2 replies to this topic

#1 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

BBC News - American Air Strikes in Iraq

So not too long after full combat troops have withdrawn it looks like there's western military intervention in Iraq once again. At least over here I would say if feels like there is a significant distaste for any more troops on the ground anywhere. Today's enemy is the Islamic State (ISIS or ISIL) army that's cutting through Iraq. The current airstrikes appear to have been motivated by the defence of the Yazidis population who were forced to flee to a mountain as their main city was captured. Humanitarian efforts from Britain and France are going ahead but the US is the only country to intervene with air strikes.

At least the British news (not that I've watched too much today) appears to be quiet about the possibility of a UN response to the current problems in Iraq. Any thoughts anyone?

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Iraq has been our ally since about Jan 2004, and who can see that changing anytime ever? we still need someone to provide some stability in that area, and who can provide? we created a sit where we just must be allies with Iraq full stop; and now this caliphate thing stole a bunch of hardware in both Iraq and Syria and made a double reverse invasion, and who else is there really? so we just must help in some ways and be allies with Iraq; we are not thrilled with al Maliki, but then we are not really allies with him personally we are with the people overall, their 'we the people' because, what else is there? but we spent a trillion dollars on their national forces, they just Must do a better job(cough, erm, corruption?, hack, i'll be better) of executing their security.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

ISIS Post PR Photos They Took With John McCain

http://countercurren...th-john-mccain/

Remember when Senator John McCain went to Syria and met with factions of rebels fighting the Assad regime?
As it turns out, the group that he was meeting with was a particular subset of rebels in Syria, who we now know as ISIS.
That’s right, the very same terrorist group ISIS which is carrying out ruthless acts of terror and crime in Iraq as we speak, was who McCain was meeting with in Syria....

I'm not even going to pretend to be surprised.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, Iraq War, Islamic State, ISIL

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users