Teen Wolf

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Wow...this is actually the first episode of this season that I hated. I found myself yawning half way through.

While I liked seeing Satomi again, it was clear that her sole purpose was to reveal the tea cure.

Now we come to the reason I hated this episode. I try my best to disable "Logical thinking" when watching supernatural shows...but every now and then that because almost impossible. Like when Lydia's mom calls the CDC. Now I don't know what the response time for the CDC is? I'm sure it is probably fast. But IMO no government agency is THAT fast. No government agency is going to mobilized within a few hours, get to a small town within those first few hours, and be able to hermetically seal the entire school. Even on the off chance that they were able to, there is no way that once the CDC is set up and THAT many students would just be allowed to wander off and disappear.

Now we come to Stiles near death experience with the assassin. While it was cool, the assassin's blood spraying Stiles...even with a head shot the odds of a trained assassin being able to squeeze the trigger would be high. Hell the involuntary muscle spasm of death would've cause his gun to fire. But setting that aside...what parent, knowing that his son is obviously infected, is just going to deliver the message about the cure and not immediately follow stiles to where his kid is????

And then there is the way that everyone just "Got better" all at the same time. Even if they were all infected at the same exact time, each person's body is going to react differently. Some will get sicker quicker then others, and some will get better quicker. They aren't all going to just pop up at the same time and say "I'm better now".

Melissa being able to wheel a sick werewolf through a hospital with nobody seeing...not so hard to believe, given the obvious short staffed condition that hospital has to be in, due to recent massacres.

Peter's name not being on the dead pool list is very interesting, about the only interesting thing of this episode.

And now Malia knows the truth about who her dad is...another interesting change.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

The streak of good episodes continues here.

The Chemist was a cool, creepy assassin. He wasn't someone they could fight. The pack can't do anything about a virus ravaging their body. I was afraid he would escape and we would have another Garrett situation on our hands but I'm glad he was shot by Rafael.

Okay, Scott and Stiles should have told Malia about Peter long before now. I get why they didn't and the reasons Stiles listed make sense but her finding out on her own is only going to drive her towards Peter. If they had told her they could have controlled her reaction a little. Nothing good is going to come from this.

I thought they were going to reveal that Coach was some type of supernatural creature since he was getting sick and no adult was. Glad that wasn't the case. I rather he remain human.

So Satomi is alive and kicks all kinds of ass. Her little showdown with Deaton was cool and it's nice to see he has moves too. I was grinning like an idiot when she was dodging all those bullets from the assassin and then just shoved her spike into the woman's throat.

It was also brave and stupid of Derek to jump in front of Satomi considering he is losing his powers and not healing as quickly.

Okay, if Peter wasn't on the list (and I can't believe I never noticed that) then why did the Mute go after him?

I think Stiles is just trying to justify not giving the money back when he said that Peter didn't deserve it. Technically if they don't want to give it to Peter then it should all go to Derek since it is all his money anyways. Stiles wants to keep that money. I can't blame him or Scott for being tempted by it. I bet if they just actually talked to Derek he wouldn't have a problem giving them some of it.

So it was a little convenient that the cure for the disease was mushrooms that just happened to be in the vault. Though there really wasn't any other way to end the threat since no one on the show has the expertise to manufacture a cure.

So Meredith was in the sound proof room at Lydia's cabin. Was she related to Lydia somehow? Does banshee run in her family? I am just feeling so bad for Lydia this season. She wants to use her powers to help but can't get them to work and now she feels guilty over Meredith's suicide.

I wonder if the fact that bearer bonds are rare and how they have to be converted will factor into figuring out who the Benefactor is. I don't see why they would bring it up if it isn't important.

Surprised that Kira's parents haven't wanted to leave town now since Kira and her mother are on the list. Maybe they will now since Kira was attacked at the school.

Stiles got some great moments here. His goodbye to Malia and his little confrontation with the Chemist. Plus him pounding away at the door telling Scott about the mushrooms and then collapsing thinking he has lost his friends.

Yay for Scott's alpha powered vision coming in handy this episode. After Scott not really using any of his alpha werewolf powers to find Liam last episode it's nice to see them used.

Still have no clue who the Benefactor could be. We just don't have enough clues. Or we probably have the clues but they will only make sense once we know who the Benefactor is. Re-watching season 3a knowing that Jennifer was the Darach I noticed little clues that seemed obvious in hindsight.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

Wow...this is actually the first episode of this season that I hated. I found myself yawning half way through.

While I liked seeing Satomi again, it was clear that her sole purpose was to reveal the tea cure.

Now we come to the reason I hated this episode. I try my best to disable "Logical thinking" when watching supernatural shows...but every now and then that because almost impossible. Like when Lydia's mom calls the CDC. Now I don't know what the response time for the CDC is? I'm sure it is probably fast. But IMO no government agency is THAT fast. No government agency is going to mobilized within a few hours, get to a small town within those first few hours, and be able to hermetically seal the entire school. Even on the off chance that they were able to, there is no way that once the CDC is set up and THAT many students would just be allowed to wander off and disappear.

Now we come to Stiles near death experience with the assassin. While it was cool, the assassin's blood spraying Stiles...even with a head shot the odds of a trained assassin being able to squeeze the trigger would be high. Hell the involuntary muscle spasm of death would've cause his gun to fire. But setting that aside...what parent, knowing that his son is obviously infected, is just going to deliver the message about the cure and not immediately follow stiles to where his kid is????

And then there is the way that everyone just "Got better" all at the same time. Even if they were all infected at the same exact time, each person's body is going to react differently. Some will get sicker quicker then others, and some will get better quicker. They aren't all going to just pop up at the same time and say "I'm better now".

Melissa being able to wheel a sick werewolf through a hospital with nobody seeing...not so hard to believe, given the obvious short staffed condition that hospital has to be in, due to recent massacres.

Peter's name not being on the dead pool list is very interesting, about the only interesting thing of this episode.

And now Malia knows the truth about who her dad is...another interesting change.

If mods can combine the two threads, I'd appreciate it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Alright, just saw the trailers for the next episode, on Wolf Watch:

Spoiler

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,686 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Done.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

I did find myself wondering why Satomi used a spike to kill the assassin? I mean aside from the extremely bada$$ martial arts, why not just go all Alpha and kill her...But, then I thought more about it. Especially given how characters seem to come back from the dead, after being killed by a Alpha. So why take the chance on having one come back after you, even stronger then before? so her using the spike made sense, and the visual effects were just bada$$. But as for the rest....didn't like it.

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I had the same qualms as you but they didn't ruin the episode for me. Sure the CDC probably wouldn't mobilize that fast but I just decided to just assume that in the TW universe they do. But yeah, letting Scott, Kira, Malia, and Stiles just wander around the school and not mobilizing people to find them was just stupid.

Yeah, Stiles probably should be dead. Or covered with more gore. Like you, I also found it strange that Rafael didn't follow Stiles so he could save his son. Considering just last episode he was telling Scott that he regrets not being around more he sure didn't seem to care about Scott's safety this week. He should also be questioning why everyone else got better without a cure aside from his son and two of his friends.

I really didn't like that scene. Scott knocks the jar off the shelf, it breaks, and magic cure dust or whatever just spreads across the room and fixes everyone? Really? Come on. I figured they would at least have to eat the stupid mushrooms. Also, they seemed to suggest that only a Hale could open the vault, but Scott opens it from the inside. Is it only when getting into the vault that a Hale is needed?

I'm just glad no one at the hospital died this episode. Usually if there's any kind of supernatural violence occurring at the hospital someone on the staff dies. They really can't lose anyone else. I'm hoping we have at least a season or two of no massacres at the hospital.

I did find myself wondering why Satomi used a spike to kill the assassin? I mean aside from the extremely bada$$ martial arts, why not just go all Alpha and kill her...But, then I thought more about it. Especially given how characters seem to come back from the dead, after being killed by a Alpha. So why take the chance on having one come back after you, even stronger then before? so her using the spike made sense, and the visual effects were just bada$$. But as for the rest....didn't like it.

You have to wonder why an alpha would ever use their claws or teeth to kill anyone. I mean, Peter ripped the crap out of Kate's throat and instead of dying she just got turned. If any bite or scratch no matter how deep or deadly can potentially turn someone I'm surprised that all alphas don't follow Satomi's example. Either that, or they have to be as vicious as possible to whoever it is that they're fighting to make sure that they are as dead as possible.

As for the preview

Spoiler

I missed Liam this episode. Sure he really wasn't needed in the plot but I've come to like the little werepuppy (to borrow the name the fandom seems to have given him) quite a lot. Would have been nice just to check in on him to see how he's recovering from being hit by a car, stabbed with a poisoned blade, and left in a well for an entire day to slowly die from said poison.

Not sure why I never thought about this before, but the Benefactor not only has to know about every supernatural creature in Beacon Hills, but also has to have knowledge of all the assassins who could go after all the supernatural creatures. So far we know that the Mute, the Orphans, the Chemist, the biker gang that Kate killed, and the woman in the hospital have been contacted. How many assassins can there possibly be that not only know about the existence of shape-shifters but can go after them?

This episode also marked the first time that Scott's pack was actively targeted for death. So far the assassins have gone after Satomi's pack and random wendigos. Sure, Violet went after Scott but it wasn't the original plan and she got her butt handed to her. The only reason that Garrett went after Liam was to blackmail Scott. I wonder if this marks a turning point in the season where the assassins will be going after Scott and co. since they are the high value targets.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Virgil Vox, on 05 August 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Not sure why I never thought about this before, but the Benefactor not only has to know about every supernatural creature in Beacon Hills, but also has to have knowledge of all the assassins who could go after all the supernatural creatures. So far we know that the Mute, the Orphans, the Chemist, the biker gang that Kate killed, and the woman in the hospital have been contacted. How many assassins can there possibly be that not only know about the existence of shape-shifters but can go after them?

Good point. That brings the potential candidates down to 2. Either Gerard or Peter. My money is on Gerard. It would make more sense that he would know how to contact the specific assassins. As to why Peter's name isn't on the list, I've no idea on that.

This episode also marked the first time that Scott's pack was actively targeted for death. So far the assassins have gone after Satomi's pack and random wendigos. Sure, Violet went after Scott but it wasn't the original plan and she got her butt handed to her. The only reason that Garrett went after Liam was to blackmail Scott. I wonder if this marks a turning point in the season where the assassins will be going after Scott and co. since they are the high value targets.

Speaking of High Value targets...I loved Malia's reaction when Stile's told her she was worth 4 million. "OK, Scott's worth 25 mill, Kira's worth 6. Yeah, they'll kill you way before they kill me." LMAO! That was just priceless.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

I'm also glad that we got a little more info on Coach's back story... 15 years sober. Hopefully we get a little more info on what happened with him back then.

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Good point. That brings the potential candidates down to 2. Either Gerard or Peter. My money is on Gerard. It would make more sense that he would know how to contact the specific assassins. As to why Peter's name isn't on the list, I've no idea on that.

There are only two other people that I consider credible Benefactor candidates. The first is Araya. Sure she's a hunter but she's completely crazy and has no problem making one teenager electrocute another teenager. Plus she is way too fascinated with what is happening in Beacon Hills considering she is based in Mexico.

The second is Deucalion. Aside from sending Braeden to rescue Peter and Derek at the beginning of season 3b he hasn't been mentioned since Scott and Derek let him go. It's possible he has decided he wants revenge on those who took his pack away and beat him. He would have a good knowledge of supernatural creatures plus it's possible he knew about the Hale vault since it seemed like he and Talia were close.

Speaking of High Value targets...I loved Malia's reaction when Stile's told her she was worth 4 million. "OK, Scott's worth 25 mill, Kira's worth 6. Yeah, they'll kill you way before they kill me." LMAO! That was just priceless.

It was. I am loving Malia even though she should not be anywhere near as functional as she is nor should she be in the same classes as the other kids. I also want to know where her dad is in all this. Does she still live with him?
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I was able to watch the episodes as they aired, but my access to wifi/internet the last couple weeks was abysmal.  :p   I did get enough online time yesterday so I was able to download some podcasts, though, so a good chunk of my 8-hour-drive home today was spent listening to a bunch of Teen Wolf commentary and speculation to make up for my dry spell.  :)

So, anyway, belated comments.  I'm touching on a few things mentioned above, but I'll limit myself to just my own thoughts, rather than taking time to quote:
  • I really loved the moments of Stiles calling out Peter's evilness.  "We let him walk around [...] like he's one of the good guys.  Scott, he's NOT one of the good guys."  I *so* want some sort of confrontation between Stiles and Peter before this is done.  They don't have scenes together often, but they're always fun with how willing Stiles is to just blatantly hate on Peter, and with Malia between them, it could be epic.

• In one of the podcasts, the writer for this episode seemed to be hinting that the Chemist was not around when Satomi's pack actually died - that he's more of a hands-off killer and his physical threat to Stiles was a departure for him.  So, that begs the question of who shot Braeden?

• Kira:  "It's only three hours.  We can survive three hours."   Bwa-ha-ha!   Scott's "OMG, she totally jinxed us." look and Stiles' eye-roll were priceless.

• Yes, there was severely silly TV logic stuff in this with the uber-quick-but-incompetent CDC, Papa McCall not going with Stiles, the magical 'shroom dust, etc... but the ep. was so overloaded with good Scott & Stiles friendship moments with their debates and having conversations with just looks and stuff, I can forgive some silliness in other areas.

• EXCEPT... why, oh, WHY did the magical 'shrooms have to come from the Hales instead of tying them to the Yukimuras somehow?  Noshiko used reishi mushrooms to cure Papa Yukimura after the nogitsune got to him last season, so arranging the storyline so they got them from some stash Papa Y keeps in his desk now or something would have at least been a smidgen less blatantly convenient.   Not sure how you'd still get Scott's hero moment, but I'm not a writer.  :)

• I saw some comments from Holland Roden at a convention a while back where she sounded pretty disenchanted with the show's handling of Lydia's banshee stuff in this season, and I just don't get it. (Unless she was hoping for a screen-time boost like Stiles got last season with the nogitsune stuff, I guess.)  She's really nailing Lydia's struggles this season, and that scene where she's talking to Meredith was beautiful, powerful stuff... and there's obviously more to come.

• Speaking of powerful, I thought the Stiles scene with willing to take a bullet to keep the Chemist from his friends (while still so believably terrified) and the bit with him pounding on the door and collapsing in despair, followed by his and Scott's reunion were a triple-whammy of awesomeness.  So far, it's this season's equivalent of the "Scott, you're my brother" road-flare scene from 3A and the MRI scene in 3B.  Great stuff.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

In one of the podcasts, the writer for this episode seemed to be hinting that the Chemist was not around when Satomi's pack actually died - that he's more of a hands-off killer and his physical threat to Stiles was a departure for him.  So, that begs the question of who shot Braeden?

Interesting. I wonder if the woman who fired at Satomi at the hospital was the one who shot Braden. Where are these podcasts? Might be fun to listen to.

Yes, there was severely silly TV logic stuff in this with the uber-quick-but-incompetent CDC, Papa McCall not going with Stiles, the magical 'shroom dust, etc... but the ep. was so overloaded with good Scott & Stiles friendship moments with their debates and having conversations with just looks and stuff, I can forgive some silliness in other areas.

I'm pretty much the same way. The good stuff usually lets me forgive some of the more silly TV logic stuff.

I saw some comments from Holland Roden at a convention a while back where she sounded pretty disenchanted with the show's handling of Lydia's banshee stuff in this season, and I just don't get it. (Unless she was hoping for a screen-time boost like Stiles got last season with the nogitsune stuff, I guess.)  She's really nailing Lydia's struggles this season, and that scene where she's talking to Meredith was beautiful, powerful stuff... and there's obviously more to come.

I'm surprised at that comment as well. They're doing more with her banshee background this season than they have in the last three. She's had some really powerful material to work with as well. Her goodbye to Meredith was heartbreaking.

Speaking of powerful, I thought the Stiles scene with willing to take a bullet to keep the Chemist from his friends (while still so believably terrified) and the bit with him pounding on the door and collapsing in despair, followed by his and Scott's reunion were a triple-whammy of awesomeness.  So far, it's this season's equivalent of the "Scott, you're my brother" road-flare scene from 3A and the MRI scene in 3B.  Great stuff.

Agreed. That scene, Lydia's goodbye to Meredith, and Scott hugging Liam and telling him he's okay have been some of the best, most emotionally powerful scenes this season. I'm not sure if anything can ever top the road-flare scene but those come close.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Podcasts:
The ones I've been paying most attention to, myself, are the AfterBuzz TV ones (They have a video version, located here, but I subscribe to the podcast version via iTunes.) and "Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast" (also on iTunes).

The AfterBuzz ones seem to have a guest from the production staff on every episode (varying from big guns like Jeff Davis or other writers/directors/actors to the more behind-the-scenes staff).

NATWP is a little more fangirly in that the two main participants are obviously biased toward Derek and have a tendency to belabor a point too long if there's something in an episode that really bugs them, but they're still pretty thorough in discussing the episodes,  and they have enough contacts with the show for occasional interviews with staff.  (For Weaponized, the head writer for that ep. hung out with them for their full episode instead of just popping in for an interview, and it makes for a fairly fun 2 1/2 hours.)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info. Might have to check them out.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Teen Wolf

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users