Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel Television

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

So, I picked up Season 1 on DVD and recently rewatched it.

What I found was a series that worked better as a whole, than as it was initially running.

That is, once I knew the ending, I was in a position to appreciate what they were establishing early on.  That the diagrams that Garrett and Coulson were drawing had first appeared in an early episode ("Eye Spy") was something I totally missed the first time through -- and certainly didn't remember when they reappeared in the final episode ... therefore, yeah, it was planted, but the pay-off went unappreciated.  So, I really did need to see the pay-off in order to recognize the significance of the information that Ward had gotten.

As it initially aired, however, I found season one kind of lurched along, with a lot of stuff being shown that seemingly went no-where at least until T.R.A.C.K.S., when they started delivering somekind of payoff for what was being planted.

Hopefully, season 2 will keep the momentum that the second half of season one had established.

Then there are the bonus features:

There isn't a whole lot here.  A short featuring the cast's debut at the San Diego Comic-Con when they premiered the first episode; video-blogs from the production; a blooper reel; and deleted scenes which contained some good stuff:

The best of which (IMHO) were from "Seeds."

How Fitz and Simmons first met, according to Simmons and then according to Fitz.  Admittedly, while those scenes were nice character moments, I can see why they were cut as they didn't advance the plot, that said it supported my supposition that Fitz had feelings for Simmons that she simply didn't see (a matter brought forward in "the Beginning of the End")

Also, another fun deleted scene, this time from "The HUB" had May practicing Tai Chi when Simmons enters, and basically May is shutting down all her conversational gambits -- 'cause she knows Simmons is going to ask for something -- until Simmons confesses to shooting somebody.  The expression on May's face is priceless, as is her resigned response "where's the body?"

So, while these were fun, I did kind of wish that there were more to the bonus features than what we got ... apparently some episodes do have commentary on them, though I haven't tried that function yet.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

What I found was a series that worked better as a whole, than as it was initially running.

That's good to hear. I actually stopped watching the show at the beginning because it just felt like it was spinning its wheels. I came back after the whole Hydra plot just to see how they would handle it. I probably won't get the DVD anytime soon but I do want to re-watch it from the beginning.

So, while these were fun, I did kind of wish that there were more to the bonus features than what we got ... apparently some episodes do have commentary on them, though I haven't tried that function yet.

It kind of surprises me that they didn't go all out with the bonus features. I would have thought there would be a ton here. I figured there would be an entire featurette talking about the Hydra twist alone.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Traditionally, Marvel has always included more bonus features on the Blu-Ray releases (such as the one-shots) that do not appear on DVD.  Since I only picked up the DVD, I shouldn't be surprised ... but I can lament it.

For example, the Marvel One-Shots are only available on Blu-Ray releases (and Youtube).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Traditionally, Marvel has always included more bonus features on the Blu-Ray releases (such as the one-shots) that do not appear on DVD.  Since I only picked up the DVD, I shouldn't be surprised ... but I can lament it.

For example, the Marvel One-Shots are only available on Blu-Ray releases (and Youtube).

It does seem like the Blu-Ray version might have more bonus features.

I have to admit, I don't own any season on Blu-Ray. I know it looks better and is the new technology but when I see a DVD that's cheaper (especially when it comes to box sets) I'm going to buy that to save some money.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

I missed much of the season when it aired so I do want to see the entire season on DVD and the same will probably said about the second season as well.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,469 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 15 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

It does seem like the Blu-Ray version might have more bonus features.

I have to admit, I don't own any season on Blu-Ray. I know it looks better and is the new technology but when I see a DVD that's cheaper (especially when it comes to box sets) I'm going to buy that to save some money.

I can't say I blame you.  

Myself, I've built up too large a collection of DVD's to simply switch over to Blu-Ray (though I understand Blu Ray players do play the traditional DVD's).  But the idea that the Blu-Ray releases include bonus features not available on DVD's just annoys the heck out of me as I see it as a blatant ploy by the Industry to "encourage" people to make the switch.

Much like the whole FiOS thing which requires that I buy a new computer just so I can take advantage of it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 16 September 2014 - 07:38 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

I can't say I blame you.  

Myself, I've built up too large a collection of DVD's to simply switch over to Blu-Ray (though I understand Blu Ray players do play the traditional DVD's).  But the idea that the Blu-Ray releases include bonus features not available on DVD's just annoys the heck out of me as I see it as a blatant ploy by the Industry to "encourage" people to make the switch.

It annoys me as well. It has to be a movie that I absolutely love (like Man of Steel) and know that I will watch all the special features (again like Man of Steel) for me to buy the Blu-Ray just for extra content.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel Television

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users