Motion Capture for Rise of the Tomb Raider

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:07 AM

I'm hoping it is a misguided attempt to dupe people into not realizing it is exclusive for "Holiday 2015".

But I'm assuming anything. They keep talking about "the franchise". Tomorrow they can come out and say, "It is for the duration of this one game."

This is a public relations disaster treating their customers like people you can deceive and play with.

#22 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostRaijin, on 15 August 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm hoping it is a misguided attempt to dupe people into not realizing it is exclusive for "Holiday 2015".

But I'm assuming anything. They keep talking about "the franchise". Tomorrow they can come out and say, "It is for the duration of this one game."

This is a public relations disaster treating their customers like people you can deceive and play with.
I'm right there with you. I'm actually surprised they haven't made a stronger attempt to do damage control. There's really no good way they can spin this, and I honestly think the only way to undo some of the damage is to just admit to the game being a timed exclusive. The fact they won't say that still has me a little concerned but I'm at least a little more hopeful that I might actually get to play this game at some point. Still, I don't want to assume anything. Otherwise I'll probably just be more disappointed than I already am...
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#23 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

I wonder what Crystal Dynamics and Microsoft were thinking when they decided to go this route? Sure they have every right to make Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive but I just don't see what they hoped to gain. Fans generally don't like it when a game series that has been more or less available on all platforms. If it was always going to be a timed release they should have just said that upfront.

I don't know if I'd necessarily rent games either but it's always nice to have the option, especially if it's a game I'm on the fence about.

For the longest time I never really rented games but I've found myself doing it more. It's cheaper in the long run and there are some games that, while I enjoyed them, I would probably never play them again. Then there are the instances where the game was just bad and I was very glad I didn't buy it like Deadpool. Then you have a game like South Park: Stick of Truth where I loved it and hopefully will get it on my birthday.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#24 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

I don't know if there's anything logical going on with this decision beyond Microsoft writing Square-Enix a giant check.

#25 Raijin

Raijin
  • Islander
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

Microsoft has made many mistakes this generation. And this I feel like is one of them. Not only because their shady tactic is bad PR but also as much as I love Tomb Raider I don't think it is a system seller and it wont give Microsoft what they want.

As far as Square Enix goes. They are not known for logic. They want a quick buck and have proved not to be thinking much in the long run. The previous game was declared a failure because it wasn't a massive hit after just 3 weeks (!) from release even though it was selling well and had good momentum. Then after a year it "exceeded profit expectations". SE jumped the gun then and maybe now too.

PS4 version would be guaranteed to have bigger sales than Xbox One. Which means SE should have gotten a massive check as compensation for those lost sales and MS needed to pay more than it ever got in return. And I doubt very much this happened. Not only that but there is a very real possibility the player base will decrease overall as a result of this and this will be bad for the franchise's future even if Microsoft check was massive in the short run.

#26 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

I agree. This was just one mistake in a series of mistakes. Tomb Raider is a great franchise but it just doesn't have the pull that it used to have and it's certainly has nowhere near the pull of most of the big exclusives on other platforms. And to make the decision even worse, they've alienated people that have been fans of the franchise for over a decade. That's generally a pretty stupid business move. It might be smart for Square Enix in the short term but it's a serious failure when it comes to the big picture. Sure, it's great to have an immediate influx of cash but it's far better to have less money initially and grow it over a period of years.

Crystal Dynamics' reboot of Tomb Raider created the best game in the series to date. Ignoring the hardcore fans that hate everything not designed by Toby Gard and a Lara that doesn't have watermelons for breasts, it really is the best game in the series. Not taking full advantage of that is pure stupidity. Or arrogance. Or maybe both. It might be easier to treat customers like statistics but there's a definite relationship between business and consumer that should be built up. Failing to do that is generally a very bad long-term plan.

Edited by NeuralClone, 18 August 2014 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users