional abortion and call it prayer.

I assume they can't actual assault people while 'practicing' their free speech. This seems similar to a ruling a couple years ago regarding the West Boro Baptist protesting at funerals.

Has anyone every tried to charge abortion clinic protestor with harassment? I understand that perhaps some places the definitions of harassment would only include repeat behaviour on the same person/group. And while the patients may be a 'group' they aren't a organized identifiable group generally consisting of the same people. Thought corporations are people now aren't they... ;) Also, it doesn't have to be a patient that charges harassment, or are the protestors careful not to target the employees of these clinics?

I could understand how some people would argue that most protests could be constrewed as harassment and one has to watch the precedent one is setting. But most protests end, when either the protestors feel satisfied they have been heard and/or given up ;) Abortion clinic protestors are typically present every working day, aren't they? Are there any other similar protests going on with that kind of?

In some places one needs to apply for a permit for protests, correct? I would hope this is not so officials can squash free speech, but so that they can assess and determine what the permit to consist of to ensure people's safety. They may decide on a buffer (or route), especially if there are two 'opposing' groups. Or they made decide a recommend a police presence.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 27 June 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

I assume they can't actual assault people while 'practicing' their free speech.

You would be wrong.  They can and do bite, kick, scratch, punch and scream straight into the faces of people attempting to enter, and they get away with calling it prayer.

Has anyone every tried to charge abortion clinic protestor with harassment?

Of course.  It never sticks, because prayer.

Also, it doesn't have to be a patient that charges harassment, or are the protestors careful not to target the employees of these clinics?

Some of them are careful to target the employees for murder.

I could understand how some people would argue that most protests could be constrewed as harassment and one has to watch the precedent one is setting. But most protests end, when either the protestors feel satisfied they have been heard and/or given up ;) Abortion clinic protestors are typically present every working day, aren't they? Are there any other similar protests going on with that kind of?

They seem to have endless time to pursue the forcing of their beliefs on everybody else.

In some places one needs to apply for a permit for protests, correct? I would hope this is not so officials can squash free speech, but so that they can assess and determine what the permit to consist of to ensure people's safety. They may decide on a buffer (or route), especially if there are two 'opposing' groups. Or they made decide a recommend a police presence.

The buffer zone is what SCOTUS just stole from us.  Ironically, SCOTUS has a buffer zone of their own, the same size as the one they just stole.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostNonny, on 27 June 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 27 June 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

I assume they can't actual assault people while 'practicing' their free speech.

You would be wrong.  They can and do bite, kick, scratch, punch and scream straight into the faces of people attempting to enter, and they get away with calling it prayer.

Has anyone every tried to charge abortion clinic protestor with harassment?

Of course.  It never sticks, because prayer.

I lost my original post were I specified they can't "legally" do so. As in, it would be a crime generally called assault. Have they been charged with assault and gotten away with it due to declaring their actions "prayer"?!

Also, it doesn't have to be a patient that charges harassment, or are the protestors careful not to target the employees of these clinics?

Some of them are careful to target the employees for murder.

I know that a few self-declared pro-life people deserve the title of murderer instead. Or even terrorist. I have been reading up more on this particular decision and thought you might like this pro-choice opinion piece:

http://www.deathandt...ortion-clinics/

Though if we continue this topic we might just want to start a separate thread :)

Edited by sierraleone, 27 June 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 27 June 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I lost my original post were I specified they can't "legally" do so. As in, it would be a crime generally called assault. Have they been charged with assault and gotten away with it due to declaring their actions "prayer"?!
Yes, over and over and over.

I have been reading up more on this particular decision and thought you might like this pro-choice opinion piece:

http://www.deathandt...ortion-clinics/

Excellent piece.  Thanks for posting.

As horrifying as this is, it's the fact that it was unanimous that upsets me most.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SCOTUS, Recess Appointments, Obama, 2014

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users