Doctor Who Enemy of the World Web of Fear Lost Episodes Recovered Episodes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,927 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

As we had heard, the BBC had recovered some lost episodes of the second Doctor (Patrick Troughton's) run, among these were "The Enemy of the World" and "Web of Fear".

Well, since they've been released on DVD and are now available I picked them up.

What I discovered is that the ending of "The Enemy of the World" fed directly into the "Web of Fear" which was somewhat unusual.  The only other time I could recall something like that occurring was with the "Ark in Space" and the "Sontaran Experiment."  Admittedly, nowadays it seems to be a fairly common practice since RTD and Moffat took over the series.

Anyhow, I thought "Enemy of the World" was the stronger of the two storylines.  In it, the Doctor finds that he is the exact (save for voice) copy of the would be ruler of the world.  The thing is, while there were good people in this world, none of the principals on either side of the conflict would qualify, and this is the first time I had actually seen the Doctor refuse to act without more information.

In this episode we see Patrick Troughton play a very different character from the Doctor in the form of Salamander, the titular Enemy of the World, which proved to be an eye-opener to those who've only seen him play the Doctor.

This presented an interesting conundrum, as the picture wasn't all that clear, and it isn't until the fourth chapter do we discover just what is happening, leading to interesting developments in the final chapters.  There was plenty of intrigue, with all too many people having their own agenda, while all too few could be categorized as altruistic, and we're there with the Doctor trying to figure out the good guys from the bad, as they didn't have signs to help identify them.  

The action is set in Australia and Eurasia, with the characters rocketing all over the globe, as well as underground.

All in all, it was an interesting exploration about responsibility and power, and how those who often desire the latter are normally without a sense of the former.

Immediately following this episode is "Web of Fear" which is notable for its introduction of Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (a personal favorite of mine).  Here Professor Travers (returning from a previous episode set some 40 years previously, "Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen") accidentally awakens an ancient menace which promptly proceeds to attempt to take over London.

Most of the action is set in the London Tubes (subway) against an ever encrouching menace that our gang accidentally materializes among.  Here the toll is rather high amongst the extras, and there is a lot of to and fro-ing in the tunnels as characters enter and exit at the slightest provocation, and their is a notably frustrating lack of coordinating action.  Admittedly, this is understandable as the CO has died, and command has devolved unto his XO who is looking at a situation that has consistently gone from bad to worse.

Lethbridge-Stewart is given a hero's introduction about mid-way through the series, as he is the sole survivor of the relief column to make it through, and he starts to get things whipped into shape.

There were a number of callbacks to the previous episode in which the Yeti appeared, but the threat had since evolved beyond the character's expectation.  Something I thought was interesting, and apparently was a recurring motif during Troughton's run when he'd return to near-contemporary/present day Earth, was references to earlier adventures.

As I viewed them back to back I found "Web of Fear" to be the weaker of the pair, as its plots seemed far less focused and its threat more abstract than in the previous story "Enemy of the World."

Still, I feel both stories deserve viewing for they are entertaining, and while the pacing in these six-parters is more deliberate, it does help to allow time to develop the supporting cast and give the audience time to ponder the mystery being presented to them.

My Final Rating:  OK (Wow, OK, Eh, Sigh, Blech)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

The early Hartnell stories used to melt into each other, so the fact that Enemy's ending led directly into Web's stat was no real surprise, however I watched themm in reverse order. Enemy was was the better ofthe two stories Troughton's double act was amazing and I loved the Doctor's romp in the ocean at the start of the story. It's a shame that ep. 3 of Web is till missing, but then theactual meeting of the Doctor and the :Lethbridge-Stewart has never in the televised version anyway.

Still it's great that these stories are more less intact and on DVD, it's a shame the DVD releases are devoid of extras. And we're all still awaiting possible word of more discoveries by Philli Morris but no luck so far.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,927 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

^^^ I did not know that.  Having only seen "The Tenth Planet," I was unaware of the practice during Hartnell's run.

I am sorry that "Web of Fear" contented itself with stills for episode 3 while the audio played, as opposed to the Flash Animation they used in "Invasion" and "The Tenth Planet".  But given that "The Tenth Planet" was initially issued with stills instead of animation, maybe there is hope that a future release of "Web of Fear" will have animation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

^The animation is pretty expensive, which is why it hasn't been done very often.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostG-man, on 13 July 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

^^^ I did not know that.  Having only seen "The Tenth Planet," I was unaware of the practice during Hartnell's run.

I am sorry that "Web of Fear" contented itself with stills for episode 3 while the audio played, as opposed to the Flash Animation they used in "Invasion" and "The Tenth Planet".  But given that "The Tenth Planet" was initially issued with stills instead of animation, maybe there is hope that a future release of "Web of Fear" will have animation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

There's no reason for you to apologize, but there is a rumor that ep. three is still out there and might be included in a rerelease, But then we're still awaiting word from the BBC or Phillip Morris about what all he's supposed found.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, Enemy of the World, Web of Fear, Lost Episodes, Recovered Episodes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users