Teen Wolf: The Benefactor

Teen Wolf

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

If there is one thing that Teen Wolf is good at, it's giving fans 'Oh my God I can't believe that happened" moments and this episode had that in spades.

Seeing Liam tied up and gagged in Scott's bathtub was so hilarious. That entire scene was, with Stiles saying Liam might die and both boys just messing up the entire thing. Oh, and then later when Kira was walking down the steps doing her thing and then trips and falls flat on her face. Hilarious.

So Liam's best friend Garrett and his Malia are assassins. That took me completely by surprise. I really hope they get some horrible deaths. The Mute sure did. Peter ripped him apart. At least the sheriff tried to arrest him.

Speaking of, one thing I hate about this show is how they will just skip over a scene and not really fill in all the blanks. We see Peter get attacked, and then later he's fine and no mention of what happened. Is the Mute dead? Did he run away? Sure we find out eventually but it was just not a good way to handle that.

So is Derek Batman now? He's helping the sheriff and appeared on the roof quietly and quickly. I have to admit Stilinski and Derek make a good team.

Really thought Parish was going to be let in on the secret/reveal his secret this episode but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Argent made a pretty badass return blasting Liam and all dressed in black. Good to see him back. Though how he knew about Liam and where to find Scott will probably never be explained.

Stiles finally gets serious about his nogitsune possession with Malia. He knew everything that he was doing and he liked it. At least it was able to help Malia control her transformation.

So Lydia and her mom are having money troubles too? I wonder why. I like that the characters still freak out about things like that. They may be supernatural creatures but they are still teenagers. Mason is pretty crappy though. He promises to go get cleaning supplies for Lydia and then never returns.

Liam has anger issues. Not surprising. I wonder what that teacher did to deserve his car getting smashed like that. Considering he wrote, "This is your fault" on the side and that's what he was yelling at Scott, there has to be a story there.

I think I'm really going to like this Scott/Liam relationship. It's Scott's first true beta and Liam is in pretty much the same position that Scott was in. Liam does have better help considering Scott is a much better alpha than Peter was.

The password for the dead list is Allison. That can't be good. Wonder if the Benefactor is Gerard. He would know probably know about the Hale vault under the school and he would have a reason to go after supernatural creatures. Though that seems like too easy of an answer. Maybe Allison being the password is there to throw people off.

This season has been on a role. It just keeps getting better. At this rate season four might be the best yet.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Great episode.  They are just nailing the return to comedy this season.  The opener with Liam is utterly classic.  I especially cracked up at Stiles being all offended - "Liam, what the hell is your problem?" - after they've kidnapped the kid, tied him up, and told him he's probably gonna die...  And Scott trying a page out of Derek's playbook with the lurking and the cheezy "we're brothers now" lines.  ROFL.

(Scott actually seemed to be on a good line of thought in the opening before Stiles' lack of brain-to-mouth filter derailed things.)

On the more dramatic note, the scene between Scott & Liam at the end really cemented my love of the newbie.  For all his attitude, he's just a kid who's trying not to be a screw-up, and Scott is the ideal person to help him work through that, both as an alpha and a friend/big-brother.  I really love how Scott has been coming into his own as the heroic center of the show.

Speaking of, one thing I hate about this show is how they will just skip over a scene and not really fill in all the blanks.
Agreed.  That thing with Peter and the Mute was particularly egregious.  Between his magical jump from dire peril to "Oh, bother, someone stuck an axe in me" and his out-of-nowhere arrival to take out the Mute instead of letting him get arrested, it feels almost like a setup for revealing Peter is involved with the Benefactor.  Not sure that was the intended subtext. :p

So Lydia and her mom are having money troubles too?
Was this mentioned in the spilled-wine scene?  There was apparently a technical glitch for some people (including me) where the dialogue of that scene wasn't audible.  (Though the music and ambient sounds were present.)  It's funny how it happened on one of the only characters/scenes where you genuinely couldn't tell if it was intentional or not... I just thought it was a new way of showing Lydia distracted by banshee powers.

Bullet points:
- The reveal on Garrett and Violet is a great twist.  He's been the newbie whose casting I've been most skeptical of.  He just wasn't ringing quite true as a high school student for me last week (I think the actor's accent is too posh or something.  I thought he must be British and just not doing a good job with the American accent, at first.)... now that I know they were casting not just for a bratty freshman, but a bratty freshman who KILLS PEOPLE, that's much better.

- Though, dude, adding to my Tyler/Tyler/Dylan/Dylan issues, we now have Mason-the-character/Mason-the-actor to further confuse the heck out of me when looking at cast lists of who's appearing on those after-after-after shows.  I think they're doing it on purpose at this point.  :)

- I agree it seems too easy for Gerard to be the Benefactor, but I do like the idea of it being him.  With how important the Argents have been in the show, it'd be a nice full circle to have one more round of Argents as Big Bad... and a Gerard/Kate Big Bad combo sounds delicious.  (I'm also a little concerned that they're going to run out of stuff for Chris Argent to do, and this would make a nice finale for his character arc, if he's expected to be cut back in future seasons.)  That said, you'd think Scott & co. would have higher numbers on the dead-list if Gerard were behind it?

- I have to laugh that we got moments regarding both Allison and Stiles' feelings on the nogitsune this week.  It's like they purposefully avoided bringing those up just long enough to psych the fandom into thinking they were going to sweep that stuff under the rug... and then Bam! Nope, it's still there.  Jeff Davis gets a lot of grief from certain corners of fandom, but I'm developing a level of trust in him this season that is surprising me.  Also, "What are you now?  ...Better?"  Great line.

- It's interesting that we apparently have another werewolf family in Beacon Hills with their own little control mantra.  I wonder if we'll get more info on who they are, or if they're just meant to be faceless assassin-fodder?

(Sorry for length.  I'm still fairly new to the show and this is the first series I've been this excited about in a long time.  :p )
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

(Sorry for length.  I'm still fairly new to the show and this is the first series I've been this excited about in a long time.  :p )

Never apologize for writing a lot. I'm glad that you're loving the show and wanting to talk about it. The more the merrier.

The opener with Liam is utterly classic.  I especially cracked up at Stiles being all offended - "Liam, what the hell is your problem?" - after they've kidnapped the kid, tied him up, and told him he's probably gonna die...  And Scott trying a page out of Derek's playbook with the lurking and the cheezy "we're brothers now" lines.  ROFL.

Totally agree. This show has done some great comedic moments but that opening with Liam tied up and Scott and Stiles just messing up the explanation was one of the best. Seriously, if I had been drinking anything at the moment when Scott pulled back the shower curtain to reveal a tied up Liam I would have spit it out from laughter.

On the more dramatic note, the scene between Scott & Liam at the end really cemented my love of the newbie.  For all his attitude, he's just a kid who's trying not to be a screw-up, and Scott is the ideal person to help him work through that, both as an alpha and a friend/big-brother.  I really love how Scott has been coming into his own as the heroic center of the show.

Same here. I am really interested to see how this relationship develops over the season, and hopefully over the next few seasons. I love that Scott is becoming the hero and all around great guy. He may not be the smartest guy ever and he may not be the coolest, but he truly wants what's best for everyone. If this was a superhero show, he'd be Superman.

Agreed.  That thing with Peter and the Mute was particularly egregious.  Between his magical jump from dire peril to "Oh, bother, someone stuck an axe in me" and his out-of-nowhere arrival to take out the Mute instead of letting him get arrested, it feels almost like a setup for revealing Peter is involved with the Benefactor.  Not sure that was the intended subtext. :p

I didn't think about that but it's possible Peter is working with the Benefactor. He got away too easily from the Mute and then tore him up. Maybe so he wouldn't "talk?" Or maybe Peter just wanted to send a message to any other would be assassins.

Was this mentioned in the spilled-wine scene?  There was apparently a technical glitch for some people (including me) where the dialogue of that scene wasn't audible.  (Though the music and ambient sounds were present.)  It's funny how it happened on one of the only characters/scenes where you genuinely couldn't tell if it was intentional or not... I just thought it was a new way of showing Lydia distracted by banshee powers.

It was. Lydia spills the wine and starts freaking out. Mason asks if it is expensive. Lydia replies that nothing in that room is worth anything. She just needs everything to be spotless and clean because she and her mother are selling the place and need to get every penny out of it they can so everything has to be pristine. Mason then says he will go get some club soda. After he leaves the noise cuts out until Lydia opens the door and hears the party going full swing. She then closes the door and all noise stops. Strange that some people had a glitch there.

Though, dude, adding to my Tyler/Tyler/Dylan/Dylan issues, we now have Mason-the-character/Mason-the-actor to further confuse the heck out of me when looking at cast lists of who's appearing on those after-after-after shows.  I think they're doing it on purpose at this point.  :)

Yeah that's going to get confusing. I usually just think of Dylan Sprayberry as young Clark Kent myself to avoid confusion. But having an actor named Mason playing best friends with a character named Mason is going to take some getting used to. I almost got their names confused a few times.

- I agree it seems too easy for Gerard to be the Benefactor, but I do like the idea of it being him.  With how important the Argents have been in the show, it'd be a nice full circle to have one more round of Argents as Big Bad... and a Gerard/Kate Big Bad combo sounds delicious.  (I'm also a little concerned that they're going to run out of stuff for Chris Argent to do, and this would make a nice finale for his character arc, if he's expected to be cut back in future seasons.)  That said, you'd think Scott & co. would have higher numbers on the dead-list if Gerard were behind it?

After I thought about Gerard, I then thought that maybe they're bringing Mama Argent back. Pretty much every other dead villain has returned to life so why not her? But you're right. If this was one of the Argents you would think that Scott and his friends would be higher on the list.

I could see Argent sticking around to help Scott out since Scott was Allison's first love. I would hate to have him leave the show but this could be a way to, as you said, give him a nice send-off.

Jeff Davis gets a lot of grief from certain corners of fandom, but I'm developing a level of trust in him this season that is surprising me.  Also, "What are you now?  ...Better?"  Great line.

I'm going to go on a little rant now so I apologize. I really hate how some of this fandom treats Jeff Davis and the show in general. I get that a lot of people want more gay characters and more screen time for Danny. Honestly, I think the show is doing fine in that regard. While Danny isn't a main character, he's gotten a decent amount of screen time and had a relationship with Ethan throughout season 3. Now we have Mason as another out gay character. So that's three gay characters that have gotten (or will get in the case of Mason) plenty of screen time. Yet the fandom thinks Davis owes them more and more gay characters and relationships. I just don't get it.

Same with the shippers. I've seen Sterek shippers say they are going to leave the show because it's obvious Davis won't let Stiles and Derek be together. No offense to any Sterek shipper, but that was obvious from day one. They aren't into each other. One is a grown man on the show while the other is a teenager. Derek has been abusive to Stiles in the past. I think the two characters can be fun together, but it's never been even hinted at that these two would ever get together. I have no problem with people shipping the two characters, but it should have been apparent that the show never had a plan to get the two to hook up and just because Sterek has taken off doesn't mean the show owes it to the fans to have them hook up.

Tyler Posey once responded about Sterek that he didn't really get it and found it strange or odd or creepy (and when you view at as an older guy who generally beats up the teenage boy then yeah it can be kind of creepy) and that Teen Wolf wasn't about Sterek the fandom attacked him. What he said probably could have been phrased better but the vitriol that was sent his way by some members of the fandom went way too far.

Okay, rant over.

- It's interesting that we apparently have another werewolf family in Beacon Hills with their own little control mantra.  I wonder if we'll get more info on who they are, or if they're just meant to be faceless assassin-fodder?

I hope we see more of them. They probably will just be assassin fodder unfortunately but it's nice to see other werewolves living normal lives in the town.

I'm really interested to see what other assassins show up. The Mute is dead. Garrett and Violet are out there and have all ready scored a kill. Who else will turn up to claim the prize?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

OK, Derek is definitely trying out for the Batman role. LOL. His sudden appearance was so Batmanish it wasn't even funny.

Scott kidnapping Liam, duck taping him and putting him in his bathroom...just too funny. As was the noises Liam made after hearing Stiles say: This isn't going to end with us burying parts of him in the desert, is it?" Stiles really does need to work on that filter between his brain and mouth....LOL. But I hope he doesn't, it provides some of the best comedy.

Kira's whole diva strut ending with a face plant...LMAO priceless.

Why didn't Scott Alpha up when trying to stop Liam????

The password to the death list being Allison.....absolutely NO good is coming from THAT. It does seem like a easy out, having the Benefactor being Gerard; but it also does make the most sense.

I also experienced the sound glitch between Lydia and that other guy, but I thought it had something to do with her Banshee powers or something.

Anyone else find it a tad bit suspicious that Parish knew all about the device the creepy mute assassin used? I'll have to double check, but I don't think his name was on the death list. Speaking of the creepy mute assassin...he certainly didn't last long at all. I was kind of annoyed with how they just dropped the whole thing after he impaled Peter with the tomahawk, and the next time we see Peter he is getting the Wolfsbane burned out. His comment about being able to handle a little fire was too funny, especially when Derek used the zippo to ignite the blow torch...Peter's face. ROFLMAO.

Unless Argent brought other hunters with him, I don't see how Liam wound up surrounded by the noise generators.

And now we come to the teenage assassins....So didn't see that twist coming. Also didn't see the beer delivery guy being a werewolf either. How he remained undetected by either Scott, Derek or Peter is beyond me.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

I really hate how some of this fandom treats Jeff Davis and the show in general.
Yeah, parts of the fandom are a little crazy.  I've been hanging out on tumblr a fair bit because the gifs there are just the thing for wallowing in a shiny new-to-me fandom, but man, if I pay too much attention to the text posts, I start losing my faith in humanity.  So much willingness to interpret every little offhand comment by actors or creatives as some deep, soul-crushing diss to the entire fan-base.

My impression is that there's a lot of overlap between the "more gay representation" crowd and the Sterek crowd.  In particular, a lot of people seem to be really invested in wanting Stiles to be canonically bi, whether Sterek is involved or not.  To that crowd, Danny/Ethan, Mason, and all of the other casual inclusivity in the show doesn't count because they're not "main characters".  (i.e. they're not Stiles).  So much kerfuffle over a show that's been more easygoing and fan-servicey towards fannish kookiness than just about any other I've seen (the promos Dylan O'Brien and Tyler Hoechlin did where they're "on a ship"? Precious.)  (Well, any one that doesn't involve Misha Collins, anyway.  He's a one-man fan-service team on his own.  :p)

Anyone else find it a tad bit suspicious that Parish knew all about the device the creepy mute assassin used?
Everything about Parrish is suspicious in the most laid-back, adorable way possible.  :)  What jumped out at me was the mention of him working with I.E.D.'s, and the title for next week's episode is also I.E.D.   I really hope he doesn't turn out to somehow be a bad guy.  They've made it too obvious there's something going on with him to make him an effective suprise-baddie.

Why didn't Scott Alpha up when trying to stop Liam????
I wondered that, too.  I think it had to be a conscious choice by the writers, since he didn't wolf out at all the entire episode, even when it would've been the quickest way to show Liam what was going on.  My take is it was emphasizing Scott's humanity and desire to connect without the brute force methods?  With the "you're still human" line from Stiles last week, that seems like it might be a running theme for the season.  (Though, of course, without Argent to get Liam to stop, it wouldn't have worked, so  *shrug*.)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Teen Wolf

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users