• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

iOS 5.1.1 has the ability to "play all" for videos related to TV episodes. Basically for any TV series you have, you can just press one button and it plays all of the episodes you have for that season back-to-back-to-back. It was great for people like me who fall asleep to the TV.....just hit play and an entire season of DS9 plays for 18 hrs.

For some reason they dumped this feature. I was hoping that they would bring it back with iOS 8 but alas, just upgraded and nada. So what I am hoping for is some workaround. Either some way to activate it, or a good video player to use instead of the iOS one where I can just tell it to play everything in my library back to back.

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Supposedly VLC exists for iOS but it only shows up in web searches and not in the iTunes store itself. So it's currently impossible to download it on a non-jailbroken phone. I'm not sure if it supports a play all option or not anyway.

The main video player that seems to show up most often is called PlayerXtreme HD (PentaLoop is the developer). It's free so you can try it out first. I don't have any experience with it myself but it seems to be fairly highly rated. It does require iOS 7 or later, though.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:35 AM

OK will try to check it out in the next few days. Thanks for the info

#4 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

On first look its just the thing I needed. However, when I attempt to play something I get a unable to play error on everything. No cause is listed but it might be copyright protection.

I am still playing with it tho.

#5 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

Mark: I really want you to try the FREE DivX Media Player, DivX Video Converter, and of course, the DivX Video Codec pack. All are available at the DivX link I've given you for FREE download and use.
After I downloaded and started using the free DivX Media Player, I found it has very little trouble playing anything I have in my video library.

From the DivX website...

DivX Software is the first of its kind, award-winning video software that lets anyone play, create and stream their favorite videos, including DivX, MKV and HEVC up to 4K. A free download of DivX software delivers a software media player, video converter, DLNA media server and web player extension as well as free trials of plug-ins that take your video and audio experience to the next level.

It has sub-components available for download, like the DivX Video Converter I've already mentioned.
(DivX Video Converter) converts your video material to other formats...say you wanted to get your stream Internet video ready to played on your DVD player, or change it a format that would be appropriate for your smartphone. They even have a plugin that supports converting your videos to the new 4k Ultra-High Definition format!

Remember, without the proper video CODEC available for any video player program, it won't play. Always download any available free codex upgrades for whatever program you end up using. When you download the DivX Media Player, also download their codec pack.

Also, it's been my experience that no video player plays 'em all. I often have to switch to QuickTime to play certain files properly. I hate QuickTime, because it (my free version anyway) never displays full-screen video on my PC...only a very small screen is available for my QuickTime version.

If you don't like DivX, go to CNET and download MPC-HC. Or you can download this program directly from the MPC-HC website.  It's a very nice and absolutely free video player that I like better than VLC (at least so far). After reading this thread I downloaded VLC just to give it a try...I like to try different free video players with good reputations. So many of these free downloads have viruses, or other undesirables embedded in them. Often they aren't put there by the program's creator, but from the people who make the program available for download. That's always a good thing to remember for any of us who like to download free programs off the Internet.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Edited by Mark, 24 September 2014 - 09:51 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#6 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

Well I got playerextreme off the Itunes app store, so its a little safer than just downloading from the net.

Will look at your suggestions sat when I got some free time. Hopefully they work on my Ipad. Thanks!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users