Details in this thread

Games You Play To Relax

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'm playing Spider-Man: Web of Shadows right now and I'm finding myself spending a lot of the game just swinging around New York and beating up random bad thugs. It's fun, and also kind of relaxing. I could see myself just playing the game to unwind after a long day just to web-swing.

I also like to play any kind of beat 'em up action game if I've dealt with rude, annoying people. It's fun to load up one of the Devil May Cry games and just beat the crap out of demons left and right.

So are there games that anyone else plays to relax? It doesn't have to be console/computer games. Maybe chess or checkers or solitaire hits the right spot for someone.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

Borderlands 2 or Guild Wars 2 for me.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

Pinball FX. Some of the tables are high stress, but on a number of them I can get into a groove keeping balls going for quite a while. Ms. Splosion Man being a weird hybrid, I can keep a ball in play quite a while, but actually completing the missions is hard.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Star Trek Online. Right now there's a Summer Event going on at Risa and one of the games is a Horga'hn hunt where you float around with a floater strapped to your back, hunting the little statues. Then there's the Dance Party where you do the dances that the Instructor calls out and the daily roller coaster mission called Flying High, where you fly around on holographic courses

All of that is very mindless and relaxing. And if I don't want to play any of the games I'll just float around with my floater or fly around the water on my powerboard.

#5 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

I love this PS3 game called Journey. It is incredibly relaxing and calming while building tension, curiosity and having its thrilling moments at the same time.

Not sure the beta gameplay trailer does it justice but I would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Balthamos, 29 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hearthstone. It's a fun, free, uncomplicated timewaster

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Borderlands 2 is no longer relaxing for me since I started playing on Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode (basically "new game plus plus"). Enemies scale to your level and pack an absolutely insane punch. I've lost about $10 million in a matter of days due to dying so much. It's a good thing that isn't real money or I probably would have had a stroke by now. :p :lol:

Edited by NeuralClone, 05 July 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

^Sad. I don't think my friend has started Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode but I'm sure once she does I'll be hearing all about it. Guess you need to find a new relaxing game.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode has gotten a little better now that I've had some better stuff drop for me. Going from the previous difficulty to UVHM is pretty brutal at first. You simply don't have the health, shields, or weapon damage to make much of a dent in enemies. Now that I have some really good sniper rifles, I can take on almost anything solo as long as I have cover and room to maneuver. Boss fights are another story, though. Those seem to be balanced for at least 2 players. 4 is ideal. Since I'm primarily setup as a sniper, it's very difficult to rally off of enemy kills due to not being able to hit anything from such a distance. So if I go down, I pretty much have to take the money penalty and respawn. Thankfully money isn't a huge issue on the harder difficulty settings. You can get millions in a fairly short period of time.

Still, if I want the game to be relaxing, I pretty much have to play on True Vault Hunter Mode. But then I can't advance because enemies don't give nearly enough experience. #FirstWorldProblems

Edited by NeuralClone, 05 July 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Call of Duty, although I've sort of stopped playing it since it's become so "camper" friendly with the maps. GTA 5 was good. But really any good "Shoot enemies in the face" or "beat them to a pulp" type game is good for relaxing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users