Teen Wolf: I.E.D

Teen Wolf

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think I'm going to have to watch this episode again to get a better sense of it. I liked it, but the episode felt incomplete. When it ended I was shocked. It seemed like there should be more, and the final scene was a little lackluster.

So those numbers were a little misleading. Scott's actually worth 25 million. I shouldn't be glad about that, but considering he's a true alpha he should be worth more.

Whoever the Benefactor is he seems to be targeting our gang. Allison unlocked part of the list, and now Aiden has unlocked more. Both of them were close to the gang and are dead. I wonder who the third name could be? I don't think anyone else has really lost anyone close to them.

I figured that there had to be a twist with who Garrett and Violet were going after. They never named Liam specifically and just kept referring to the beta. Didn't think it would be Brett though. While I thought he was a jerk and wanted Liam to put the beat-down on him, I didn't want to see him die.

Violet trying to decapitate Scott and him just calmly snapping the garrotte and then shoving her against the wall was just so awesome. It was a great alpha moment. The look on her face was priceless. Now they just need to go after Garrett.

I wonder where Garrett came from if he gave a fake address to Liam. He, Violet, Liam, and Mason seemed pretty buddy buddy last episode, and Liam and Mason are best friends.

Loved the scene where Mason was checking Brett out while Liam was saying that he could take him. Mason's line that Liam could take Brett and then give him to Mason was classic. Really funny.

It looks like we might see different assassins every couple of episodes. I like that approach. Keeps things fresh while we have the Benefactor as the main bad guy.

Derek is losing his powers. Did not see that coming. It explains why his eyes changed color. He's becoming a normal human. Let's hope it's reversible.

Liam has major anger control issues. Not surprising given what we know about him but it's worse than what I thought. Scott's going to have his hands full.

The lacrosse scenes were good but I was having trouble keeping track of who was who. That's not normally a problem but it was this episode. It was a little too hectic. Loved that Kira made a shot even if she did get benched for it.

We now have official confirmation that Parish is a supernatural creature, though we don't know what he is.

I really hope Lydia gets a better hang of her banshee powers. Poor girl is going to go crazy if she can't control them somehow. That's how Meredith ended up.

The ending with Araya and Chris was just really random. Is she trying to convince him to hunt any supernatural creature or to go after Kate or to go after Scott? I don't see what having him repeat the code does. It was just a random scene to end on. I guess it's supposed to be an ominous thing that Chris repeated the code but I don't see him going psycho on everyone.

So Beacon Hills might be small, but Beacon County is pretty large. That could explain why there are so many supernatural creatures and yet no one really seems to know about them.

You'd think Kira's dad would be a little bit more concerned about Kira mentioning the dead list and assassins and murders. Hopefully we see both of Kira's parents respond to this in another episode.

I don't know. I just didn't love this episode like I did the last couple. There was a lot of good stuff here but I just felt like it didn't completely gel together. Definitely have to re-watch it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

I loved Stiles's line to Scott: "Great, you gave Super Powers to a walking time bomb." LOL.

Garrett's line to Violet about Scott being targeted by an entire Alpha Pack and being the only one left standing...not completely true, but it was a cool line none the less.

I was surprised by the twist with who Garrett was targeting, didn't see it coming. Mainly because when Scott and Stiles stopped Liam from attacking him when they first arrived, I'd figure that Scott, at least, would've detected the scent of another werewolf when he was that close. And as for these other werewolves that have been killed...the beer keg guy, the girl this episode, and the beta on the other team (although he isn't dead yet)...there has to be another Alpha turning them. And both the beer keg guy and girl in the beginning were repeating the same chant. And if I'm not mistaken it was the same chant young Derek used. Interesting.

Scott just yanking off that thermal necklace and slamming Violet into the wall, knocking her out...Absolutely priceless. Scott is definitely getting some of his Alpha Strength finally. And Derek loosing his powers....very very interesting. If his powers are going, my question is: Going where? or rather...to Who? And I don't think any good is going to come from the answer to that question.

So we now have confirmation Parrish is Supernatural. But a Supernatural what???? I really don't think he's a werewolf. Scott and Derek have both been close enough to Parrish to smell that. So I'm wonder what kind of creature he is?

edited to add:

I also don't get the whole making Argent repeat the code. Argent isn't going to target Scott, I don't think. Araya, OTOH, probably will go after Scott.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 21 July 2014 - 10:54 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

^ The chant was different - chibi!Derek's was "Alpha, Beta, Omega" (or some variation of those three) - but it clearly serves a similar purpose as a mantra for focus/control.  It also gives a clear sense in minimal screen-time of these wolves likely being part of a peaceful family like the Hales, rather than ferals who the assassins might be justified in putting down.  Clever.

Scott's alpha moment was epic.  I also loved the locker-room scene earlier with Derek being so amused by bb!Liam (He seriously came off like an adult dog humoring a puppy who thinks he's tough) and so smiling & proud of Scott.  :)   Probably my favorite scene of the episode.

The Araya thread is kinda starting to piss me off a little, tbh.  Why the heck do they care so much about what's going on in Beacon Hills?  It's not Scott & Co's fault they let Kate get away.  From the beginning, they've just kinda been dropped into the story to be cryptic and threaten-y, without ever having a clear motive beyond "Mwa-ha-ha, we're hunters, that's why.", and there's so much else going on, they seem like a needless complication every time the show up.  Also: Kinda ticked at Chris for not busting out with Allison's new code.  Her decision to change the family motto was such a lovely moment with the two of them, and it felt disrespectful and ooc for him to give in that easily, even if he was just paying lip service.

I don't know. I just didn't love this episode like I did the last couple. There was a lot of good stuff here but I just felt like it didn't completely gel together.
Yeah, me too.  It felt really rushed to me, again.  Like there's just too MUCH for them to cover.  They were pinballing all over the place from scene-to-scene, and in a few scenes, the actors seemed to be practically tripping over their lines to keep the scenes short.  I love all the plot threads they've got rolling, but I just want the individual moments to have a chance to breathe and sink in. (This being the first season I've watched live, I'm also really hating that last commercial break of the episode.  Going to commercial when there's only, like, seven minutes left in the hour is messing with my head somehow.  I end up fretting about how they can possibly fit in a good finale with so little time left, instead of just enjoying it.)

So those numbers were a little misleading. Scott's actually worth 25 million. I shouldn't be glad about that, but considering he's a true alpha he should be worth more.
Yeah, it's pretty impressive.  Including the new numbers for Noshiko & Parrish, our heroes account for a good 65% of the pot... up to 75%, if you throw in Kate's 12 million.  It kinda WOULD be nice to have at least one other unknown-to-us multi-million person show up on the list, though.  All those 250K people are automatically relegated to red shirt status now.  :)

Whoever the Benefactor is he seems to be targeting our gang. [...] I wonder who the third name could be? I don't think anyone else has really lost anyone close to them.
Yeah, this is bugging the heck out of me.  I keep thinking about a line in a previous season where someone says something about two data-points not making a pattern.  I feel like, once we know the third person (and see the rest of the list), the pattern will click into place.  Except... None of the other possible dead loved ones feel like they'd make a pattern.  Boyd or Erica? (Do we actually know what specifically happened to Erica?  Did we see a body?) Victoria Argent? Various dead Hales?  Heck, how about Claudia Stilinski?  She'd at least make a pattern of "people whose deaths make Stiles feel guilty".  :p  (I'm half-expecting Stiles to be on the third section of the list as the big 'gotcha' for that segment.  I think the only other supernatural not listed so far is Malia?  Oh, and Meredith.  She's probably expendable, once she helps Lydia a bit more with her banshee mojo.)

I'm still sort of jonesing on my crack theory that Peter's playing them (especially given his kinda ominous moment in the preview scene for next week) as a bid for power.  Using Allison & Aiden to generally frell with Lydia & co's heads as an opening move seems like a very Peter-ish thing to do.  It'd certainly be interesting if Malia ISN'T on that third list...
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Garrett's line to Violet about Scott being targeted by an entire Alpha Pack and being the only one left standing...not completely true, but it was a cool line none the less.

I liked that line as well. Sure, Scott didn't really take out the alpha pack. Deucalion killed Ennis while Jennifer killed Kali and Scott and co. decided to let Deucalion live. Then Aiden was killed by the Oni. Still, an entire alpha pack did target Scott and he came away from it unharmed and as a true alpha. I'd be scared to go after him as well.

Mainly because when Scott and Stiles stopped Liam from attacking him when they first arrived, I'd figure that Scott, at least, would've detected the scent of another werewolf when he was that close.

Maybe a werewolf has to be actively sniffing to smell another werewolf? I don't know. It's one of the big things that bother me about this show. The werewolves ability to see better, smell more, and hear farther are only selectively used and almost never when they actually need them to.

So we now have confirmation Parrish is Supernatural. But a Supernatural what???? I really don't think he's a werewolf. Scott and Derek have both been close enough to Parrish to smell that. So I'm wonder what kind of creature he is?

I'm hoping we learn soon. Parish has been in two seasons so far so hopefully they won't drag it out too long.

I also don't get the whole making Argent repeat the code. Argent isn't going to target Scott, I don't think. Araya, OTOH, probably will go after Scott.

Oh yeah. Araya is going to be gunning for Scott something fierce.

I also loved the locker-room scene earlier with Derek being so amused by bb!Liam (He seriously came off like an adult dog humoring a puppy who thinks he's tough) and so smiling & proud of Scott.  :)   Probably my favorite scene of the episode.

That was a good scene though I didn't understand the point of it. Did Derek just want to meet the new beta and make him angry? Was it a test of some kind? Still, nice to see Derek interacting with the regular characters again.

The Araya thread is kinda starting to piss me off a little, tbh.  Why the heck do they care so much about what's going on in Beacon Hills?  It's not Scott & Co's fault they let Kate get away.  From the beginning, they've just kinda been dropped into the story to be cryptic and threaten-y, without ever having a clear motive beyond "Mwa-ha-ha, we're hunters, that's why.", and there's so much else going on, they seem like a needless complication every time the show up.  Also: Kinda ticked at Chris for not busting out with Allison's new code.  Her decision to change the family motto was such a lovely moment with the two of them, and it felt disrespectful and ooc for him to give in that easily, even if he was just paying lip service.

Same here. I don't mind the introduction of another hunting family since the Argents have been decimated but Araya and her hunters haven't really added anything to the show. You're right that being based in Mexico makes it a head scratcher as to why they're interested in Beacon Hills. Plus so far aside from Chris all the hunters we've met have been horrible human beings. Kate and several others burned down a house full of innocent people just because some of them were werewolves. Gerard has committed numerous sins. Victoria was willing to kill a teenage boy simply because he was a werewolf and dating her daughter. Araya and co. had one teenager torture another teenager just for fun. I seriously think we need hunters for the hunters.

And yeah, Chris saying the code was such a strange and weak moment. I was hoping he would say his new family code since Allison came up with it but no such luck.

Yeah, me too.  It felt really rushed to me, again.  Like there's just too MUCH for them to cover.  They were pinballing all over the place from scene-to-scene, and in a few scenes, the actors seemed to be practically tripping over their lines to keep the scenes short.  I love all the plot threads they've got rolling, but I just want the individual moments to have a chance to breathe and sink in.

Agreed. It's pretty much always been a Teen Wolf weakness. They throw so much stuff into the show and so many characters and plot threads that some episodes don't get the time to breathe that they need to. I think season 3 suffered from this a lot.

It kinda WOULD be nice to have at least one other unknown-to-us multi-million person show up on the list, though.  All those 250K people are automatically relegated to red shirt status now.  :)

I guess it just depends on exactly how many supernatural creatures are in Beacon Hills (the town or the county) and how powerful they are. While the wendigo family was creepy and had apparently killed a lot of people, they didn't seem too strong, at leas compared to other supernatural creatures. Scott's powerful since he's a true alpha (even though the show doesn't show us that a lot). Plus, if the Benefactor is targeting the gang for some reason, giving them a higher bounty would ensure that a lot of assassins would be gunning for them.

Yeah, this is bugging the heck out of me.  I keep thinking about a line in a previous season where someone says something about two data-points not making a pattern.  I feel like, once we know the third person (and see the rest of the list), the pattern will click into place.  Except... None of the other possible dead loved ones feel like they'd make a pattern.  Boyd or Erica? (Do we actually know what specifically happened to Erica?  Did we see a body?) Victoria Argent? Various dead Hales?  Heck, how about Claudia Stilinski?  She'd at least make a pattern of "people whose deaths make Stiles feel guilty".  :p

Yeah, once we learn the third name I'm sure we will know more. So far the two names have been people that had dated someone in the core group, and died because of the nogitsune. None of the other main characters really died because of the nogitsune. Boyd and Erica were killed by the alpha pack. Oh, and we do know that Erica was killed. They pulled her body out of the vault once they rescued Boyd and Cora. All the other people you listed have ties to the characters in some way, but not in the same way that Allison and Aiden do. Too bad no other character has been killed off with a name that starts with "A". :)

I'm still sort of jonesing on my crack theory that Peter's playing them (especially given his kinda ominous moment in the preview scene for next week) as a bid for power.  Using Allison & Aiden to generally frell with Lydia & co's heads as an opening move seems like a very Peter-ish thing to do.  It'd certainly be interesting if Malia ISN'T on that third list...

That would be an interesting twist. We know that Peter is jonesing for power. He has been since season 1. He's done everything he can to stay alive and manipulate events to favor him. He killed Jennifer and pretty much admitted he wanted Scott's alpha power. Maybe he is organizing this event. It wipes out a lot of the supernatural competition in town and could serve to weaken Scott and his pack.

I'm not sure Peter even knows about Malia yet. Sure he's been close to her but he didn't really seem to recognize her. Then again, he could be faking that knowledge.

I just don't know who the Benefactor could be. They have to be someone who knew about the Hale vault and could manipulate a way into it. They also have to have some way of knowing every supernatural creature in town. The wendigos were very well hidden and yet the Benefactor knew about them. They also have to know about the closeness of Allison to Scott and Aiden to Lydia. We also can't assume that the Benefactor is a human. The Benefactor could have put his or her name on the list just to throw off suspicion.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

That was a good scene though I didn't understand the point of it. Did Derek just want to meet the new beta and make him angry? Was it a test of some kind?
I had the impression that Scott had asked for Derek's advice, and Derek was getting a read on whether the kid really had issues or Scott was just overreacting to normal new-werewolf stuff?  ("You're right. He is angry.")  (And then, he judged it wasn't anything Scott couldn't handle on his own, given Scott's innate awesome-leader-ness. :) ).

I'm not sure Peter even knows about Malia yet.

He knows.  Lydia gave him her name last season, and the bit when they met, with him asking about whether she got her lovely eyes from her father, was him poking at the irony of him knowing more about her parentage than she does.  Why he hasn't taken action on the information in the last four months is a head-scratcher, though.  (Maybe because he was busy hooking up with his old Hale-family contacts and getting together a list of supernatural creatures in the area?  ;) )

So I'm wonder what kind of creature he is?
I wonder if the way he's always so gentle and acting as a calming influence is tied to it somehow?  I guess just "being a really nice guy" or "preternatural calmness" isn't much to go on, but so many of his big scenes involve him stepping in and having the right demeanor to defuse a stressful situation (ha! "defuse" unintentional pun) or soothe jangled nerves.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

He knows.  Lydia gave him her name last season, and the bit when they met, with him asking about whether she got her lovely eyes from her father, was him poking at the irony of him knowing more about her parentage than she does.

I thought Lydia just told him that he had a child but not who it was. I thought him mentioning her eyes was more of an "Oh crap" moment for the others because they were afraid he would find out.

Oh, and something that I've liked about this season so far has been that all of the characters have been used well. Last season Cora was just kind of there. She never really did anything important. This season all of the characters have done something. Even Brett, who looked like he was just going to be a one-off lacrosse foe, turns out to be a werewolf who is used to lure Scott into a trap.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 24 July 2014 - 10:26 PM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

^ She tells him the name later, in the episode where Peter shows Scott the claws-in-the-neck trick to get inside Stiles' head.  He only agrees to help there because Lydia offers Malia's name as "payment".  She whispers it to him right before the whole bandage-vomit thing.

Heh. Edit re: Cora.  I saw in an interview somewhere that they intended to do more with her, but Adelaide Kane got the Reign opportunity, and she had to take time off during filming (as well as not being available for 3B when Reign got picked up, of course).  But, yeah, I agree that everyone's being used to good effect so far.  Still soooo impressed with the Garrett thing... taking what seemed like a completely extraneous hottie and giving him a hell of a reason to exist. :)

Edited by Niko, 24 July 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Heh. Edit re: Cora.  I saw in an interview somewhere that they intended to do more with her, but Adelaide Kane got the Reign opportunity, and she had to take time off during filming (as well as not being available for 3B when Reign got picked up, of course).  But, yeah, I agree that everyone's being used to good effect so far.  Still soooo impressed with the Garrett thing... taking what seemed like a completely extraneous hottie and giving him a hell of a reason to exist. :)

Just saw your edit. It's good to know they had more planned for Cora but I still don't think they used her wisely in 3a. Also agree with Garrett. I really thought he was there to be a friend to Liam and just to kind of hang out and be an extra on the lacrosse field. The fact that he turned out to be an assassin was great. Same with the new doctor being Liam's step-dad and the wendigo kid being a wendigo and the impetus for Scott to bite Liam.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Teen Wolf

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users