• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

Type the single word Chakoteya into your favourite search engine, and the top of the page has my URL - claiming to be an online shoe shop!
Click the link and you get wizzed off to http://www.louboutinsshops.com/
This has resulted in me regularly being contacted and told I've been hacked. I haven't.

How do we get this to stop? I keep reporting it to the search engines, but nothing has happened and none of their reps ever get back to me.
Perhaps if everyone were to complain to them?
Suggestions, please.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Wow, it starts to go to your site, and then it redirects.  :o

I wonder if it is not the search engine, but some other process for redirecting URLs that is going on?  :think:  You need someone who knows more about it than me to help you though.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think you *have* been hacked. There's a nasty little redirect script right above the "head" tags on your top-level index page which seems to send visitors off to the scam site if they've clicked on your homepage link from a variety of search engines. I'd delete that asap and report it to your host,and change all your passwords for your host as well [and any other sites you've used the same ones for].

Dave.

#4 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm looking at the html of the index page file on my PC, and there is no redirect above the head tags. That's the file I upload to my host when I change anything on it.
What you are looking at in the page source online is scary. It is not coming from me.
I'll see what my hosting service has to say about it.

#5 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Well, I've changed all my website user IDs and passwords (and recovery hints) - they were all unique anyway. The hosting service is trying to blame my old HTML coding for being 'vulnerable to hacking' although how it can be hacked within milliseconds of uploading a clean file I have no idea.

#6 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Glad you've changed all that! Your hosting service isn't very customer-centric it seems,but sadly the problem isn't fixed and has been there for a while,since Google indexed the infected page in January.

I looked into it a bit further and here's what's interesting - the hacked page is NOT your "index.html" page but some other default page which loads when somebody just types in http://www.chakoteya.net. (or comes via google) It looks like the host serves a default page that isn't called "index.html" [they should,by convention,but not all do] but when someone types in http://www.chakoteya.net/index.html they get the right page. The infected page has a length of 7666 bytes compared to 7540 bytes for the real "index.html" page. You might have a setting in your control panel for "default index page" or something,but you need to get back to them if you can't see where the problem is.

Dave.

#7 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Well, it turned out that there were two sneaky hidden asp files scattered around the site. One was latching onto the main index page, and the other to a subsection index page. They managed to delete the second, but the first has had to be renamed by a super-techy because it resisted all deletion methods. (I suspect a large hammer would have done it, but the owners of the  other websites hosted on the server might have been upset about us doing that.) Until that was done, all you got was a page complaining about asp error 166, it couldn't find its twin file. HA!
Anyway, the upshot is that thanks to the lovely Steven up in Glasgow, I am now back and clean. We also know what to look for if that nasty Chinese company manages to sneak stuff back on again.

Meanwhile, I have a new HTML editor to get used to, and to plough through 1230 pages doing edits to update the code and hopefully ward the bad guys off for a while.
Oh, the perils of being a popular website.....

#8 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 682 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Glad you got it sorted at last!

Dave.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users